Thread: wheel bearings

Default wheel bearings

What type of oil are you guys using in your oil filled hubs and how often do you replace the oil?

I know this doesn’t directly answer your question....have you checked with your hub and/or trailer manufacturer for their recommendations? I had oil bath hubs on one of my trailers....as long as the oil looked clean and to the right level I never changed it.

All my trailer and boat info is in the boat under a cover with about a foot and a half of snow on top. I called a local dealer and a salesman told me just any oil would work. S you can see why I asked the wizards on this site.
    I hope I haven't started an oil thread.

What brand of trailer do you have? Maybe we can help if we know that. I think most will recommend 80 or 90 wt synthetic oil.

Unless you are driving coast to coast on a regular basis, you should get thousands of miles and years of service from your oil. The trick is to pay close attention to the clarity. Some of the cheap caps are prone to cracks and leaks. Water in your oil is what will kill you.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I contacted another dealer who I trust a little more and they recommend 80/90 wt.
    Just like SuperD figured, look for dark or milky color to indicate condition of oil.
    I think I'll change the oil in mine just so I know It's good to go.
    Thanks for the help.

JD, do you have the all plastic caps or the metal with the plastic window? Upgrade caps are available.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk