Thread: Wickiup Reservoir

Default Wickiup Reservoir

Wickiup Reservoir • Open Apr 22 - Oct 31. • 5 kokanee per day in addition to daily trout limit. No size limits. REDUCED TO 5 KOKES PER DAY????? WHAT HAPPENED??

The lake is biologically dying. Millions of bullhead catfish, or mud cats are eating any baby fish that is hatched. Any baby fish. Kokanee or trout.

Default Still a few around

This board is really dead for Oregon reports hoping to spark it a bit. Two hour fish this morning. No monsters but a really nice grade of fish. Orange PPT hootchies and orange/gold teardrops were hot. Lake is dropping fast and fish are being forced from the shallows back into the channels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	9469  

What an impressive load of fish! I am really curious as to how you find the eating quality of those fish. In the past due to the higher water temps and the shallow nature of the lake ( I think ), the fish have had a very unpleasant " muddy" taste after the fist 4-6 weeks of the season. Have you ever experienced that? If you have, is there any thing you do to remedy it ( like soak in milk etc. )? You are certainly the pro on that lake. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLA View Post
    What an impressive load of fish! I am really curious as to how you find the eating quality of those fish. In the past due to the higher water temps and the shallow nature of the lake ( I think ), the fish have had a very unpleasant " muddy" taste after the fist 4-6 weeks of the season. Have you ever experienced that? If you have, is there any thing you do to remedy it ( like soak in milk etc. )? You are certainly the pro on that lake. Congrats.

Fish taste terrible, I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to catch these fish this time of year. You need to bleed them and then right into an ice bath/salt slurry, inside a plastic bag so they are not actually in the water. This basically starts to freeze the fish. I have eaten them off the BBQ well into Aug using this method. 98% of the fish we catch are headed to the smoker. I know some folks have a more delicate palette than I do.