Thread: New to Kokanee Fishing...need gear advice!

Hybrid View

Default New to Kokanee Fishing...need gear advice!

Currently wintering over in Hermosa Beach California (near LA) and planning on returning to home in Central Idaho (Payette Lake Area) in April. Going to give Kokanee a try this year. Have the down riggers, thanks to Christmas and the wife). Now I need rods and reels. For rods am trying to decide on Lamaglas or Vance (sorry all the tacked shops in my area sell salt water gear...little stiff for Kokes). I am stuck with the internet and askingbthe experts on this forum. For reels, thinking line counter either Abu Garcia or Daiwa Lexa. But am really looking for advice!

Welcome aboard. I bought the Lexa linecounters and really love them. The 100’s are perfect on a 7.5’ or 7’ rod. I’m not a fan of the spiral rod but many are. I am currently using Velocity and Okuma Kokanee rods but felt a Tica in Sportsman’s the other day that made me want to take it home.

If you go with an 8’ rod, I’d suggest a little larger reel for balance like an Abu 5600.
    Last edited by SuperD; 12-03-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

My boat is a very used aluminum 16' boat, so not wanting to go with an 8ft, rod if possible, as it can be a pain trying to net the fish. Thanks for the advice on the Lexa, will go with that one. I did own a spiral rod once and it was good for downrigger work, but not sure I want to go that way again. Which Tica did you look at? I am a little Leary of Lamaglas as I have noticed a number of negative reviews and comments about their terrible customer service (don't know if it is true).

For price and performance, look at the Velocity rods or the Okuma SST in 7.5’. If you want a 7’ rod, I don’t think that you can beat a Shakespeare Agility. I use them for both trout and Kokanee.

Which is better in a smaller boat? 7.5 or 7 ft? It seems that the 7,5 gives a little more rod to bend at the downriggers but a little harder to get the fish to the net if you are fishing alone. Any particular velocity rod? Also how do you feel about Lamaglas?

I'm partial to Okuma's reels. I use the Convector CV15D on a pair of 7½' red kokanee signature rods and I'm using the Coldwater low profile 354 line counter I purchased early the year on a pair of Vance's 7' spiral wrap rods, like you I like the spiral wraps. I do have a pair of 7' Velocity rods as well which I'm working on marrying a couple more of the Coldwater reels to those.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

My Lamiglass rod is too expensive and fragile for me to comfortably use. I have my Lexa 100’s on the Shakespeare Agility 7’ rods, which are super cheap but a great rod. I don’t get puckered up if something happens to one and easy to replace for under $40. This is probably my least expensive setup but also one of my favorites.