Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming Flaming Gorge

Default Wyoming Flaming Gorge

From a source I know in Wyoming, the recipricol stamp is going up to $30.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Unverified source said that one can buy the 2019 stamp for $10 if purchased before Jan. 1, I’m about to test it.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Now verified, I just bought my stamp and my wife's stamp for 2019 for $10 and the 2019 AIS sticker for $30.

Got mine last night also

Just bought mine as well.

Got mine this morning , and the AIS Sticker.
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

Time for Strawberry to start improving their campgrounds.

That's to much like combat fishing!!!!! and it is just as far from up here.

Quote Originally Posted by oldguysrule View Post
    That's to much like combat fishing!!!!! and it is just as far from up here.
    I'm predicting a Gorge Kokanee crash in the not so distant future so hopefully some of the other new Kokanee lakes will be productive by then.

2019 Utah guidebook is out.

https://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks...19_fishing.pdf

Some summary highlights:

Kokanee limit state wide is 4/day except at the Gorge where it remains 3/day
    Strawberry and Flaming Gorge now allow 2 day possession limit
    Non Utah or Wyoming residents must now buy 2 fishing licenses as reciprocal stamp will not apply
    Last edited by SuperD; 12-14-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    I'm predicting a Gorge Kokanee crash in the not so distant future so hopefully some of the other new Kokanee lakes will be productive by then.
    Just curious Dave,as to why you think that the koke fishery will crash at the gorge?
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

My personal observation is that the Koke fishery has been on a slow decline for the last several years whether it be due to burbot or the over population of lakers. The latest rumor that I had heard was that Wyoming didn’t want to continue using the Kokes as bait so they were seriously cutting back on plants, which seems like the wrong direction to me. I hope it isn’t true.

Some summary highlights:

Non Utah or Wyoming residents must now buy 2 fishing licenses as reciprocal stamp will not apply
    Thanks for posting that, 850 miles is a long way to go to bring home a half dozen fish. We'll give it another shot this year, the New Moon in June at Boards Crossing
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Some summary highlights:

Exactly where is that stated? All I find in the Wyoming regs is three kokes per day, three in possession. I'd best contact Wyoming F&G. Copied and pasted.

Flaming Gorge Reservoir in Sweetwater County. (i) The creel limit on trout (excluding lake trout) shall be four (4) per day or in possession. (A) No more than three (3) shall be kokanee salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by sawhorseray View Post
    Exactly where is that stated? All I find in the Wyoming regs is three kokes per day, three in possession. I'd best contact Wyoming F&G. Copied and pasted.

Flaming Gorge Reservoir in Sweetwater County. (i) The creel limit on trout (excluding lake trout) shall be four (4) per day or in possession. (A) No more than three (3) shall be kokanee salmon.
    The question you have is posted with a link by SD to the Utah Fishing Guidebook.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

I see that now, my bad. Thank you Bduck. I got all excited the other day when I read the possession limit was doubled, made a resi at Buckboard for June. I believe I'll have to cancel that trip now, I don't want to be a violator and it's just not worth the time and effort. Thanks again for your input. RAY

Ray, why is it Buckboard or nothing? We camp on the Utah side and fish Wyoming everyday.
    Last edited by SuperD; 01-09-2019 at 09:36 AM.

I'm checking that out right now SD. We driven thru Lucerne a couple of times over the past few years when we were camped at Buckboard and it looks like a nice place to camp. We really like being on the Wyoming side as Green River is a 20 minute drive and has about everything we ever need, we're thinking of looking at homes there. I don't have any idea yet where the nearest town to Lucerne is, or where to camp. I'm going to have to do some research, thanks Super D. RAY

PS: Would there be a legal tangle with fishing Wyoming and camping in Utah, and being only licensed to fish in one state. So many questions.
    Last edited by sawhorseray; 01-09-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sawhorseray View Post
    I'm checking that out right now SD. We driven thru Lucerne a couple of times over the past few years when we were camped at Buckboard and it looks like a nice place to camp. We really like being on the Wyoming side as Green River is a 20 minute drive and has about everything we ever need, we're thinking of looking at homes there. I don't have any idea yet where the nearest town to Lucerne is, or where to camp. I'm going to have to do some research, thanks Super D. RAY

PS: Would there be a legal tangle with fishing Wyoming and camping in Utah, and being only licensed to fish in one state. So many questions.
    People camp at Lucerne (in Utah) and fish both Utah and Wyoming all the time, you simply buy the reciprocal stamp, that is why it exists.
    Last edited by gorgehunter; 01-09-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgehunter View Post
    People camp at Lucerne (in Utah) and fish both Utah and Wyoming all the time, you simply buy the reciprocal stamp, that is why it exists.
    He does not qualify for the reciprocal stamp. Out of staters will have to decide if the price of an extra license is worth the experience and the extra limit in possession.

By the time we get all the stamps and licenses it's about $250 for just Wyoming, I don't much want to do double that. I've been to FG the last three years and now am starting to think maybe someplace new this year. We'll fish kokes in April at Whiskytown in NorCal, and in May at O'Dell in Oregon, so there should be plenty of fodder for the canner. When I didn't know better I brought the gear and canned inside my camper, then found that was a no-no. Last year we were giving limits of kokes away to folks in tents, the Wyoming F&G boys were dying to give me a ticket for something, checked the inside of my camper out twice in five days. I guess there'd always be camping at Lucerne and fishing out of there, learn a new spot. Of course at Buckboard I know right where to go and what to use, limit out fairly fast just about every time. I hear there's some good koke fishing Idaho, tho there's no place equal to Flaming Gorge. Decisions decisions. RAY

The Gorge is definitely becoming more and more of a major commitment. Trying new spots can be rewarding. How about that lake in Oregon that has all the records for largest Kokes in the country?

That'd be Lake Wallala, 9lbs, 11oz. we fished it, got skunked! Guess that why it's called fishing, and not catching. RAY

I'm pretty sure I'm going to scrap Flaming Gorge for this year. Last year when we were there I took my ESS puppy over to where a bunch of folks were boondocking to learn how to swim. My little boy, Bob, had a great time and swam like a fish. When we got home Bob got a ear infection that my vet said most likely came from there. It was a "rods" infection, not yeast, and was very hard to get rid of, cost me a couple of grand in vet visits. Very dangerous infection, bugs that can eat clear thru to a dogs brain. Yep, FG's getting scrapped! RAY

Default No more out of state fishermen reciprocal stamps for WY or UT

This quote from Green River Newspaper:

"Anglers coming from outside of Utah or Wyoming may not purchase a reciprocal stamp, and therefore must purchase a license for the state(s) they are going to fish. Starting January 1, 2019 the Wyoming reciprocity stamp will cost $30 and the Utah reciprocity stamp will cost $10".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast