Thread: Porcupine 2/11

Default Porcupine 2/11

With the ice fishing slowing to a crawl I am hoping to give Porcupine a try this Sunday. I did a drive by last weekend and there was a good bit of water opening up, at least enough to make me want to give it a try.
    Just wondering if anyone here has given it a try this year. This will be my first time fishing it right after ice off and any input or advice from current or previous experience with these conditions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

In 20yrs I've only launched in there twice when it was full pool. Most any other time its difficult for me to get my larger boat on the lake. Smaller boats have a much larger window to launch as the lake draws down. Past readings here have indicated good catching. Good luck
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Thanks Bduck, I hope to launch mid morning. The overnight temps are supposed to be in the teens so I’ll let it warm up a bit. I’m experimenting with a new kayak, trying to see if the downrigger is positioned right and if I can recognize Kokanee on the new fish finder. Probably bring the old tried and true kayak just in case.

2 yrs ago I fished it in early March and did ok.
    I just know stuff...

Gave her a try today. Fish did not want to cooperate but it was a beautiful morning to be on the water. The ice is going fast with much more water opened up compared to a week ago. Surface water temp at 36.7*.
    I found fish on the sonar 50’-75’. This is only the 2nd outing with this sonar, still working the bugs out.
    Any time on the water in February is a good time.