Thread: What happened?

Default What happened?

What happened to this year’s class of fish, they seem nonexistent? Every time I check a rod I’m dragging around a juvenile. I have yet to catch a fish this year that would have made the keeper list last year.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Not sure, Dave. We could not get away from the yearlings from pipeline to marsh, went deep trying to get below them made no difference. Also had a couple barely on other years 'keeper list', but on cleaning had developing eggs suggesting they were going to spawn this year.

I've made 2 trips to the Gorge thus far this year - May & June. On both trips, most fish we boated were in the 2.5 pound and bigger. A friend fishes it every week, Tue - Thu. He has been finding the bigger fish each trip - mostly up around Buckboard. My biggest this year was a 4.25 pounder out of Buckboard. Maybe you're using the wrong tackle? We've had success with Deadly Venom dodgers and different color squid with bills. Orange or white have been killers this year. Apex kokanee lures have been working well also.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Dave we found the same thing. All the usual spots were the same. Deeper did not make much of a difference. Going north they seemed to be more active but the size didn't change much. found a few more fish at the pipeline but not many takers. The billed squids seemed to work the best for us also. It was nice to meet Bob and smokepole also.hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    What happened to this year’s class of fish, they seem nonexistent? Every time I check a rod I’m dragging around a juvenile. I have yet to catch a fish this year that would have made the keeper list last year.
    I was there last week and noticed the same thing. I never made it north of brinegars but fished a lot between Anvil and Marsh. One day we managed a few around 3 pounds. All the othe days we seemed to be getting juveniles. East side of Anvil had huge schools but we never caught 1 decent sized fish there. Kind of sad really. The past 5 years it hasn’t been hard to catch 4 lb class fish. This year was very unproductive for us

We will be going back next week maybe something will change. We are going to try north of buckboard has anyone been up there lately?

Old Guy,

Nice to visit with you at Lucerne campground.

We went south on Friday and found some at Hideout before the wind blew us off. At least we had kept one for dinner ;-).

We went back to Hideout Sat AM and had a quite good bite until boats showed up at 8. Took us another hour to finish out or limit and left according to plan for heading back Sat by noon. They were not the biggest for sure, around the 2 - 2.5 mark. Still, beautiful fish that we were pleased to have the honor of catching.

Not sure what it did on the Gorge, but it blew 40+ all the way back into Utah.

Tight lines,
    Smokepoles

i fished hide out friday afternoon ,size was so so but wow what a bite . it doesn't take long to limit out when your are hooking up 4 at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by dubob View Post
    I've made 2 trips to the Gorge thus far this year - May & June. On both trips, most fish we boated were in the 2.5 pound and bigger. A friend fishes it every week, Tue - Thu. He has been finding the bigger fish each trip - mostly up around Buckboard. My biggest this year was a 4.25 pounder out of Buckboard. Maybe you're using the wrong tackle? We've had success with Deadly Venom dodgers and different color squid with bills. Orange or white have been killers this year. Apex kokanee lures have been working well also.
    Which Deadly Venom Dodgers were you using, Strike Zone, Sidewinders, Arrow Flash or Black Widow? I've got everything else you mentioned, but only a limited DV dodgers.

Black Widow; all with moon jelly and 3 different snake colors (Flame, Chartreuse, & Ghost).

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Thanks Bob, I'll be staying at Buckboard Crossing campground all next week.