Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Dworshak Reservoir Kokanee Report

We fished Sunday with good success. Everyone on the lake had nets out. Since 12000 CFS is being released from the dam, I guess we can bury the theory that the bite stops while they are dumping water.

Quote Originally Posted by kgb2232 View Post
    I've been cruising this forum for a few weeks to keep up on when to go back up after the last 2 trips of nothing so I figured I needed to contribute. We trolled for 5 hours yesterday and out of the 12 or so boats around us, we saw one boat catch one fish. That made it real awkward when everyone kept staring at us while we killed it. We fished 3 different set-ups and all did great. We fished pier to pier at Dent bridge and a couple hundred yards up river to the bridge as the afternoon warmed up. About 12:30 hundreds of small salmon started jumping all over and slowly moved up river and most of the boats just followed but we stayed the same path we had all day. We fished one rig with small pink and silver bells with 1oz at 50' behind the boat. My other rig was a set of large cow bells with 2oz at 65'. Both tipped with garlic corn and maggots. My 4 year old was fishing a dodger with 2oz at 50' with a green wedding ring and Fire corn. He caught 5 fish very quick and for most of the day was ahead of me. We boated 28 fish between 8-12" but I lost 3 at the boat (I don't use a net, just the sling them in method) and had over 30 strikes that just didn't produce. I was marking huge schools all day and when the small ones were jumping on the surface, we would get 3-4 strikes each pass 100' downriver behind those groups.

Hey Ice,

Do you think those small Koke jumping out of the water are maybe being pursued by predators? I mean, do you have big salmon up there like Chinook? THANKS

Default Quick trip

Started at 12:45 today by the dam. Trolled in front of dam and went towards Bruce’s eddy. Found a bunch of schools at about 15-30 feet down. Caught two in an hour on silver Kokanee stringers and a pink spinner with a pink maggot and garlic egg tip. Only fished for an hour.

Default Where are the schools?

Quote Originally Posted by icelander View Post
    Well, it appears either everybody's busy fishing, nobody's fishing, or everyone is tight lipped lol! I hope to fish Tuesday and will post results.
    Hope to get out in the morning. Anyone having success and where are the best areas?

Quote Originally Posted by Elkchaser View Post
    Hope to get out in the morning. Anyone having success and where are the best areas?
    My luck was at Bruce’s Eddy about 60 feet from shore (140 feet depth) and one ounce weight out 50 feet. Near the boat launch. Some experienced (old) guys told me between 7 and 10 they killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Getnlucky View Post
    My luck was at Bruce’s Eddy about 60 feet from shore (140 feet depth) and one ounce weight out 50 feet. Near the boat launch. Some experienced (old) guys told me between 7 and 10 they killed it.
    Thanks, we'll stay in close and see what happens. I'll let you know how we did.

Default Went Out Memorial Day

We went out Memorial Day and even though we got a late start caught 7 Kokes and two trout. We Put in at Freeman Creek and motored about 9:30 am over to the mouth of Canyon creek. We had been told by a friend they were about 28 feet down and that was about where we stayed all day. We fished two rods with cowbells and a 1/2 oz weight and one chartreuse wedding ring spinner and the other orangeish pink. Both having two hooks on each spinner baited with regular shoe-peg corn on the front hook. We would make a large oval around the floating bathroom and back out to the mouth of Canyon creek. There were about 5 other boats making this circle with us in one fashion or another. I saw a few of them land fish as well. Since this was our first real outing of the year we had to fine tune our reeling in speed and netting technique because we lost 4 or 5 next to the boat. We switched over to the orangeish pink spinner on both after they showed a preference for that color. We quit Koke fishing at 1:45 pm and fished small mouth after that. It was a good day overall. Now we will work on catching more fish.

Default The fish are back

Quote Originally Posted by kokaneecowboy View Post
    We went out Memorial Day and even though we got a late start caught 7 Kokes and two trout. We Put in at Freeman Creek and motored about 9:30 am over to the mouth of Canyon creek. We had been told by a friend they were about 28 feet down and that was about where we stayed all day. We fished two rods with cowbells and a 1/2 oz weight and one chartreuse wedding ring spinner and the other orangeish pink. Both having two hooks on each spinner baited with regular shoe-peg corn on the front hook. We would make a large oval around the floating bathroom and back out to the mouth of Canyon creek. There were about 5 other boats making this circle with us in one fashion or another. I saw a few of them land fish as well. Since this was our first real outing of the year we had to fine tune our reeling in speed and netting technique because we lost 4 or 5 next to the boat. We switched over to the orangeish pink spinner on both after they showed a preference for that color. We quit Koke fishing at 1:45 pm and fished small mouth after that. It was a good day overall. Now we will work on catching more fish.
    Got on the water about 9am at Mary's Bay. Had a hit and a loss within 5 minutes . Another hit and a loss 5 minutes later and then we put one in the cooler soon after. Played around with weight and color of spinners and finally settled in on 2 oz and 40 feet out with an orange spinner blade and shoepeg corn. 2 of us in the boat brought home 28 and lost probably 15. Longest fish was 13" and many around 12". Not a bad day. They slowed way down around 2pm and we bunched it.

Like Kokaneecowboy we fished canyon creek on memorial day as well. Kokaneecowboy you would have noticed us two bouncing kids in a tracker not being too quiet. We caught 17, lost 8-10 at the boat and at least 17 or as many short strikes where the rod shook for at least 2 head shakes. We ran laps around the floating toilet and either sides of the canyon creek arm. 2 rods with 2 ounces at 100 ft, macks flashlites (silver and chartreuse), red/green wedding rings nickel blades, with pautkzes fire cure pink corn, maggots, and kokanee smelly jelly worked best, 2 other rods 4 ounces at 40 feet same colored flashlites and wedding rings. Marked several schools consistently 20-30 ft down, did see several fish rolling on the surface as well. Reservoir was very calm and not too many boats or debris drifting around. We got started around 8 and fished til 130, best bite seemed to be 9-11, sunny til 12 then clouded up a bit. Clouds may've affected the bite on our primarily red baits. briefly tried tuna and brads kokanee cut plugs but the wedding rings proved to be the winning combo for Monday anyways. Looking to get back out on Saturday. Love seeing the reservoir so close to full pool looks like a like.

Default Yes, we saw you...

We were in the Green Hewescraft and my boys were none to quiet either.

Default Finally out Tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by stevec View Post
    Will be going out after the holiday once I get my boat out of hock at Miller Marine in Orofino. Would appreciate any updates anyone has on the lake this weekend. I plan on using sling blades & dodgers for the first time ever!
    Thanks
    Finally got boat wet Tuesday! Launched around 10 & played around testing boat for awhile and then headed up to Canyon Creek. I used a UV sling blade & super fly trolling fly (Sandpoint made) with 1 oz out 100'. The kokes just hammered it! The other pool had flashlight & green & red beaded wedding ring with 2 oz out 80'. Both outfits caught fish! Didn't keep any as I know I wasn't going to be on the water long. Next time!

Fished Indian creek area on Saturday. Ended up with 30 fish between 3 people. Most productive were a wedding ring (white blade, red green body) behind chartreuse flash lites pautkzes fire corn, maggots, and mikes glo scent kokanee. Fished it with 2 oz at 100 ft back. Other was a sling blade with pink squid using same bait and scent. Used 2 oz at 30 feet and it did very well also. Third rod did okay with silver flashlites and red wedding ring catching 6 fish or so. Marked a lot of fish in the 15-30 foot range and later in the day saw a few groups around the 40 ft mark. Initially started a couple hundred yards from shoreline and progressively got closer to shore as the day went. First wave runners and wake boarders were observed for the season. Beautiful day hope to get out again next weekend.

Sounds like the kokes are broadly scattered which is cool. Caught some fish everywhere we hunted but dialed in at No Tellem' shoreline and 3 of us put near limits on ice. Only saw one other boat. Fished traditional, added way more rubber stretchers and broke out the net as they seem softer mouthed this year....or is it me? Kicking the motor out of gear to land put more in the net too. Probably averaged 11" or so. Beautiful day on the water and sweet to have the res nearly full already.

Default Boat in camping

Thinking about going to a boat in campground soon. Anyone else doing this yet? Used to camping the old fashioned way in improved campgrounds in tents. We don't have a RV. Any advise on the wildlife I might encounter? I would appreciate helpful input.

Thinking about going to a boat in campground soon. Anyone else doing this yet? Used to camping the old fashioned way in improved campgrounds in tents. We don't have a RV. Any advise on the wildlife I might encounter? I would appreciate helpful input.
    The mini camps can be great when the pool is full. Friends had bear trouble once and abandoned camp due to aggressive behavior of the bear. They were at a mini camp near the mouth of Elk Creek. They didn't have a gun. Personally I fear the mosquitoes and skunks most of all! Hopefully the ticks are winding down.

I'd have an adequate firearm and mosquito repellent. There's a better chance of sinking your truck at the boat launch than encountering an aggressive predator, but the firearm adds confidence (and better sleep:) especially when you're skilled at using it safely. Critters can get into your food, so cache it securely when away and at night. And have fun having a pristine camp on the water all to yourself!

Default School location

Does anyone think the fish are moving up the lake? We fished around Merry Bay and caught 16 really nice fish but bites weren't real frequent.

Smile Still pretty slow for us

Fished Merry Bay and worked the shore line up into Indian creek this week. Long time in between bites. Ended up with 18 between 2 rods. Nothing as good as last June, when I knew even less than I do the summer.
    Anyone have better luckout there?

Fished Merry Bay and worked the shore line up into Indian creek this week. Long time in between bites. Ended up with 18 between 2 rods. Nothing as good as last June, when I knew even less than I do the summer.
    Haven't been fishing for 3 weeks, but it would probably be worth trying further up. What's to lose? How were others doing? Hoping to go next week.

We are still having good success in the Canyon Creek area. Downriggers at 25 feet, long lines with 1 oz at 70 to 100 feet.

Default Success

Thanks for the update. My boat is a little underpowered to be running up the lake. I can put in around Canyon and try that. Anybody used that road lately? I had heard it had some washouts.

Default YESTERDAY

Thanks for the update. My boat is a little underpowered to be running up the lake. I can put in around Canyon and try that. Anybody used that road lately? I had heard it had some washouts.
    Ran up there yesterday with my 19' I/O from Big Eddy. I would guess the road is ok as there were campers and boats tied to dock. I have a little 12' I like to take down that road. Several years ago I got hicentered on big boulder, but I hear they cleared that out. Good luck & tight lines!

I’ve fished from the dam to the elk river arm over the last few weeks and caught fish everywhere I’ve fished in good numbers. If your finding the fishing slow your probably fishing too deep. We’ve been catching all our fish 10-12’ down.

Default Too deep

Your right crazcougg. We've been probably close to 20' deep. I'll try 10' next time out, probably next week. Hopefully they will stay at that depth for a while. Thanks for the advice.

Your right crazcougg. We've been probably close to 20' deep. I'll try 10' next time out, probably next week. Hopefully they will stay at that depth for a while. Thanks for the advice.
    No problem, they’ve been so shallow I haven’t even been using the downriggers. Forgot to mention I’ve been marking fish from 10-15’ deep on the sonar too.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast