Thread: Just getting back into Kokanee fishing after many years.

Default Just getting back into Kokanee fishing after many years.

Hello, My name is Robert and I am just getting back into Kokanee fishing after about 20 years. Wow, a lot has changed in 20 years! I just finished restoring a small aluminum boat and fitted it with Scotty 1050's and a Hummingbird Helix 5 G2 chirp. I tried to design the boat to be optimized for trolling. The restore project is almost finished and it is time for some new trolling rods and reels. The amount of choices out there is huge and the technology has come a long way in the last 20 or so years. I am not in the market for a Cadillac (G-Loomis) but more middle of the road gear. E-bay is selling a pair of Okuma combos for under $150.00. Is this deal too good to be true? Any suggestions will be very much appreciated! Here are a couple pics of my 1981 Mirrocraft build.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a-1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	9331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1825.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	9332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2554.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	9333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z-1.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	9334

Default Robert48

Welcome aboard,see all you need is money! We're will you be fishing what waters,there is a lot of quality fishing products on the market that won't break the bank. I would study some videos and watch what there doing. Don't worry what ever you have in the tackle box they won't want that day. Every lake fishes different, what works in one may not work in another. Guys on the forum will get you in the right direction. Pick up some books I highly recommend Phil Robpertons book WHY COLOR MATTERS, AMOTO BOOKS CARRY IT around 15.00 good luck

Thank you Mike.
    I have been going to Kokanee school online for a while. There is a ton of information out there and I have been trying to educate myself on as many of the current techniques as possible. The internet is also such an awesome source for Kokanee biology and behavior. I am truly looking forward to applying all this new info on the water this year! I fish almost exclusively at Bullards Bar reservoir in northern California. This is because I have a houseboat on the lake and it is very hard to convince myself to go anywhere else. Bullards recently produced the new world record spotted bass. Bullards used to be known as a very good Kokanee lake but the fish started to get smaller as the bass got bigger. Hence my absence from Kokanee fishing for a while. The word is the Kokanee fishing in the lake is starting to get much better so I built a boat to go after um. I have been told if I use my spinning reels I will regret it because of line twist even with downriggers. Still not sure about that. Opinions welcome! I have also become a big fan of braided line for bass fishing but have read a lot of mixed opinions about using it for trolling, especially for Kokanee. Once again, all opinions very welcome! I know I want to use the lightest gear possible because that is how I have always fished. I already have several rods I think will work just fine I am more interested in a reel assuming I should not use a spinning reel. I have never been a baitcaster guy, I bought one once and still bare some of the emotional scars from the endeavor!
    Another question is how useful is a line counter with downriggers?
    If anyone would like to share their (go to) reels that would be great!

Default Robert 48

Read your response,nothing wrong with spinning reel, OK first off kokanee are planton eaters,planton are light senitive,so as the sun comes up the planton slips back down in the water column to the thermocline level. That why we fish the surface in the early morning. If I run a DR in the morning it's like 5/8 ft. As for line counters that's all I use. I run my lines in the morning back 80/100 ft. I use 10# max ultra green on my reels,12# Flor leaders 8/10 inches from wobbles. My go to wobbles are Paulson cascade/ Arrow flashers another name. Primary is 21ct gold,solid silver, copper for overcast day.

Robert 48 Sounds like you have the boat and gear dialed in. Your gonna need a bigger boat when I say "Flaming Gorge".
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

In addition to the Vance's rod I mentioned in the other thread, I run a couple of inexpensive eagle claw noodle rods with spinning reels spooled with braid and a 6 - 10' fluorocarbon leader with good success. The soft rods absorb a lot of shock and help keep the hooks from pulling out. Use good quality snap swivels and line twist should be minimal. I run my flashers off my downrigger ball when ever I can so I don't have the extra weight and resistance while I fight the fish. I like the chamberlain release for my downrigger, you can adjust it to pull with a very light bite so you don't drag fish around for hours. Wedding rings, homemade spinner rigs, hoochie rigs and apexes are my go to lures behind a variety of dodgers, cow bells, ford fenders etc.

Welcome aboard. Nice work with the restoration.
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!