Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Anderson Ranch Reservior Kokanee Fishing Report

Quote Originally Posted by hooknhunter View Post
    To each their own, I guess. I have tried down riggers and been completely un-impressed. I don't want any.
    I like the idea of being able to make turns sharper. Sometimes we run 90’-100’ back and that takes way too big of a turn usually.

What did you really not like?

Put me in the love 'em camp. Have had my same Scotty downriggers for 17 years and they are great. I recommend electric if you have the extra bucks. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by dustyjohns View Post
    I like the idea of being able to make turns sharper. Sometimes we run 90’-100’ back and that takes way too big of a turn usually.

What did you really not like?
    I want to spend my time with my lines in the water. Not farting around with a down rigger. When the bite is hot and you are catching as fast as you can get your line down, I don't want to take all the extra time to set up the dr.

I want to spend my time with my lines in the water. Not farting around with a down rigger. When the bite is hot and you are catching as fast as you can get your line down, I don't want to take all the extra time to set up the dr.

Lol, I can stack 2 lines on a down rigger twice as fast as I can let out 100 feet of ford fender. So by the time you get 1 line out, I have 2 downriggers stacked with 4 lines out fishing. Plus I get to actually fight the fish, instead of fighting a flasher. And I can make 180* turns on a dime, when you pass over that big school. By the time you make your 1/2 mile turn with long lines, the school could be gone. Downriggers literally have all pros and no cons. I think that you think they are slow because you haven't used them long enough to pick up the fine touch. Stacking downriggers is an art. I can have 4 poles fishing in less than 4 minutes.
    Last edited by terek; 06-27-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

Quote Originally Posted by terek View Post
    Lol, I can stack 2 lines on a down rigger twice as fast as I can let out 100 feet of ford fender. So by the time you get 1 line out, I have 2 downriggers stacked with 4 lines out fishing. Plus I get to actually fight the fish, instead of fighting a flasher. And I can make 180* turns on a dime, when you pass over that big school. By the time you make your 1/2 mile turn with long lines, the school could be gone. Downriggers literally have all pros and no cons. I think that you think they are slow because you haven't used them long enough to pick up the fine touch. Stacking downriggers is an art. I can have 4 poles fishing in less than 4 minutes.
    Like I think I said earlier. Too each their own. Also, I can make very sharp turns and get my line back in the water and at depth faster than I can get the hooks out of the one I just caught. If you're happy with a dr I'm happy for you. Shouldn't you feel the same for me?

I've seen how the guys in their great big boats decked out with dr and all the bells whistles and such look down their noses at me. It actually makes me laugh inside.
    Last edited by hooknhunter; 06-27-2018 at 10:51 AM.

At the end of the day, do what feels the most comfortable and makes you happy and sometimes that isn't the most popular or even the most efficient way to catch fish. I've heard guys that swear they catch more fish with lead line. Personally, I'd rather catch less fish and actually feel them than fighting all the weight of gear to get them to the boat. If that means less fish for me, I'm good with it.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I use both leadcore and downriggers. Sometimes one way out catches the other and the next time it might work the opposite. I refuse to to put more than 5 colors of leadcore on a reel. If I need to go deeper than that it's all downrigger time for me.

Like I think I said earlier. Too each their own. Also, I can make very sharp turns and get my line back in the water and at depth faster than I can get the hooks out of the one I just caught. If you're happy with a dr I'm happy for you. Shouldn't you feel the same for me?

I've seen how the guys in their great big boats decked out with dr and all the bells whistles and such look down their noses at me. It actually makes me laugh inside.
    Longlinging is hard when there is alot of boats around
    team Zigzag

Ah, I see. Maybe that's why I don't do it much.
    Last edited by hooknhunter; 06-28-2018 at 12:37 PM.

If you are catching fish and I'm not I certainly want to know what and how you are doing it.

Mark me down as a ardent fan of the DR but run both pretty regularly.

I would agree with Terek in that you can load and set a dr in about 10 seconds total. I haven't fished at below 32ft for years so setting up is quick and easy once your system is dialed in. I suppose if you were setting up in the 60's and down it would start to be a bigger deal with the manual crankers. It gets maddening when you get a bite and your DR pops off without a fish.
    Of course I pull in a line and check after a bite too so it's just about equal in the PIA department.

It's very unusual for most old school koke guys but I catch a ton of fish right up on the top with my dr setups. Some as shallow as 6ft down. What is weird is that running long lines with minimal weight doesn't seem to produce as much as a DR set shallow. Lure trajectory or just flat out being at exactly the right depth versus approximate and guesstimated with weight? Maybe my type of setups fish better off a DR? Bet not since we still do get some action on the long lines when we do run 4 poles. So far I'm at about 7 to 1 DR to long line for my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Bomb View Post
    I would agree with Terek in that you can load and set a dr in about 10 seconds total.
    I have made it a point to watch peeps fishing with DR. I pay very close attention and I have yet to see ANYONE do it that fast, or even close to that fast. Takes most I've watched, well over 2-3 minutes. If you won't look down your nose at me, maybe you could take me fishing with you some time so I can see how you do it. I'd love to see a pro in action. I have no problems with anything that works. My belief is never argue with success. But so far, I see no need to transition to a DR to be successful, and based on what I've seen both at close and at far, I have no desire to change.

No doubt, there have been days when I watch peeps with DR out fish me. Makes me jealous as #$Z%@. BUT, I have also seen plenty of guys with DR drooling while I catch and they are not, on other days. I'm all for being able to adapt to the situation and do what catches. I just see no evidence that DR is superior to other methods every time, I have proven to myself, that often but not always, DR are NOT superior. Whatever works, don't argue with success.

I've also seen days (been on both sides of it, actually) when side by side fishermen using setups that are identical in almost every way, and one guy catches while the other guy watches. It can drive you mad.

I believe the question that started this conversation had something to do with "do you need a DR to be successful at Anderson". My experience says, No, you do not.

Peace out. I'm going fishing.
    Last edited by hooknhunter; 06-28-2018 at 02:18 PM.

My experience a few days ago at Anderson, was to not pay too much attention to what the fish finder was showing. I showed fish at 8ft, 23ft, 35ft, 45ft, but I caught most of the fish at 18 to 20, and caught a nice 15in bass trolling at 35ft. I usually put one stacker at 35 and the other at 18. If someone is with me I have them go 10 and 40. Then we see what gets hit the most.

Default Docks

Can everyone please email congressman Simpson about the docks not being in the water at Curlew. It is easy to do, so please take the time. Thanks! Happy Fishing!

Physion and I fished Anderson today from 1000 to 1630. Using downriggers, we boated 13 kokes and one King. Average size of the kokes were 16"; King was about 13". Started using a pink hoochie with a smile blade, then later in the afternoon switched to green which kept the bite going until we were done. Our depths ranged from 28-37'. My thanks to Physion for allowing me to fish with him... I need a boat.

My wife and I camped and fished Anderson on the evening of 6/27 and 7 to 1 pm on 6/28. On 6/27 we fished out from Curlew and caught 9 kokes to 17", and a 14" chinook. DRs from 25 to 35'. Watermelon, copper/chrome, and blue/chrome dodgers with pink hoochies or pink bead spinners, all with plain corn.

6/28 we fished from Curlew and worked our way to about 1/2 mile west of Lime Creek. Caught a few right off, then slow until around 11:30 when the bite picked up. I usually fish 4 DRs, but forgot two at home so I stacked one DR with two rods at 25 and 35, and set the other at 30'. During the slow period, I also put out a rod with 4 colors of lead core and a crawler/pop gear set up (for trout).

At the end of the day we kept 17 more kokes to 18", and released a couple of small ones. The hot ticket was a watermelon dodger with a pink hoochie, and a gold dodger with a pink bead spinner. 30 to 35 feet. We also caught two kokes on the trout set up.

My 2 cts on the DR vs lead core/long line. I have and use both. Normally, if I have to go more than three color of lead core (about 15' deep), then I prefer DRs. On the lakes I used to fish, it was common to have to go 50 to 100' deep in the summer for kokes so DRs were a must. I think I'm probably faster rigging and putting down a DR than letting out 3 or 4+ colors of lead core.
    White 18' Hewescraft, 115 and 8 hp Yamaha

Default July 4th

Caught 4 kept 1 17”. Fished 30-35 feet down using orange and green dodgers with pink or orange hoochies and firecorn. Hooked into a big fish that wasnt fighting very hard but was very heavy with a few kicks here and there. Lost him before we could see what was. Any ideas on what it could be? All the guys we taked to said it was pretty slow as well.

Default Good Friday Fishing @ Anderson.

My wife and I fished in Anderson yesterday from 7:30Am until 5:30PM. We took home 22 Kok from 14" to 18". Fish was really hot in early morning of West Side Curlew boat ramp, we boated 14 Kok at 10:30AM then it was slow down, caught the rest of them by Lime Creek and Wood Creek.
    We fished with 3 poles, 1 long line and 2 DR and most of the fish caught on DR from 35' ~ 40'. Vance dodger copper + pink squid + white corn with anise or herring scent.
    The long line (70' ~ 100') set up with 2 oz sinker + Ford Fender + Talon Kokabow + white corn. we caught only few fish on this rod.
    By the end of fishing talked to 2 fishermen whose bagged their Kok limit at Wood Creek area. I didn't ask for the the depth or lure info...
    The other fishermen boated 35 Kok with DR @ 50' deep.
    That was a nice day and the wind so calm in the afternoon. Reservoir is about 8' from full. Fish is slightly change color.

Got home, when I backed up the boat on the drive way, I noticed a sound like metal rubbed on the trailer wheel. I checked on next day and that was outer bearing was badly damaged. I bought 2 set trailer bearing kits at NAPA and will replacing them all. Lot of miles after 26 years rolling...
    Last edited by fish4kok; 07-08-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

Default Snake Warning!

I Pulled out of the lake around ten last night, at the dock near the dam. Walking up the ramp, about half way up I heard the BUZZ! I damn near got it, a coiled four foot rattle snake. I would have taken it out but he gave me the slip before I could, not a good spot for a snake with the amount of people taffic at that spot. Fished Friday & Saturday evenings, Friday was great! Not that many people on the lake, caught around ten huge kokes. Saturday evening sucked(might have been the huge amount of boat and jet ski traffic), a few small ones and one decent one.

Took some family from out of town up to Anderson Ranch today. Didn't get on the water until 10 am. Fished til 2 pm. Our boat landed 11 kokes all 15-18". Lost 4 or 5 others at the boat, as those reeling them in were all rookie fishermen. Sling Blades and home made spinners in pink and orange were the hot ticket at depths of 40-50 down on the downriggers. Hooks were tipped with shoepeg corn soaked in Herring and krill oil. Most caught out in front of Curlew. Two or three of the larger fish were starting to show faint shades of pink near the base of their tail.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Went up this morning to Anderson and fished from 7 to 10:30. We landed 9 fish, 5 of them were the big guys 16 to 18" in size and and the rest were 10 and 11" fish. Fished from Fall creek to Wood creek at 40 to 55' down. We were using pink spinner and wiggle hoochies.

Fished yesterday evening from about 6pm-9pm and caught maybe a hand full of 12 inchers and one 18 inch king. I’m not marking many fish, haven’t the last few runs. I fish around the Fall Cr. area, anyone notice the the kokes moving closer to the main coves?

Quote Originally Posted by JagerR View Post
    Fished yesterday evening from about 6pm-9pm and caught maybe a hand full of 12 inchers and one 18 inch king. I’m not marking many fish, haven’t the last few runs. I fish around the Fall Cr. area, anyone notice the the kokes moving closer to the main coves?
    went yesterday to Anderson Pretty slow for us not much of a morning bite - left early 1:30 looked like bite was picking up kept 4 nice ones thru back a lot of 11-12s looked like the downrigger boats where doing best we were longlining they has a little blush to them but not bad yet

Fished yesterday evening from 6-10, very slow. Worked depths 60-70, marking fish but not many hits. Was able to boat 4, 2 nice ones that is already showing signs of changing colors.

I fished Wednesday and though the bite was not spectacular it was pretty consistent. Boated 10 between 7-12:30. Lost that many more. Only had one downrigger as the other is needing repair. All were between 14-17". Fished 40-52' deep.

My wife and I fished on Wed and yesterday. We took home 41 Kok size from 14" - 18.5". On Wed. (9:00AM - 6:00PM) we boated 18 fish and 23 Kok on Thurs. from 7:00AM -3:00PM.
    Vance dodger + Signature pink squid (short leader 10.5") + white corn + herring scent, 35' line out then DR 40' - 45'
    My wife used Kokabow sling blade + modify squid with the color light pink with blue dot on the back and clear on the belly, 14" leader (skirt purchased from Kokanee Tackle shop on Fairview ave.) see picture.
    Fish is hot in early morning, after 10:00Am it slows down. In the afternoon they'll bite again and then there will be windy...
    There were many boats on Curlew and Lime Creek on Wed. but there weren't many on Thurs. Most of the fishermen quited by noon or when the wind came up.
    I bought 2 Chamberlain Stacker 101 line release last year and didn't use until now, after it dial in that work very good, really love this line releaser.
    Good luck and tight line to you all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sling-blade_1978.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	9494   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whole-smoke-kok_1944.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	353.4 KB 
ID:	9495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kok-fillet-smoke_1945.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	329.8 KB 
ID:	9496  
    Last edited by fish4kok; 07-20-2018 at 08:32 PM.
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast