Thread: Nantahala Kokes 2018

Default Nantahala Kokes 2018

Our kokanee population in Nantahala has crashed over the last two years. The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission is net sampling and watching the major spawning tributary to see if the kokes are still there. They are trying to evaluate what happened and what might be possible to bring them back. If any of y'all are in Western North Caorolina or are interested in this fishery let the NCWRC know. Please be positive in comments and suggestions. Our fisheries folks are doing a great job providing a variety of coldwater fishing opportunities in WNC.

Mark, have you, or anyone else, heard of any fish caught this year? Did you ever go?

Doc I went one time this summer with Greg ,TrollingNC . We got a couple of hits and caught a ten" inch rainbow. I think Ron said he heard of one or two being caught.

Quote Originally Posted by trollmonkey View Post
    Doc I went one time this summer with Greg ,TrollingNC . We got a couple of hits and caught a ten" inch rainbow. I think Ron said he heard of one or two being caught.
    That’s interesting I did not know that any where caught this year. Neither did the state of NC.

Default Wrong year

You're right Scott .It was 2017 Ron heard of 3 being caught . My Senility is kicking in or maybe it is just wishful thinking........

3 being caught this year? That can only mean they are still there.....

Unfortunately it was last year. I hope if they do go the stocking route , it would be awesome to see kokes in Bear or Wolf. Probably ain't going to happen other than in Nantahala........