Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Anderson Ranch Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

Fished Anderson again today from 830-130. Kept 8, released 1. Lost another 4. Good sized fish, up to 18". The water level is up a few feet from last weekend. I only fished to lester creek and as far as i could see there was no ice. There was some debris, i suspect it will get worse as the run off increases. All in all it was another good trip.

Fished the power lines from 9 to 2. Put 3 and 3 in the boat with the smallest being a 15 1/2” Chinook. 15’ was the deepest catch but most were on longline 60’ out with 1oz.

Love the way some people have no courtesy whatsoever at a boat ramp... Felt like Spring Shores.

Which ramp?

Quote Originally Posted by Bog Jumper View Post
    Which ramp?
    The dam ramp. Is there another one open?

Default Northeast end of lake

Access looked limited on the upper end of the lake on Saturday.Ice was the story there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3302019.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	9610

Waiting for Curlew or higher water. Can't launch in the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Bog Jumper View Post
    Waiting for Curlew or higher water. Can't launch in the mud.
    You don’t have to. I used the concrete ramp yesterday.

No that's good info. Maybe I'll use it tomorrow. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dustyjohns View Post
    You don’t have to. I used the concrete ramp yesterday.
    Was that at the dam end and did you get a look at Curlew if it's feasible? 🐟🐟🐟

Default Curlew conditions

The ice picture my son took last weekend was at the Curlew end. Never bothered to go down to the launch.

Fished Yesterday from about 9-5, first run of the year and man the word is out you can get your boat in for sure. It was a long slow day for us, we boated 2 kokes, 2 nooks, and 1 rainbow. We only marked one school all day, and end up catching one out of that group. We used different colors, depths, long lines, and we just couldn't mark any fish. We talked to a few at the launch and they said it was slow as well but they were still catching a few. Anyone boating any good numbers would like to share the depths their catching them?

Quote Originally Posted by JagerR View Post
    Fished Yesterday from about 9-5, first run of the year and man the word is out you can get your boat in for sure. It was a long slow day for us, we boated 2 kokes, 2 nooks, and 1 rainbow. We only marked one school all day, and end up catching one out of that group. We used different colors, depths, long lines, and we just couldn't mark any fish. We talked to a few at the launch and they said it was slow as well but they were still catching a few. Anyone boating any good numbers would like to share the depths their catching them?
    My first three trips I kept 25 kokanee. 5 hours a trip. All the fish were caught from 45-74' Mostly in that 60ish range. I have been trying to keep one rod with a longer set back so I can adjust that rod up or down if I mark a school. Not sure what everyone else has been doing, but I've been happy with the results. Hope this helps. Good luck

Thanks Jack, I was defiantly fishing to shallow. My thoughts were, not seeing them on the fish finder, they had to be on top and they were dodging my boat. But the two kokes we did catch were at the 50ft range. Gotta try a few different locations next run and hope for the best.

Took the wife out yesterday. We launched at the dam along with everyone else. We fished from 8am to 4pm. We ended up with 8 kokes and released 3 trout. We didn't mark any fish until the fall creek area, there we found one good school that really wanted to play but we had a hard time staying on top of them. We fished 4 poles from 15-60ft and didn't catch anything deeper than 30ft. The fish seemed to like the willow blade flashers best, which is odd for me. Color didnt seem to matter much. On a side note the meat of the kokes is much more bright orange than the fish we've been catching at lucky peak and arrowrock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190407_100718.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	9612  

Default Fished Saturday

Fishing was slow fished from noon to dark caught 9 lost 6. Could only catch them shallow 10 ft range most came longe lining with spinners. When we would catch them all the rods would go off. Then nothing for hours even on the same school. The water was raising fast but has good color. Don’t forget rain gear and a heater cause it’s still winter up there.

We fished the narrow just downstream from Lime creek and brought 8 home. Released 5 nice rainbows and a couple small kokes. They were very sporadic and I changed colors quite a bit. Started off on top then went from 13ish to 30 feet and had hits on all of them. Is there a technique or something different that can be done to not lose so many right before the net?

Get a longer net. The rubberized one with an extendable handle. Worth its weight in gold. Imo.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleLucas View Post
    Get a longer net. The rubberized one with an extendable handle. Worth its weight in gold. Imo.
    I’m running the long slide out Ego 2. Pretty sure the net handle length isn’t the problem. Unless you know of something with a 30’ handle?

Is there a technique or something different that can be done to not lose so many right before the net?
    Use a two hook setup and fight the fish to exhaustion farther from the boat. The short line near the boat has less give and allows the fish more leverage on the hook to pull it loose. Kokanee have a tendency to go crazy when they see the boat and that is when the line is the shortest.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

im hoping to get out next weekend. I just wanted to say how odd I find it when I hear you guys say you catch trout. I have fished Anderson for 7 years. I have caught hundreds and hundreds of kokes and nooks. The only trout I ever caught was a Bull. Last year we had 3 trips with 2 man limits, and 3-4 with 20-30 fish. No bows ever
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    Use a two hook setup and fight the fish to exhaustion farther from the boat. The short line near the boat has less give and allows the fish more leverage on the hook to pull it loose. Kokanee have a tendency to go crazy when they see the boat and that is when the line is the shortest.
    Thank you! I only use 2 hook lures. But that makes sense getting them to tire out before getting close. I’ll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by terek View Post
    I just wanted to say how odd I find it when I hear you guys say you catch trout.
    Yesterday was definitely a new one for me. I’ve picked up a trout here and there at Anderson. But nothing like yesterday.

Thank you! I only use 2 hook lures. But that makes sense getting them to tire out before getting close. I’ll give it a try.
    And don’t high stick em. I see a lot of guys standing up on their toes in their boat high sticking their rod, reeling basically over their head. If you bring em to the surface too fast close to the boat they’re gonna freak out, roll like crazy and spit that hook. Keep em below the surface right to the boat and have a good net man. If you’re doing that already, try sharpening your hooks and keep a nice steady pressure on the line when working em and bringing em in. This time of year their mouths are pretty soft and you can’t horse em in.

I’ve never thought about sharpening hooks! Most everything yesterday was new stuff I pulled out of my Charge Box. (I didn’t want to leave Chris’ with just an empty box LoL)

Keep the rod tip down more then? I’m use to fighting a lot bigger so keeping the tip up is just habit. Letting the fish fight the rod I mean.

Default Try This

[QUOTE=dustyjohns;63838]I’m running the long slide out Ego 2. Pretty sure the net handle length isn’t the problem. Unless you know of something with a 30’ handle?[/QUOTE

I have had good luck keeping the rod tip low to the water when they get close to the boat. Don't lift up, pull to the side. Using a snubber also seems to help. Watch the video "controlling the kok" http://www.kokabowtackle.com/videos.html

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast