Thread: 2019 Dworshak Reservoir Kokanee Report

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by onemorecast View Post
    Fishing in general and Kokanee in particular are about being in the right place at the right time. Dworshak has been the right place this year I just can't seem to be there on a hot fishing day. We were up 2 weeks ago and spent the entire day in Elk Creek, and only managed to get 10 in the boat. I talked to a fellow fisherman at the cleaning station at Big Eddy and the day before he had caught a limit, that day he only got 8, and several were small. This is the first year I have ever had downriggers, they have been outfishing the long lines and lead. Brad's pink magic kokanee cut plug tipped with scented corn has been my most productive lure. We're planning on being up on Sunday. I'm going to try stacking lines for the 1st time. I hope it doesn't turn into a big birds nest. This may be the last Koke run for us if they don't cooperate. I really don't want to make the journey to Granddad, even though I know that's where they are headed. I've learned a lot this year and am looking forward to next year.
    Tomorrow (sunday) I get one more trip up before harvest starts. I've been blessed this year with getting to go up about once a week or every other week since May. Been a great year, and like you said, a lot of that is the luck of guessing right most days and getting at least a few fish (other than one time). Plus I am not afraid to spend an entire morning mixing speeds, colors, presentations, scents, how noisy or subtle the gear is and depths. A lot of the success for me this year has been persistence and better electronics.

I wish you best on trying the stacking... I never had much luck going there, seemed I spent more time getting gear in and out of the water than I did fishing. Of course, that may be just because I'm fumbling around and don't know what I'm doing. Look forward to hearing how it works out for you.

I wasn't planning on going up past Magnus tomorrow (sunday), but after reading Sean's article, I think it best to shoot on up. So I am filling another gas can and prepping to cruise up further. Thanks for the post. Sean is who I called and expressed appreciation for the great fishery last week. Good guy.

Hope to see you on the water.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fishing April 2014.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	9772

Rick
    Last edited by ricks; 08-03-2019 at 06:38 PM.
    Gray/White Bluewater - Stop and say howdy!