Thread: Night Fishing Loon Lake

Default Night Fishing Loon Lake

Things have picked up at Loon Lake. I was able to get 10 kokanee two nights in a row. I moved into a bit shallower water about 28 feet. Used red glow hooks shoepeg corn and a maggot. Bait was 1.5 turns off the bottom. Bite was from 9:30pm til 10:30pm.

Besides the glow hook and bait, what else is the setup like? What sort of weight is used and is it set up like a dropshot rig? I'm hoping to get my kayak out there soon and catch my first vertically jigged kokanee! I think that I may just use my ice rods.

-Brian

I haven't tried a drop shot rig but it might work. What I do is use a 1/4 or 3/8 oz sinker just above the swivel. Then 12" leader to a #6 or #8 glow hook cerise or white. Some use small red Ratfinkee Jig. Put lead on the bottom in 30' of water. Then come up 1 and 1/2 turns. Use maggot and shoe peg corn. Bite is very very light. Set hook fast and hard at any detectable action. You need a bright floating light to shine down into the water. That's it.

Dave

I should mention if your in a kayak at night, if you dont have an anchor light of some kind someone in a motor boat could not see you and run over you. So be aware. Sometimes I'm out till midnight waiting for a bite. It's really hard to see while going home. Also I use a 5' ultra light pole and wear a headlamp so I can watch the poles tip, sometime you cant feel the bite you see it.
    Last edited by Dave Michaels; 06-27-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Cool, thanks for the tips! I was trying to plan how to light myself up for safety. There are many different light sticks that I can put on my kayak, and then carry a couple bigger brighter lights to shine at anyone headed in my direction. Also thinking about some reflective tape! Whats the floating light, shining down into the water for? Is that to attract fish to gear or just so you can see? Thanks!

Brian

People use different types of lights to attract fish. They sell what looks like an old fashion auto headlamp in a styrofoam ring. Thats the cheapest. Some build there own lights using high intensity LED light bars. Im not sure if the light attracts the fish directly or if the light attracts the plankton which in turn attracts the kokanee that feed on plankton. This means you need a 12 volt car battery to power the light. Might be pretty heavy in a kayak, but I did see a guy anchor next to me fishing from a kayak last year.