Thread: Brads Cut Plugs

Default Brads Cut Plugs

I am having no luck with the Brads Cut Plugs, in 8 trips out i have caught my limit of Kok's, but not a single fish with a cut plug. I have tried all sorts of combinations, flashers and leader lengths, and scents, but still nothing. As soon as i change to a hoochie or wedding ring, it seems i am in the fish, Do these plugs actually work for you guys, any tips would be helpful?
    Cheers
    Twanger

Tried them on two trips last season with no hits. I also would like to hear something positive about them.

I had one day last year where they just got smashed. I’ve maybe caught 2 fish on them since. In full disclosure, I don’t keep them in the water very long now. If they don’t get bit soon they come off.
    Last edited by SuperD; 07-12-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I to have a couple in my tackle box and have yet to catch a fish on one. But I haven't given them there fair share of time in the water either. 20 min of no bites and I'm switching to something else.

I wondered about those things when they went on the market as a kokanee lure...

i've fished them a few times and never got a hit off them i don't know whats up ,but i don't have much faith in them right now

They have come out with a ton new colors this year. This year, I'm going to try them more when the erratic stuff is working like bill faced squids.

This seems strange to me. I caught many kokanee on mine last year at Anderson Ranch. Only have the Orange/Pink one. It seems to do as well as anything when that color combo is working.
    Old ('79) Chrysler tri-hull with Minn Kota bow mount and Penn manual downriggers.

I’ve tried a lot of lures that other guys swear by and they didn’t catch fish for me. These are likely no different. Everyone has their favorites.

Guess i might have to leave them in the water a little longer..

Quote Originally Posted by Twanger View Post
    I am having no luck with the Brads Cut Plugs, in 8 trips out i have caught my limit of Kok's, but not a single fish with a cut plug. I have tried all sorts of combinations, flashers and leader lengths, and scents, but still nothing. As soon as i change to a hoochie or wedding ring, it seems i am in the fish, Do these plugs actually work for you guys, any tips would be helpful?
    Cheers
    Twanger
    They work. I just fished Bullard's Bar Lake near Oroville CA, and we landed 30 Koks in about 4 1/2 hours fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by trlittle View Post
    They work. I just fished Bullard's Bar Lake near Oroville CA, and we landed 30 Koks in about 4 1/2 hours fishing.
    this flawed logic, it's possible another lure combo would have landed even more fish. i've ram cut plugs next to squids and not got a single bit on the plug but many fish on the squid . just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by mtncat1 View Post
    this flawed logic, it's possible another lure combo would have landed even more fish. i've ram cut plugs next to squids and not got a single bit on the plug but many fish on the squid . just sayin
    Not flawed logic at all. The question of the thread was whether or not anyone had any luck with them. 30 fish would qualify wouldn't you think? The debate whether there could have been a better lure on any successful day will always exist and never be able to be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Not flawed logic at all. The question of the thread was whether or not anyone had any luck with them. 30 fish would qualify wouldn't you think? The debate whether there could have been a better lure on any successful day will always exist and never be able to be answered.
    I agree...

I will say that it seems like the West Coast guys report a lot better luck with them. It makes me curious what the difference might be.

I will say that it seems like the West Coast guys report a lot better luck with them. It makes me curious what the difference might be.
    what i'm getting at is that it seems some of these north west lakes have a very high concentration of smaller kokes that will hammer anything put in front of them ,where lakes out west wift smaller populations but larger fish are a more finicky .

Default Cut plug

Personnel I think they were designed to catch fisherman/ let's see you place some scent inside a chamber close it up, it spins like a injured herring. DA. Folks use them alot for Salmon that can't or don't want to buybait.(herring) the one I've seen are pretty big for kokanee,but just my personnel thought. I wouldn't spend a nickel on one.

mrmike, the Brads Kokkanee cut plugs I am using are no bigger then an 1.5" Apex.

Default Beads

I haven't seen them 1.5 of an inch. If there working for you good luck. I'll stick with my own stuff I make myself, tube flys. I salmon fsh alot, I'm a original bait guy, If there alot of fish about Brads will work for Salmon. The last few years I've gone small for kokanee and seem to put more fish in the box. How do you like the brads do they work for you. I personnel don't even know anyone of my fshing buddies that use them.

I used them a half dozen times last year. Caught several fish on one color only and that worked one day only. Give them a honest try again this season.

The Kokanee cut plug in 50/50 pink & orange is bringing some fish to the boat this summer.

Thanks Dave, now I need to dig them out and try them again...
    How's the fishing been in your area this year?
    Twanger..

Quote Originally Posted by Twanger View Post
    Thanks Dave, now I need to dig them out and try them again...
    How's the fishing been in your area this year?
    Twanger..
    It has been a grind from what I'm used to but then again, I'm spoiled with Flaming Gorge being my "home" lake for the summer.

Default West Coast Brads

QWellmaybe, when you have a lure you like, you fish it harder and longer. Plus I think they are working with some specific guides, and these guys are influencing other anglers

Default Brad's cut plugs

I live on Coeur d'Alene Lake and fish at least 4 days a week for Kokanee (us old timers call them Bluebacks) anyway I've fished with everything from leaded line, ford fenders, wedding rings, etc. etc. I now fish with downriggers, a dodger, and Brad's cut plugs, Apex, and hand tied hoochies. My go to lure is a Brad's cut plug in a hot pink. It should be noted that I buy the plug without the any hooks or leader and tie my own double snelled hooks and add my own beads. When fished side by side against a hoochie or an Apex the Brads out fishes both of them. For the last two years we have been catching large bluebacks (15" to 17") fish. So thick it takes forever to smoke them, so I fillet them now. The fishing has been a little slow, went out for a couple of hours yesterday and only caught two but they were nice fish, 16". P.S. I use Pro Cure on my corn and then lace it with my special scent...I do not use maggots anymore.