Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Lucky Peak Reservior Kokanee Fishing Report

It was windy. Hooked up on big kokes at point across from Marina down 25' ,1.6 mph ,pink Paulina hoochie,pink kokabow. Lost them all. Going to use brand new hooks next time. They like the procured Kokanee gel pink Firecorn
    team Zigzag

Quote Originally Posted by nepetbutler View Post
    It was windy. Hooked up on big kokes at point across from Marina down 25' ,1.6 mph ,pink Paulina hoochie,pink kokabow. Lost them all. Going to use brand new hooks next time. They like the procured Kokanee gel pink Firecorn
    Mid summer on I went to a #2 hook and one with a little wider gap for better results. I also liked the pink firecorn, they made it a lot firmer than I can get it trying to cure it myself.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Mid summer on I went to a #2 hook and one with a little wider gap for better results. I also liked the pink firecorn, they made it a lot firmer than I can get it trying to cure it myself.
    Took wife to LP today just to get on the water fished from 7:30 to 11:30 one good hit and netted one 8 in rainbow marked some nice fish but where closed mouth im ready for steelhead fishing

Default Anyone fishing LP lately?

Quote Originally Posted by G3 longliner View Post
    Took wife to LP today just to get on the water fished from 7:30 to 11:30 one good hit and netted one 8 in rainbow marked some nice fish but where closed mouth im ready for steelhead fishing
    I'm headed out Fri morning early to soak some
    Gear. Love this weather

Looking forward to your report! Good luck. Mike

I drove by LP this morning and didn't see any fishing boat by the dam area. All boat docks at Sheep Creek were dry. They really drain the reservoir quick. It's 83% full so it's 17' down? I might go to LP on Friday morning to soak my gear as well.
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

Default Slow!!!

Solo fishing in LP this morning from 9:00AM til 11:30AM. Caught 1 14" rainbow at 35' with DR and a new planner Chinook at 25' DR. Fish caught in Goose Neck Bay and both released. There wasn't any bite in Charcoal creek area. There were about 3 fishing boats in the area and I didn't see any net out. All boat docks around the reservoir are dried, 3 sections of Turner Gulch boat ramp still floating. I saw few people went hunting for fishing lure along the shore.

Thanks for the report fish4kok. Looks like LP is dead.... at least for a while. It's a double bummer that Arrowrock is also in the same boat. We will see if the fall will bring a few more fish. I think Fish and Game owes us some reasonable explanation to just what the hell is going on. There is just more to it than the 3 year cycle. Something happened to this fishery.... very hard to believe that Fish and Game doesn't have an opinion this. Their silence is very interesting..... Not a word about it.

Pauli

Default Friday we fished from 10:00 to 5:00

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    Thanks for the report fish4kok. Looks like LP is dead.... at least for a while. It's a double bummer that Arrowrock is also in the same boat. We will see if the fall will bring a few more fish. I think Fish and Game owes us some reasonable explanation to just what the hell is going on. There is just more to it than the 3 year cycle. Something happened to this fishery.... very hard to believe that Fish and Game doesn't have an opinion this. Their silence is very interesting..... Not a word about it.

Pauli
    Trolled from Spring Shores to Arrowrock and back.
    1 hit is all. I saw a spawned Kok floating. He was very red all spawned out. Not many boats or campers. It was a perfect day to be out.

Default LP is not so Lucky for me anyway on Friday

Launched at the Marina. Plenty of docks still out. No one
    At the launch. A little windy. We trolled all the way
    To Arrowrock found a great beach to hang out and get
    My Lab out. Saw lots of fish and even a jumper at the
    Base of the dam and fished their For an hour. 1 hit. Then we trolled
    All the way back to the Marina and ended our day at 5:30.
    Hardly any campers and boats out. You couldn't ask for a more beautiful
    Day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5116.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	9525  

Quote Originally Posted by DEALMKR View Post
    Launched at the Marina. Plenty of docks still out. No one
    At the launch. A little windy. We trolled all the way
    To Arrowrock found a great beach to hang out and get
    My Lab out. Saw lots of fish and even a jumper at the
    Base of the dam and fished their For an hour. 1 hit. Then we trolled
    All the way back to the Marina and ended our day at 5:30.
    Hardly any campers and boats out. You couldn't ask for a more beautiful
    Day.
    Gonna troll lp Mon Tue by birch creek. If you smell bacon, WAVE. I will raise my flag when I get kokes in the boat.
    team Zigzag

Default Did you raise your flag?

Gonna troll lp Mon Tue by birch creek. If you smell bacon, WAVE. I will raise my flag when I get kokes in the boat.
    I stopped by LP this morning at Tuner Gulch, there were couple trucks with the boat trailers in parking lot. I didn't see their boats by the dam area, they must fish further upstream, No bank fisherman . Very quiet.
    Did you catch any fish in Birch Creek?

Unhappy

Just bass and trout. I have no trolling motor. It's in the shop. I tried trolling with a drift sock and was all over the lake . I am so sad without my Minn Lotta terrova. Also lost a cannon ball. So I got to wait for more draw down to retrieve it.
    team Zigzag

Just bass and trout. I have no trolling motor. It's in the shop. I tried trolling with a drift sock and was all over the lake . I am so sad without my Minn Lotta terrova. Also lost a cannon ball. So I got to wait for more draw down to retrieve it.
    Thank for your reply and hopefully you will retrieve your ball, that's expensive lead ball ~$35. I had couple times with the ball snagged on the bottom but luckily I retrieved it. Later I set the alarm depth 10' below the depth of the DR ball and that's help me to watch closely when depth alarm sound off.

LP is 43' down, they drain the reservoir about 2'/day. Other site report as 61% full so it's about 39' down. All the main dock at Turner Gulch dry. Portable boat dock is already set up. Link for more info. of the major storage of reservoirs and water flow. Arrowrock is only 23% full!!!

https://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/boipaytea.html

Default Lucky Peak doesn't live up to its name

I fished for a few hours today and got 5 rainbows. No kokanee. I launched at Turner and fished towards Pipeline Gulch. The trout were nice fish, but not what I was looking for.

Default Another LP Story

Despite the recent grim fishing reports, my wife and I decided to head up to LP today (Tues). First trip there since early summer. Needed a fishing fix badly. :) Got a late start; didn't start fishing until 11:30, stopping at 3. I normally launch at Spring Shores, but decided to launch at Turner since it has a dock still in the water. And I rarely fish near the dam (just never had much luck there in the past) but decided to start fishing there since it was nearby. Within minutes (like 3!) of our first pass along the dam, I had my first fish on and lo and behold, landed a Koke! Couldn't believe it. In fact, I thought it was a trout and just lifted it into the boat (without really looking at it closely) instead of netting it. Boy was I surprised to see it was a Koke and that I didn't lose it bringing it into the boat. Happy Days! So we kept running back and forth in front of the dam (maybe 100 yards out). Got 5 more hits within an hour. Two of those were those quick hits you get. Pole takes a dive but then nothing. One was a nice trout that I landed and kept. The other two I had on for several cranks of the reel before I felt them throw the hooks. So, given what I think a lot of us know, I believe these 2 hits and 2 hookups were Kokes as well. Who knows really, but that's what I think. Finally on the 6th hookup I landed another Kokanee. Had 4 more hookups in the early afternoon, landing all 4. And all 4 were trout. Kept 1 and released the other 3. So all in all, kept 2 Kokes (each 12") and 2 trout (each 13"). The wind picked up and it was getting a little squirrely keeping the boat on track so we quit at 3pm. Details: 2 poles, both using ford fenders. Started with chartreuse spinners, and then changed to orange spinners and orange hoochies. Chartreuse got the most hits. No downrigger this time, just using 2 and 3 oz lead weights. 75 to 85 clicks out fishing in the 20-25 ft depth range. Marked plenty of fish between 20 and 50 feet down. So with a little more luck, I think I could have landed a few more Kokes. Always the optimist! :) Definitely not a bad outing, especially since my expectations were pretty low to start.
    Two pictures attached. First showing my catch for the day. The second pic shows the fillets after cleaning. Top two is one of the trout. Bottom two is one of the Kokes. It's always a nice surprise to find out a trout is orange/pink inside. But I was pretty surprised to actually see the trout were more pink than the Kokes. Don't think I've seen that before. Probably an age thing? Both BBQ'd up very nicely and tasted fantastic!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kokes_Trout.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	280.5 KB 
ID:	9531Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kokes_Trout_red.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	9532
    2004 Tracker Targa V16: beige w/ green trim and green canopy, 75hp 4-str Merc.

Thank you for the report!
    I put in at turner about 12:30 and saw you as you fished in front of the dam.
    I did not want to fish on top of you so I stayed further out in site of the dam and ramp.
    I caught 1 large male Koke who was clearly spawned out, as well as 4 trout, the trout I caught were covered in parasites. Did you experience this?

Default Yaaa

Quote Originally Posted by kokaneekevin View Post
    Despite the recent grim fishing reports, my wife and I decided to head up to LP today (Tues). First trip there since early summer. Needed a fishing fix badly. :) Got a late start; didn't start fishing until 11:30, stopping at 3. I normally launch at Spring Shores, but decided to launch at Turner since it has a dock still in the water. And I rarely fish near the dam (just never had much luck there in the past) but decided to start fishing there since it was nearby. Within minutes (like 3!) of our first pass along the dam, I had my first fish on and lo and behold, landed a Koke! Couldn't believe it. In fact, I thought it was a trout and just lifted it into the boat (without really looking at it closely) instead of netting it. Boy was I surprised to see it was a Koke and that I didn't lose it bringing it into the boat. Happy Days! So we kept running back and forth in front of the dam (maybe 100 yards out). Got 5 more hits within an hour. Two of those were those quick hits you get. Pole takes a dive but then nothing. One was a nice trout that I landed and kept. The other two I had on for several cranks of the reel before I felt them throw the hooks. So, given what I think a lot of us know, I believe these 2 hits and 2 hookups were Kokes as well. Who knows really, but that's what I think. Finally on the 6th hookup I landed another Kokanee. Had 4 more hookups in the early afternoon, landing all 4. And all 4 were trout. Kept 1 and released the other 3. So all in all, kept 2 Kokes (each 12") and 2 trout (each 13"). The wind picked up and it was getting a little squirrely keeping the boat on track so we quit at 3pm. Details: 2 poles, both using ford fenders. Started with chartreuse spinners, and then changed to orange spinners and orange hoochies. Chartreuse got the most hits. No downrigger this time, just using 2 and 3 oz lead weights. 75 to 85 clicks out fishing in the 20-25 ft depth range. Marked plenty of fish between 20 and 50 feet down. So with a little more luck, I think I could have landed a few more Kokes. Always the optimist! :) Definitely not a bad outing, especially since my expectations were pretty low to start.
    Two pictures attached. First showing my catch for the day. The second pic shows the fillets after cleaning. Top two is one of the trout. Bottom two is one of the Kokes. It's always a nice surprise to find out a trout is orange/pink inside. But I was pretty surprised to actually see the trout were more pink than the Kokes. Don't think I've seen that before. Probably an age thing? Both BBQ'd up very nicely and tasted fantastic!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kokes_Trout.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	280.5 KB 
ID:	9531Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kokes_Trout_red.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	9532
    Gonna try dam Saturday . Canyon Marine rebuilt my Minn kota. Thanks!
    team Zigzag

Oldfishnfart, none of the 5 trout I caught had any parasites. All looked in good shape. Next time cruise by and say Hi.

KokaneeKevin (AKA another old fishin' fart)
    2004 Tracker Targa V16: beige w/ green trim and green canopy, 75hp 4-str Merc.

Default Marina Launch

Any docks in the water at the Marina?

Quote Originally Posted by DEALMKR View Post
    Any docks in the water at the Marina?
    3. The kokes are biting just past gooseneck. On the right along with some big trout. Down 25'. They were on and gone.pink kokasquid. Gonna add a stinger hook on Monday.
    team Zigzag

Default Any Docks In The Water At Lucky Peak Today?

At the dam?

Thanks

My wife and I fished the Gooseneck Bay on Th. Tried DRs at 20 and 25', and pop gear for trout. No kokes and nothing on the DRs, but four trout on the pop gear at around 5 to 7' (1 to 1.5 colors).

Sat, took my son and grandson out to the same area. Just targeted trout with pop gear and trolling fly; 1 to 1.5 colors. 5 trout and one 12 to 13" koke. The got very busy in the afternoon with jet skis, etc.

There is one dock in at the dam, but only one side has the sand removed. Very busy when we pulled out.
    White 18' Hewescraft, 115 and 8 hp Yamaha

Default Maybe the last trip of the year? Color of kokanee meat?

I fished between Charcoal Gulch and Gooseneck for most of today. After the wind calmed down, I got one rainbow between 20 and 25 feet deep. I noticed some "boils" on the surface so then I tried trolling shallow. I got one more rainbow and two kokanee. All shallow and fairly close to shore. When I cleaned the kokanee I discovered their meat was much lighter than normal. Not white, but certainly not the rich orange color I usually see in kokanee. When cooked, they look more like trout than kokanee. The fish were bright with all their scales, so they hadn't tried to spawn this year. I am pretty sure they weren't chinook. Very few spots on the back and tail and the gums weren't black.

Thoughts? I have never seen this in kokanee.
    Last edited by Physion; 10-24-2018 at 07:26 PM. Reason: add info

I have no thoughts on this that make any sense. I do not doubt what you are saying, but it all does not make sense based on my experiences and my understanding of Kokanee. I admit I have not fished for them for a long time. Maybe 4 to 5 years now is all.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast