Thread: Cabela's Military Discount

Hybrid View

Default Cabela's Military Discount

I got an email from Cabela's informing me that they are doing away with the military discount for on-line and phone orders. I assume that this is coming from BPS Corporate HQ after the merger. As a military Veteran, I am VERY displeased with this latest merger fallout. I have written them about this and gotten a reply back stating that my comments have been forwarded - didn't say to whom. I've already decided that I will look elsewhere locally and on-line for my outdoor clothing and gear purchases in the future. Cabela's will be my LAST source of choice from now on. I would encourage all Veterans to voice their displeasure with this decision by contacting Cabela's directly, and I would ask that you also consider shopping at other venues for on-line purchases in the future if you are a Veteran. Support from non-Veterans would be appreciated as well.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Your actions only make sense if you find another online source that provides a military discount. Switching to another store that doesn't have a discount just because you're pissed off would make no sense.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Your actions only make sense if you find another online source that provides a military discount. I very respectfully, but strongly, disagree. Speaking strictly from an on-line basis, Cabela's blew it for me when they discontinued a military discount benefit that was started less than 1 year ago. Switching to another on-line source that also doesn't have a military discount doesn't cost me a thing - now. And the odds are way in my favor that I'll find a source other than Cabela's for outdoor clothing and gear that is being offered at a lower price for equal or better quality. In fact, I already use a few of the other sources.

Switching to another store that doesn't have a discount just because you're pissed off would make no sense. Store purchases are an entirely different animal. There are several hundred large corporation stores that offer a military discount by showing them your military ID Card, active/retired. I do this all the time. However, Cabela's will not be my first or second choice for purchases in their stores, even though they offer a 5% military discount. I can get a military discount at Sportsmans Warehouse as well and at a lower price than Cabela's most of the time. You, however, are free to shop there as you see fit and I fully respect and support your right to do so. It's not that I'm pissed off at them - I'm not. However, I am highly disappointed in their decision to discontinue the on-line discount when it was already in place and working just fine. And based on that, I will vote with my feet and shop elsewhere whenever given the chance.
    No harm; no foul. You have your opinion; I have mine. Life is good.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Default Cabela's Military Discount

With the military discount you get back down to normal price of a lot of other stores on line

is it better to shop at a store that gave you a discount for years or a store that never offered you one in the first place . just curious and i mean no offence

Cabela's has always been more expensive then numerous stores locally, at least around here(western WA.).Any discount only seems to bring their prices in line with everyone else. Besides, they only keep their own brands in stock, forcing you to buy them vs. name brands for terminal tackle and other gear. They lost a big time boat sale with us due to trying to sell us what they had on hand vs. what we wanted. We drove to another state to buy our Duckworth from a different dealer. I haven't heard positive things about their boat servicing dept. either. That being said, I've gotten some good deals from the Bargain Cave. Bob R

Default Credit cards, ,money rebated, and interest

Dubob's arithmetic looks good as long as you pay off your card every month. If you carry a balance, it is possible to end up paying more for interest charges than what you get back in some form of rebate. We try to pay our cards off every month, but occasionally we get hit with a big bill like truck tires that we can't manage on one month's paycheck.

Since the discussion seems to have shifted to credit cards, all I'm saying is you have to consider both rebates and interest charges to determine which is actually the best card. The banks don't offer the rebates for free. The people who carry balances, especially significant balances, are actually paying for the rebates the rest of us get. Some cards charge an annual fee, another cost to consider when choosing a card.

Too much to think about. The weather might actually be good the first of next week. Time to use those cards to gas up the truck to go fishing!!!

Physion