Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on a fish finder?

Found the items at a West Marine store. After playing with them, are back down to the Lowrance and the Hummimgbird. The biggest difference appears to be touchscreen or not. My iPad has a touchscreen and I wonder how easy it is to get fish slime and scratches on the touchscreen. Is this a real issue?

This was posted yesterday on another forum that I'm a member of:

My Elite 5 got wet. It powers up, but the screen stays black. Twice Iíve called Lowrance customer service and, after a lengthy wait was able to describe my issue, get put on hold again, then asked to take a survey and hung up on.
    What gives?

Better-any advice for getting my unit fixed?
    2003 Jetcraft SK2125, Yamaha 150, Yamaha T8, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually

nuff said. Helps a lot in the choosing.

Guess I need to call Hummingbird and have a chat with their technical folks as to model of unit and transducer set up. Thanks, SuperD

Default Striker4`

If you're on a limited budget, I don't think you can go wrong with a Garmin Striker 4. I have one and it has Chirp and so forth. No mapping in this model but it works really well on my float tube. I bought a lithium battery (imported it myself from China) for it and it can go for about 1.5 days continuous without a chargeup. I also have a small backup battery (also lithium) if I'm on a long trip, but I have never had a battery go dead. The lithium batteries save space and run longer because lead-acid batteries can only be safely discharged to about 50 percent state of charge. Lithium can be run down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12