Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Arrowrock Reservior Kokanee Fishing Report

Default personal message

Hi, anyfishanytime,

I sent you a personal message a day or two ago. You can look at the very top of the sign in page for notifications. I asked you a couple questions you may not want to put on the general forum.

I asked where you live and suggested the possibility we might be able to find a date we can fish together. I am an old fashioned fisherman--I long line most of the time with older style lures. I have fish in the freezer and that's good enough for me. I am gradually learning how to use some of the more recent additions to our kokanee arsenal. One of these days I might even get proficient with a downrigger!!!

If you want to contact me directly, click on "Physion" at the top of this entry and send me a personal message. I try to check it at least once a day. You can also look at my personal profile on line. You might want to fish with a partner who is more up to date, but I'm willing to share what I do to catch a few fish.

There is normally a cycle of ages. The fish we are catching right now will be a three year fish that will spawn in the late summer. You will catch some of last years plant which will be a few inches shorter than the 15-16" average we are catching now

Default Thanks fellow fisherman

I’ve got more information in 1 day from you guys than I have in a year of doing my own research, really glad I joined this forum. Thanks again

Default Physion

I tried to send you a pm reply but I’m not sure if I did it right still working on getting acquainted with this page

Default Arrowrock Reservior Kokanee Fishing Report

Welcome to the forum Anyfishanytimeanywhere. Glad that others could help you with some of your kokanee questions. If you have further questions that are not Lake or Reservior specific. Fill free to start a new thread with those questions. Lets try to keep the Reservior specific Kokanee Report threads open for comments that are specific to that lake. Thanks.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Default information

anyfishanytime,

You might want to keep in mind that we are fishermen. Some of what we say might actually be true!?!?!? Are all fishermen liars or are all liars fishermen? Speaking only for myself, of course.

Anyway, many of us are willing to share, especially one on one. It can sometimes be frustrating to find a really hot spot one day, mention it on line, and return another day, only to find the area overcrowded with too many other boats for anyone to be able to fish comfortably. The flip side, the more successful fisherman we have, the more support there is for our Fish and Game people and the work they do on our behalf.

My usual preference is to give enough info to help someone get started, but not necessarily all the details. Conditions change and kokanee can be fickle. Part of the fun and challenge is figuring out how to win on any particular day. I do like helping others learn to enjoy some of the advantages we have here in Idaho.

When I fish Arrowrock, I usually fish opposite the boat ramps, in the confluence area, or in Nibbler Ck bay. Kokanee move a lot, so it helps to know about several areas that may be productive.

I hope we can find a time to get together.

Physion
    Last edited by Physion; 02-14-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Default Oops sorry

I will definitely do that sawtooth sorry just learning how to navigate my way through the forum. Thanks for letting me know.

Default Trolling with zigzag

Quote Originally Posted by anyfishanytimeanywhere View Post
    Fished arrowrock today for about 4 hours landed 1 Koke 13" and 2 trout. Just getting into Kokanee fishing and could definitely use some tips and advice anyone is willing to share. I mostly fish Arrowrock or Anderson with little success. Tried watching videos on youtube and read Alan from Kokabow Fishing Tackle Tips and Tricks article but still need help. Thanks
    I presoak pink Firecorn in procure anise krill oil, nuke mixture for 10 sec. Also I put a smiley or assassin blade above 1" green glow squid w/ from hoochie King 12" leader. Later i will use pink. I bend a silver slingblade to get more action. Longlinging bout 100'. The cannon drs are my favorite. Out 30' down 10'. I also teabag trap w/ 1 cotton ball soaked in anise/krill oil. Send that down the dr cable. When lines are set I clip on a bell to middle of pole so I can grab it off when I get a bite.then I cook sum bacon while listening for the bells. If you smell bacon WAVE.
    team Zigzag

Default This might be my year for arrowrock

I can second some of the insight shared here. As having just entered the sport of kokanee fishing a couple years back, ive yet to feel like i have a grasp on any real rhyme or reason for how to catch em consistently (except for deadwood... i think ive got that one figured out for now). Ive been able to catch my fair share at lucky peak, and finally had a good day last summer at anderson... but despite several attempts, i have yet to catch a koke out of arrowrock. Hoping to get out here in the next week or two, so i will post what i learn. Only frustration is i finally got my boat all set up just right last fall, and then my fishing buddy up and decided to go back to school to get his masters degree, so he tells me he has no time for fishing. I normally like to take my boys or some scouts when i can, but they cant go during the week with school, and my saturdays tend to fill up with honey doos.

Also, im curious if anyone sees a difference in performance of various scents of corn in the different reservoirs? Seems like shrimp flavored corn always worked the best for me at deadwood, but plain corn at anderson? Any favorites for arrowrock?

I was always a pro cure kokanee special guy, but my buddy brought along bloody tuna a while back and it seemed to perform well on Anderson and Arrowrock. So now there is some of that on my boat

Wife and I were thinking about going out to Arrowrock this morning (Sunday) to beat tomorrow's cold weather. Glad we stayed home. It's really blowing out here in Caldwell.....and it's hailing pigs and chickens!!

Pauli

Default Burr

Went out with a buddy today in his little boat and froze our butts off, only had a few bites no fish this trip. Maybe next week will be warmer weather and better fishing.

Smile 3-6-18

Trolled from 11am to 3pm. Boated 1 15" kok lost 1. On long lines and black spoon. Bank fished till dark, landed 2 fat hawgs 14" & 15" bows on garlic mallows. FYI my first post.

Tight lines, don't give em any slack, or give me any flack. 😊

Welcome to the site, and thanks for sharing. Particularly interested in your bank fishing report! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by anyfishanytimeanywhere View Post
    I’ve read that after yr 2 or 3 they return to creeks to spawn. Anyone have any insight on what year most of these fish will be in.
    seems to be a 3 year cycle up at arrowrock. 3 years ago we slammed them. 2 years ago, we never caught 1 koke. Last year we got a few, but not many. So I have high hopes for this year
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

Default Avalanche warning

FYI....I got my pathfinder windshield cracked by falling rocks just past the dam. So be aware. I'm glad that's all that happened. Oh the boat ramp is ice/snow free. Today fished from 9am to 3pm across from boat ramp.
    Threw everything except the kitchen sink and Dupont spinners at them came home with one 15" trout.

Quote Originally Posted by John1369 View Post
    FYI....I got my pathfinder windshield cracked by falling rocks just past the dam. So be aware. I'm glad that's all that happened. Oh the boat ramp is ice/snow free. Today fished from 9am to 3pm across from boat ramp.
    Threw everything except the kitchen sink and Dupont spinners at them came home with one 15" trout.
    I was up there a month ago with similar results. Three rainbows and no kokanee, fished from 8:30-3:00

I've been out 3 times this year....only 6 Kokes and several more Rainbows total. Hopefully the plankton will start to "bloom" soon. Awful cold on the water for just a few Kokes. Shouldn't be too much longer.

Pauli

Default Trolling with zigzag

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    I've been out 3 times this year....only 6 Kokes and several more Rainbows total. Hopefully the plankton will start to "bloom" soon. Awful cold on the water for just a few Kokes. Shouldn't be too much longer.

Pauli
    gonna fish below arrowrock w/Paulina hoochies.
    team Zigzag

Who's fishing tomorrow?
    Grey Hewescraft Sportsman 180 with Yamahas and a black top.

Default fishing saturday

I hope to go tomorrow. I haven't decided between Lucky Peak and Arrowrock. Recent reports from Arrowrock have not been encouraging and there aren't any recent reports from Lucky Peak. Thoughts or great words of wisdom? I would prefer not to get skunked on my first trip out this season. That would be a bad omen.

Physion

I went up to Arrowrock this morning and was on the water by 0730. Caught 2 16 inch Kokes right away. The next 2 took a bit of time to get. I ended up with 4 fat Kokes (15-16 inches) and 4 Rainbows (13-16 inches). All were caught across from the boat ramp. I did lose 3 right at the boat.....I'm pretty sure that 2 of those 3 were Kokes. Had 2 poles going....one with a blade and a pink wedding ring and the other with a blade and a blaze orange wedding ring. Hooks were tipped with a Big Gulp Maggot and 2 pieces of untreated shoepeg corn. Trolled at about 1.2 mph and used either a 2 ounce or 3 ounce weight at 30 pulls. The weather was just awesome early (but cold.....it was a propane heater day). At about 1130 or 1200, the wind kicked up....and the bite really turned off. Started across the boat ramp, then headed to the confluence of the South Fork (no bites) and trolled the Nibbler creek area (also no bites). Didn't make it over to the dam. I left at 1230.

When I cleaned the catch, 2 of the Kokes had roe in them. That kind of surprised me. Thought it was a little early for them to have eggs yet. Oh yeah..... the road absolutely sucks!!! I think it was the worst right there at the dam, through the constricted area. Not sure if I have ever seen it that bad. Strange thing is that it wasn't really wash-boarded.... it was pot holed. 200 yards of clear sailing followed by 100 yards of potholes. Took me 25 minutes to get from the hard ball to the boat ramp.

Anyone know who to call to get the road graded? I have seen it mentioned somewhere that one can call and report the road condition.....and someone will send out the grader. I'll head up again later in the week......if the road gets graded.

Pauli
    Last edited by Pauli; 03-26-2018 at 09:03 PM.

Default Corn...

Quote Originally Posted by packgoatguy View Post
    I can second some of the insight shared here. As having just entered the sport of kokanee fishing a couple years back, ive yet to feel like i have a grasp on any real rhyme or reason for how to catch em consistently (except for deadwood... i think ive got that one figured out for now). Ive been able to catch my fair share at lucky peak, and finally had a good day last summer at anderson... but despite several attempts, i have yet to catch a koke out of arrowrock. Hoping to get out here in the next week or two, so i will post what i learn. Only frustration is i finally got my boat all set up just right last fall, and then my fishing buddy up and decided to go back to school to get his masters degree, so he tells me he has no time for fishing. I normally like to take my boys or some scouts when i can, but they cant go during the week with school, and my saturdays tend to fill up with honey doos.

Also, im curious if anyone sees a difference in performance of various scents of corn in the different reservoirs? Seems like shrimp flavored corn always worked the best for me at deadwood, but plain corn at anderson? Any favorites for arrowrock?

I've used Kokanee killer mix at Arrow Rock with some luck... I know of a guy that fishes Deadwood with a Corn mix that they call Holy Corn no one has the exact recipe.. Some say he adds Dr. Pepper to it...

Fished Arrowrock Friday from 0700 to about 1400. Only caught 1 very large Koke and 4 fat trout. Koke was 18 inches. Trolled across from the ramp, Nibbler Creek and confluence of the South Fork. I did get TONS of bites but was not able to hook up. Orange and Pink were my colors of the day. LOTS of boats on the water.....most everyone I talked to did about the same as me.

Pauli

Default Nice boat ride

Fished Arrowrock on Wednesday mid morning to early afternoon from the boat ramp up to the south fork arm. No Fish. Fished with down riggers 10 to 25 feet, sling blades and arrow flash, hoochies, corn with Kokanee Killer and anise or shrimp scent. Also long line shallow with a Cousin Carl flasher and spinners with corn.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast