Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lucerne 6/20-23

Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    Then again, relevant to this discscussion on kokanee, rules state:
    2. Length Qualification: All Trout or Kokanee Salmon must be 18” (inches) or longer. Guess competitors will be keeping those under 18", right?

And per the May derby:
    Trophy Lake Trout: Fish must be freshly caught, be a minimum length of 36” (inches) for entry eligibility.

Anyway, I am sure there are good intentions withe the DU derby. I'd probably do it it for fun and a good cause, but not not for competition.
    it looks like you are talking about the may derby ,that is not the june 20th ducks unlimited derby
    where did you get this from? i have never heard of these rules lake trout size is for sure locked in at 28 inches max fish over that size are not accepted for entry . kokanee bass rainbow and i think brown are accepted. i have never heard of the 18'" minimum size clause . i will be there this weekend and check . if they changed the regs this year but i doubt it .
    Last edited by mtncat1; 06-20-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Default 2018 DU Derby Rules

I copied this from the DU website to show the rules with regard to fish species and size requirements for this years DU Derby.
    Lake Trout, Kokanee Salmon, Trout*, and Carp
    *Trout includes Browns, Rainbows, and Cutthroat. There will be one prize, and all 3 types of fish can be entered into the category.

First Place Cash Prize per fish species $1000
    Second Place Cash Prize per fish species $500
    Third Place Cash Prize per fish species $250

Prize Qualification Based on the Following:
    1. Lake Trout: Fish must be freshly caught, a maximum length of 28” (inches) for entry eligibility.
    Only one (1) Lake Trout may be in possession through the tournament.
    2. Length Qualification: All Trout or Kokanee Salmon must be 18” (inches) or longer.
    3. Carp has no limit.
    There is no definition of freshly caught, but one might assume that means caught that day. The full set of this years rules can be seen at this link: DU Derby Rules.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Koke tournament folks and C&R for Kokes tends to lean on, "they are going to die anyway" as reasoning for such events and actions.
    And such an asinine mindset that would be, as it is the younger kokes that are being released and dying, not the larger mature kokes of spawning age that are going to "die anyway". Last year we were there the weekend of the DU derby and literally netted several 2+ pound kokes from the water that were still kicking on the surface and put them in the cooler. The derby's are inadvertently encouraging the killing of kokes that could have gone to feed people, but instead are going to the gulls and the crayfish. And had we entered we would have taken first place on Saturday and second place overall for the biggest single koke, without releasing any to die, see picture below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170624_204755_HDR_resized.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	9464  

On a more positive note we are looking forward to great weather and seeing how my new prop performs.

i am very surprised by what you found because the really don't have many boats in that derby,( 80 teams this year) .on a lake that size you would be hard pressed to find someone from the derby out on the water . they strongly discourage release of kokanee also .

Quote Originally Posted by dubob View Post
    I have no tolerance for that faulty logic. Every living thing dies 'anyway.' That is not a valid argument for wasting a resource IMHO.
    I also agree bob there is no reason for that. That is a very poor argument for C&R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12