Thread: Hoochies

Default Hoochies

Cant remember if it was on this site or another but I read where some plastic beads and hoochies were almost melting together, I went to re-tie a few of my abused hoochies and noticed this. So do you guys only tie with glass beads or do you re-tie your hoochies every year if this happens?

Sometimes I can salvage the hoochie and sometimes I have to toss the whole thing. It is in part why I don't pre-tie a lot of lures. I have my 100+ pre-tied leaders and tie every evening while at the lake for the next day. Carry a bead & blade box and it makes lure storage management a lot easier.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Thanks Dave, so you don't specifically use glass beads then?
    Last edited by Twanger; 02-12-2019 at 02:58 PM.

Just my opinion, glass beads are heavier and risk reducing the action of the hoochie.

Dave do you think that glass beads make more noise or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Twanger View Post
    Dave do you think that glass beads make more noise or not?
    In a hootchie application, I don’t. The primary purpose of beads in a hootchie is simply as a spacer. Bass guys really like them because they are hoping or jigging baits to give the beads the clacking noise.

Try a bobber stop and a single bead.

On occasion, I like using a stacker bead with the fat bead at the back to flare the tentacles.

you can buy the correct beads from the lure making companies , i just get them from RMT

This is a bit off the subject about hoochies but I do use glass beads on some of my spinner rigs and I do think they make a difference. I think they refract the light different more than make noise but that just my opinion.

Default Twanger

I had some issues with a certain brand were the hoochies would melt from the UV from the sun and heat. I was never a big fan of hoochies after that. I then with experience didn't like there size to big. I then went to a micro hoochies and had my best results. I felt the right wobbled was more affective given the hoochies the action these days. I design my own tube flys with great success. Where color really matters.

Default No fish

I also prefer glass beads I think it's the noise the colors are brighter. I'm lucky here in my home town we have two bead shops that got some assume stuff. These days I go small.I also use smiley blades there designed to spin at very low speeds like 1.2 or so they work.. Just food for thought
    Last edited by mrmike; 02-17-2019 at 10:16 PM.

this thread is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by chukardave1 View Post
    Try a bobber stop and a single bead.
    Yep, bobber stops and soft oval glow beads. The melting issue i had was mainly with a certain company years back that used transparent colored plastic beads... they have since fixed the problem. On a side note.. try rigging up apex's with bobber stops to adjust your hook set- back... some days they like the corn trailing by one to three inches!

Can someone please post up a picture of one of your Hoochies with that bobber stop and soft bead, want to try this set-up, but want to make sure i am rigging it up correctly.
    Thanks..

You guy's must be all out fishing, lol.....

I am having trouble uploading a photo. But not much to what I do. I rarely even use a bead, just the bobber stop. Slide it on after I tie up the hooks the slide the hootchie on above it. Most of my hootchies have a small enough opening at the top that I don't need a bead, the bobber stop is large enough to not slip through. Even use a sewing needle on a lot of hootchies to thread the leader through the top of the hootchie. Hope this helps

I made this video some of you may have seen it
    I'm not real good at making videos but made it to show how I do some things.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRSCdgHA3X0&t=82s
    I think I catch as many kokanee as any one.
    the last two years I have liked the micro (Little) hootchie best.

A couple of thoughts on this thread. Glass beads don't make any noise unless you have a spinner blade spanking them.
    If you need to use a bobber stop to adjust your hook set on an Apex you are running the wrong lure to begin with.
    Do glass beads have more sparkle, again change baits if you are all the way down to a gnats ass and still not catching fish.
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

A while back I contacted Silver Horde about this very issue. They are aware that some of the hoochies and some beads are not compatible. They make a bead that will not melt when using in a hoochie. Contact them and they can help you out, I'm sure. I can not find them is stores though.