Thread: Dodgers

Hybrid View

Default Dodgers

Sorry, but its off season and I have Kokes on my brain.

So thinking about dodgers and what works best I've asked several seasoned Koke fisherman and almost all tell me a simple chrome dodger with crushed glass on 1 side. This got myself thinking why? And I agree the crushed glass has been a top performer!

If you look at the crushed glass it reflects a TON of light which I believe is the WHY and thinking about those who use a pop gear again that's why they work! So if light reflection is key to a great dodger then why in the $ell do companies splatter paint all over them which destroys any chance of light reflecting?? Correct me if I'm wrong but every year someone adds more splatter or a stripe or etc. Now all that being said I do agree GLOW helps but the splatter that looks like someone had a hard night and puked all over it I just don't think there effective.

Love to hear your thoughts!

Last year at the Gorge a white with pink splatter was my number 1 producer. To quote an old quote, "Never say never." Light reflection is only one of the things a dodger does for a Koke lure. Think action and vibration. If only one dodger was the secret, tackle companies would have gone out of business long time ago.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

SuperD

I agree a Dodger has 2 functions- 1( Create motion for lure 2( Act as a attractor

That being said I personally think "Motion or Action" is the most important function but I think light refraction is KEY! Think about it this way? If I park a car a mile away from you and the sun reflects off the windshield you will see it! Now if I paint that windshield and the sun reflects off your not going to see it. I think these splatter patterns are created for us humans! LOL Sell more Sell More Sell More......

Just my $.02 Cents

I believe lateral line vibration and lure action is more important than the light element. Late season at 80+ feet deep you won’t convince me there is a lot of light. Furthermore, I catch a lot of Kokes before the sun comes up.

I agree with you once you go super deep light refraction will be minimal but do you think the paint splatter helps at that depth? I think NOT.
    I think Glow comes into play when we go that deep. Not UV but GLOW!

Lures have a color and contrast for a reason. We can agree to disagree.

Default Wobblers,color selection

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Sorry, but its off season and I have Kokes on my brain.

So thinking about dodgers and what works best I've asked several seasoned Koke fisherman and almost all tell me a simple chrome dodger with crushed glass on 1 side. This got myself thinking why? And I agree the crushed glass has been a top performer!

If you look at the crushed glass it reflects a TON of light which I believe is the WHY and thinking about those who use a pop gear again that's why they work! So if light reflection is key to a great dodger then why in the $ell do companies splatter paint all over them which destroys any chance of light reflecting?? Correct me if I'm wrong but every year someone adds more splatter or a stripe or etc. Now all that being said I do agree GLOW helps but the splatter that looks like someone had a hard night and puked all over it I just don't think there effective.

Love to hear your thoughts!
    You need to learn color management you want silver has the best reflection way better than chrome,21 carats gold, and copper.Im a Paulson Cascade wobbled guy an killer cloudyother. Name there are called Arrow dodger. They have numerous assortments to choose from. That's my pick. Run 12# Flor leader 8/10 inches in length. I use Pline. Copper can be a killer on overcast/raining days.hope this helps.

Since I enjoy collecting as much as I do fishing with different gear I've been on a major collecting spree for dodgers. To fill in my collection as it's been a few years since I once owned every dodger in the larger sizes of every major mfg in every color. Actually 2 or more of each. My collection is now back to being a pride and joy thing. My next investment may have to be a fork lift to get the dodger bag in and out of the boat! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019.6.20 Dodger Bag.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	9676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019.6.20 B Dodger Bag.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	9677
    Each one of the Shimano Blue Binder Bags has 15 custom inserts that hold 8 to 12 dodgers per page. The fourth binder is for lake and gang trolls and such. Looking forward to taking some of the newer mfg's out for a swim. They are doing great with them in Idaho, Oregon and Washington!
    Last edited by MMDON; 06-21-2019 at 01:20 AM.
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

Start getting them wet Don. That new finder installed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Start getting them wet Don. That new finder installed yet?
    I couldn't get shop fabrication time until the 8th. Then they will mount the 2 new digitrols, the Lowrance HDS 12 Live and the Lowrance radio with NEMA link.
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet