Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Lucerne 6/20-23

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cache Valley, Utah
    Posts
    333

    Default Lucerne 6/20-23

    It sure has been quiet on the Gorge discussion. I hope that means the fishing is so off the chart that no one will say

    We'll be camping and fishing out of Lucerne 6/20-23. Glad to meet up with any forum members and share tales and(or) recon while we're there

    Tight lines to all.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,483

    Default

    What loop and site this year?
    2003 Jetcraft SK2125, Yamaha 150, Yamaha T8, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually

  3. #3

    Default

    We were there the fist of the week. The fishing was good water temp about 61 to 65. Fish were in the 35' range. we caught most of the good fish in anvil draw. the weather was great. Caught most fish on RMT dodger and pink squids and mai ti spoons. we will be back up there on the 18th to the 20th Loop b021. come see us.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cache Valley, Utah
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldguysrule View Post
    We were there the fist of the week. The fishing was good water temp about 61 to 65. Fish were in the 35' range. we caught most of the good fish in anvil draw. the weather was great. Caught most fish on RMT dodger and pink squids and mai ti spoons. we will be back up there on the 18th to the 20th Loop b021. come see us.

    We will not be get there until late afternoon on the 20th, maybe time for a shakedown run, and expect you likely gone by then?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hooper, UT
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Just got back yesterday. Was there from June 3 until June 9. Caught fish out of Buckboard and Lucerne every day. Fished behind Kingfisher Island on Friday with good success. Fish are larger the further north you go. Each fisherman we talked to was using different tackle than we did and everybody was catching fish. We found a killer lure for Macs and they would not leave it alone.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VH_SEA_SERPENT_large.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	340.8 KB 
ID:	9453
    "VENOMOUS HOOCHIE - UV SEA SERPENT W/NICKLE FLAME"
    We caught at least 5 macs a day on this lure alone with the best day catch of over a dozen. Trolled behind a Deadly Venom dodger - of course.

    Bob Hicks, from Utah - I知 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cache Valley, Utah
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Thanks, Bob, for the intel. I expect that we'll hit most of those over the 2.5 days fishing. We like to get downstream from Lucerne for at least one go as it is so different down there, and always get to see wildlife going through the cut. Last couple times downstream were marginal at best, but three years ago it was off the hook for us, and some darn nice ones if you had enough gumption to leave smaller fish. Don't have any of the venom stuff, but will look into them as already got more stuff tahn will ever use so whats a bit more?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubob View Post
    Just got back yesterday. Was there from June 3 until June 9. Caught fish out of Buckboard and Lucerne every day. Fished behind Kingfisher Island on Friday with good success. Fish are larger the further north you go. Each fisherman we talked to was using different tackle than we did and everybody was catching fish. We found a killer lure for Macs and they would not leave it alone.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VH_SEA_SERPENT_large.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	340.8 KB 
ID:	9453
    "VENOMOUS HOOCHIE - UV SEA SERPENT W/NICKLE FLAME"
    We caught at least 5 macs a day on this lure alone with the best day catch of over a dozen. Trolled behind a Deadly Venom dodger - of course.
    Where do they sell them? And at what depth were you on the macs?
    Last edited by gorgehunter; 06-11-2018 at 11:47 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    It sure has been quiet on the Gorge discussion. I hope that means the fishing is so off the chart that no one will say

    We'll be camping and fishing out of Lucerne 6/20-23. Glad to meet up with any forum members and share tales and(or) recon while we're there

    Tight lines to all.
    We will be there the 21st-26th, my brother and his kids are coming down from ND to meet us there. From what I hear the pups are slowly making it south, with the bigger kokes being found up north. We did catch our share around the 3 pound mark 2 weeks ago in red cliff canyon, but not nearly as consistent as Anvil to Buckboard.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hooper, UT
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gorgehunter View Post
    Where do they sell them? And at what depth were you on the macs?
    I get all my Deadly Venom tackle directly from Deadly Venom via the Internet. I don't know of any stores that sell them in Utah. The macs were coming at the same depth we were fishing for kokanee - which was at the 52 degree temperature depth that was anywhere from 40 to 55 feet depending on which section of the Gorge we were at and which day. It got a little deeper each day and varied between areas by as much as 5 feet. I always run my Fish Hawk down for temp layers before dropping any lines down.

    Bob Hicks, from Utah - I知 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    West Jordan, Utah
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gorgehunter View Post
    Where do they sell them? And at what depth were you on the macs?
    I saw some yesterday at Sportsmans on 7200 South. They have a limited supply...:)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hooper, UT
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gulfstream View Post
    I saw some yesterday at Sportsmans on 7200 South. They have a limited supply...:)
    That's very odd/strange; there are no Deadly Venom products listed on their website. I wonder if that stock in SLC is a test case and they might stock them later if they go fast. Perhaps somebody could ask if they stop by that store and buy some.

    Bob Hicks, from Utah - I知 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    West Jordan, Utah
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubob View Post
    That's very odd/strange; there are no Deadly Venom products listed on their website. I wonder if that stock in SLC is a test case and they might stock them later if they go fast. Perhaps somebody could ask if they stop by that store and buy some.
    Sorry I miss lead you...it wasn't sportsmans... I was just there, I just need to remember where I was...:)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hooper, UT
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gulfstream View Post
    I just need to remember where I was...:)
    Yea; I have a bad case of CRS myself!

    Bob Hicks, from Utah - I知 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    so jordan ut.
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gulfstream View Post
    Sorry I miss lead you...it wasn't sportsmans... I was just there, I just need to remember where I was...:)
    maybe you could find them at fishtech

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cache Valley, Utah
    Posts
    333

    Default

    It's come to my attention that we will overlap a bit with the DU Derby. We will be leaving mid-day Sat. so perhaps the most impact will be Friday if entrants come to 'pre-fish'. Still, might head north on Thursday and downstream on Friday.

    On a separate note, what all is your take on derbys for a fish like kokes where there is general debate, and little scientific knowledge, of the impact of catch-n-release, a concept that such a derby promotes and expounds in its rules?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hooper, UT
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    On a separate note, what all is your take on derbys for a fish like kokes where there is general debate, and little scientific knowledge, of the impact of catch-n-release, a concept that such a derby promotes and expounds in its rules?
    Au contrair, mon ami; there is an over abundance of scientific knowledge expounding on the very high mortality of C&R of kokanee salmon. Most sources quote the mortality rate at 30% or higher which in practical terms means that 1 in 3 fish are not going to survive the C&R. Water temp, depth at which caught, and length of time from being hooked and released are major factors. So in answer to your lead in, my 'take' on this is this: any organization that promotes the C&R of kokanee salmon is promoting the wholesale slaughter of kokanee slaughter. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

    Bob Hicks, from Utah - I知 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cache Valley, Utah
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Bob,

    I admit I did not do a significant search of the scientific literature regarding C&R mortality on kokes. Please send me a pm with link to those references on koke C&R mortality if you have them handy, or post them here if you wish.
    Thanks for your efforts to keep us informed.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hooper, UT
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    Bob,

    I admit I did not do a significant search of the scientific literature regarding C&R mortality on kokes. Please send me a pm with link to those references on koke C&R mortality if you have them handy, or post them here if you wish.
    Thanks for your efforts to keep us informed.
    I didn't keep any of the link data and it has been a couple years since I took the time to research the subject. I do remember finding over a dozen different sources from links and links within links. All said essentially the same thing; kokanee are near the top of the list for having very poor survivability during C&R. Sorry, I just don't have the time right now to re-do the research. Maybe others can help in this regard.

    Bob Hicks, from Utah - I知 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    Bob,

    I admit I did not do a significant search of the scientific literature regarding C&R mortality on kokes. Please send me a pm with link to those references on koke C&R mortality if you have them handy, or post them here if you wish.
    Thanks for your efforts to keep us informed.
    It is pretty well established that Kokes are poor candidates for C&R, especially when the surface temperatures are warm. Add in handling the fish to measure for a tournament/derby, sounds like a bad idea.

    Here's an old link from the G&F: https://www.facebook.com/WyoGFD/posts/622146277809284

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,483

    Default

    Koke tournament folks and C&R for Kokes tends to lean on, "they are going to die anyway" as reasoning for such events and actions.
    2003 Jetcraft SK2125, Yamaha 150, Yamaha T8, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cache Valley, Utah
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubob View Post
    Au contrair, mon ami; there is an over abundance of scientific knowledge expounding on the very high mortality of C&R of kokanee salmon. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    I understand that there is a mortality associated with C&R greater than found with other fish. My question was impact on the overall fishery. For example, why have such a small creel limit that tends to encourage C&R rather than a mandatory keep with a greater limit that might discourage releasing small ones and encourage simply quitting for the day once limit is reached?

    I'll be honest here. I take a couple days off of work, travel 6 hrs to the Gorge, and let a few small ones go so to have three nice ones to take home. I try to balance the mortality thing using single hooks, wise netting and releases, keep any small hurt ones for dinners at camp, etc.

    On the other hand, there are the derby's and a prior forum where there was a good deal of bragging about 60 fish days over the course of the week. Not for me.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hooper, UT
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Koke tournament folks and C&R for Kokes tends to lean on, "they are going to die anyway" as reasoning for such events and actions.
    I have no tolerance for that faulty logic. Every living thing dies 'anyway.' That is not a valid argument for wasting a resource IMHO.

    Bob Hicks, from Utah - I知 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hooper, UT
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    I'll be honest here. I take a couple days off of work, travel 6 hrs to the Gorge, and let a few small ones go so to have three nice ones to take home. I try to balance the mortality thing using single hooks, wise netting and releases, keep any small hurt ones for dinners at camp, etc.

    On the other hand, there are the derby's and a prior forum where there was a good deal of bragging about 60 fish days over the course of the week. Not for me.
    I have no problem at all with your process (letting a few small ones go). I do have to disagree with those that consistently strive for large catch numbers each and every day they fish. A couple years ago I met an angler that bragged about the 60 fish days he and his child were having at Strawberry. They never kept over their limit while there. They were completely legal in what they did. I bit my tongue and said nothing so as not to embarrass him in front of his child. But I certainly didn't (and don't) condone that mind set.

    And I strongly feel the tournaments you speak of are doing us all a disservice. That's my two cents worth of opinion.

    Bob Hicks, from Utah - I知 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    so jordan ut.
    Posts
    314

    Default

    i've fished the du derby since it's inception ,it's limited to 200 teams , and never has sold out . they don't don't promote c&r on kokes . they have a large fish prize for all species in the lake except lake trout .they only count the largest laker up to 28 inches (usually a 10 lbs fish wins )so no more impact than other day on the lake .

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cache Valley, Utah
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Then again, relevant to this discscussion on kokanee, rules state:
    2. Length Qualification: All Trout or Kokanee Salmon must be 18 (inches) or longer. Guess competitors will be keeping those under 18", right?


    And per the May derby:
    Trophy Lake Trout: Fish must be freshly caught, be a minimum length of 36 (inches) for entry eligibility.

    Anyway, I am sure there are good intentions withe the DU derby. I'd probably do it it for fun and a good cause, but not not for competition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •