Thread: Looking for downrigging rod and reel suggestions.

Default Looking for downrigging rod and reel suggestions.

Hello, My name is Robert and I am just getting back into Kokanee fishing after about 20 years. Wow, a lot has changed in 20 years! I just finished restoring a small aluminum boat and fitted it with Scotty 1050's and a Hummingbird Helix 5 G2 chirp. I tried to design the boat to be optimized for trolling. The restore project is almost finished and it is time for some new trolling rods and reels. The amount of choices out there is huge and the technology has come a long way in the last 20 or so years. I am not in the market for a Cadillac (G-Loomis) but more middle of the road gear. E-bay is selling a pair of Okuma combos for under $150.00. Is this deal too good to be true? Any suggestions will be very much appreciated! Here are a couple pics of my 1981 Mirrocraft build.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a-1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	9340Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1825.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	9341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2509.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	9342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2554.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	9343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z-1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	9344

Welcome Robert. Where are you located?

Velocity rods are a great rod at a very reasonable price, under $100. Next week there is a sport show in our area, Salt Lake, and the show pricing is closer to $60. As for reels, I'm really liking the size of these Daiwa Lexa 100 line counters.

https://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/...-counter-reels
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I really like the 7', 2-10 lb test Vance's spiral wrapped rods. They run about $80 and are plenty sporty for kokes while having enough backbone for trout, walleye, wipers, etc.. I have a ambassadeur 5500 line counter on mine. You don't really need a line counter for the downrigger, but it does help for other trolling applications like long lining, crank baits, etc.