Thread: Burbot after the Kokes

Default Burbot after the Kokes

Thought I would post this here since I don't know where else to do it. I may be wrong in many ways as I am new to the kokanee game so feel free to correct me but last I heard Flaming Gorge had no limit on Burbot due to the damage they were doing to the trout/salmon fishery there. I have a reservoir near me that have Burbot and Kokanee in it and my question is do any of you attempt or have any luck targeting the ling in the shallows where the salmon spawn? I know more about Ling fishing than Salmon fishing and experience tells me that shallow water is not where you find them but can't help but think they might take advantage of a soft slow moving salmonoid given the opportunity. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks fellas. Good luck out there.

So at the Gorge there are strains of Kokanee that spawn in the reservoir in about 60 feet of water. I have caught several Burbot using a glow jighead with a worm threaded on it. I drop it to the bottom and use the electric motor to drag it around the spawning beds, this also works good on the lake trout beds. Every Burbot I have got off the spawning beds are chuck full of eggs so this leads me to believe they are down there eating them up.💡

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like the spawning situation is quite different there than what I am seeing at this reservoir. We pick up the burbot in that 60 ft range as well but that is not where the kokanee are spawning. They come in quite shallow. I'll certainly give your method a try and see if it produces any results shallow. Thanks again.

Default Killing Ling!!

Headed up the 6th and 7th. Bonzer always said mid-November is the best time to catch them on the spawning beds around Firehole. Gotta kill them Ling.

I will let you all know how I do.

Fresh