Thread: August 9-17 Report

Default August 9-17 Report

We set up camp a little north of Anvil Draw as in years past. I have always fished probably 3-4 miles south of Brinigars ranch and found lots of fish but not this year. We found lots of fish south of the pipeline on both sides of the lake between 35 and 60 feet. The deeper fish were more active however. What worked for us was the RMT dodgers and mostly color pink squid. What was really good was what RMT calls the pink plankton. That was best trolled at around 1.4 MPH.

As has been mentioned before these southern fish are much smaller than the Buckboard fish this year. We did catch several very nice fish but lots more were smaller.

Regards

Default Anvil area

Nice to finally see a post here. It's really been dead this season.

good friend fishes the Gorge every week Tuesday thru Thursday. For the last 6 to 8 weeks he's been launching out of Anvil and going straight out and/or north with excellent results on both kokanee and pup lakers. Believe it or not, blue has been the hot color the past 3 to 4 weeks for both. Deadly Venom dodgers seem to produce better than the RMT. Simon dodgers have been producing good results as well. Finding several hook jawed males and just a touch of color as of late.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Default Going

Thanks for posting Bob. Im going up Sunday for a week. I haven't been able to go all summer due to health reasons.
    Did you fish Lowe canyon area? or Ranch house area? by the way nice new garage you have there.

Bob,
    What surprised me this year was the fish location. As I stated above in years past you could find lots of fish south of the ranch house. And I mean large bunches of fish. For several years I have fished around that area and found basically the same situation. Every day the fish would move a little further south to that spawning area across from Anvil. This year for some reason conditions have changed or maybe it's just me.

As everyone knows the Buckboard fish are larger than the southern fish and I have always wondered why. A Game and Fish guy told me that the reason was the Buckboard fish get more plankton from the in-coming water from the river.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by dubob View Post
    Nice to finally see a post here. It's really been dead this season.

good friend fishes the Gorge every week Tuesday thru Thursday. For the last 6 to 8 weeks he's been launching out of Anvil and going straight out and/or north with excellent results on both kokanee and pup lakers. Believe it or not, blue has been the hot color the past 3 to 4 weeks for both. Deadly Venom dodgers seem to produce better than the RMT. Simon dodgers have been producing good results as well. Finding several hook jawed males and just a touch of color as of late.
    I have only been to FG one time this year Strawberry has been way to good
    Deadly Venom two years ago he was going to send me some free stuff to try at FG to see if it would work and get a picture of a big kokanee he got my address but I never got the lures
    I like his Kokanee Fishing Tips
    blue on dodgers earlier was working for me at Strawberry and FG but now green is working better

Quote Originally Posted by Island20 View Post
    Thanks for posting Bob. Im going up Sunday for a week. I haven't been able to go all summer due to health reasons.
    Did you fish Lowe canyon area? or Ranch house area? by the way nice new garage you have there.
    We fished from just below Anvil to just above Middle Marsh. Haven't heard of Lowe Canyon and we were south of The Ranch.

I'm loving the new pole barn! It's 36 X 72 and the overhead doors are both 12 X 14. All my toys will live indoors now when not in use.
    Last edited by dubob; 08-18-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.