Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Anderson Ranch Reservior Kokanee Fishing Report

Default Killing me!

Quote Originally Posted by fish4kok View Post
    My wife and I fished on Wed and yesterday. We took home 41 Kok size from 14" - 18.5". On Wed. (9:00AM - 6:00PM) we boated 18 fish and 23 Kok on Thurs. from 7:00AM -3:00PM.
    Vance dodger + Signature pink squid (short leader 10.5") + white corn + herring scent, 35' line out then DR 40' - 45'
    My wife used Kokabow sling blade + modify squid with the color light pink with blue dot on the back and clear on the belly, 14" leader (skirt purchased from Kokanee Tackle shop on Fairview ave.) see picture.
    Fish is hot in early morning, after 10:00Am it slows down. In the afternoon they'll bite again and then there will be windy...
    There were many boats on Curlew and Lime Creek on Wed. but there weren't many on Thurs. Most of the fishermen quited by noon or when the wind came up.
    I bought 2 Chamberlain Stacker 101 line release last year and didn't use until now, after it dial in that work very good, really love this line releaser.
    Good luck and tight line to you all.

Yo, fish4koke......you are killing me here!

I have been unable to get out for over a month (family health matters to attend). Anyhow, your report and photos are fabulous! Such a beautiful job cooking your up catch and sharing with us land lubbers. You are and artist man . Good luck to you as the season winds down.

Quote Originally Posted by pollackoke View Post
    Yo, fish4koke......you are killing me here!

I have been unable to get out for over a month (family health matters to attend). Anyhow, your report and photos are fabulous! Such a beautiful job cooking your up catch and sharing with us land lubbers. You are and artist man . Good luck to you as the season winds down.
    Yo, pollackok...I wish your relative get well soon. I had a same situation as yours back in 2015. Thank you for your very kind words. Best wishes!
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

fish4koke,

Those look really yummy.

Fished Sunday morning from 0630-1130, it was a rough day for me and my daughter. We had a total of 4 hits and boated one small nook. Put in at the dam, fished a few spots on the way to Fall Cr. and didn't have any luck. Then fished the Wood Cr. area for a bit and nothing. Back to Fall Cr., there was way to many boats water skiing way to close to us, called it a day. I'm fishing 45'-60' range at speeds 1-1.5, swapping out colors here and there, seen a few schools of fish on the finder. Any tips? I have never fished past Wood Cr., should I be in the Lime/Curlew area this time of year?

Default Anderson Report

Fished Curlew area then towards Lime Creek Sat from 10am to 4pm with many intermittent breaks for dog play swimming and napping. Pretty slow for us but we managed about 15 boated fish of various sizes and varieties. Most caught on silver dodger with a Shasta Tackle pink glo squid tied 8" back at 35ft-38ft. Used Pautske fire corn pink with Mikes blue herring oil. The biggest fish were right at 17 and a very slight tint off of silver. On Sunday it was about the same but we also had a crazy amount of bites without a solid hook up. Mostly fished with just two setups DR. The weighted long lines didn't produce anything and is just a PIA to manage.

On Sunday we caught five fish right off the bat with the Saturday combo and technique then it slowed way down and I started the random switch and change with a hit or fish about every hour so not very exciting. I switched to new corn coated with powdered bloody tuna and Mike's blue herring and that seemed to be the ticket. At 4pm we finally accidentally caught a really hot nice 17" at 52ft. Weirdly this was up the narrow section past Lime towards Fall Creek. We marked a bunch of fish at 50 to 60 and finally got the combo right and that was what they wanted. We could only catch them going one direction and in the same 200 yard stretch. The wind was blowing steady and pretty hard so our troll speed was slow at 1.5 to 1.6MPH. We got 6 nice 16-17.5" pre-spawners one after another and lost three in that one single little area. We did five passes and caught 6 fish with a nice big fish double. Time ran out and that was it. Those fish were really hot and that was a lot of fun!

Through the weekend we caught 3 chinook all about 14". Two bass and several squawfish one of which was about 24". Something big and mean also broke my 10lbs leader hoochie setup off after a few pulls...would have liked to seen it.

A bunch of boats on Saturday and early Sunday but by noon on Sunday almost everyone went away. Sunday at 4pm when we finally got things rolling there were only three boats within eye sight.

Default Good Day fishing

Yesterday we put in at the dam and started fishing at Fall creek at 7:00 AM. Saw lots of fish on the finder 25 to 70' down but could not buy a hit. Traveled up to Wood creek next, no hits so went to the narrows before Lime and was reeling in a tangled mess caused from too many tight turns and circles when I caught the first nice Kokanee. We got straightened out and it was still slow. We talked to other boats who had one fish as well so I changed out the pink Hoochie I was using on all four poles to green and orange. We started catching fish. 35 to 50" down 30" back with orange hoochie and orange Mack's smile blade. White corn covered in Mikes blue herring oil (thanks F Bomb!) We took home 9 nice Kokanee between 9:30 and 11:30. Had to get my fishing buddy home to get ready for work to defend our country at Mountain Home Air Force Base. After 11:00 the bite slowed way down. Had some fillets fried crispy and laid on a salad last night they were great!!! Good Luck!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hooknhunter View Post
    fish4koke,

Those look really yummy.
    Yes and those smoke kok. didn't last very long. Last Saturday we had friends (3 married couple)came over for Kokanee BBQ. We gave them 2 fish per couple when they went home, that's way we can go out and fish some more.
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

Quote Originally Posted by fish4kok View Post
    Yes and those smoke kok. didn't last very long. Last Saturday we had friends (3 married couple)came over for Kokanee BBQ. We gave them 2 fish per couple when they went home, that's way we can go out and fish some more.
    was a tough day yesterday on the water by 6:30 fished Curlew and Lime creek had a few hits but no takers I watched a lot of boats downriggers and loge liners i saw very few caught talked to a couple boats , maybe had 1 to 3 Moved back to the narrows and started getting more hits Lost a couple big ones One broke the swivel Lots of ghost fish ( big hit steal the corn and bye bye ) by 1pm got way to hot for this old man tried by the dam before getting out but nada Maybe find em next time

Default Anderson Report

Took my buddy up to Anderson yesterday (Tues 8/24). Kind of a slow day compared to previous trips, even though we were marking plenty of fish. And it was a hot one too, with the temp hitting 100 by noon. Fished from 8:15am until 2pm. Landed 17 Kokes between the 2 of us, releasing 6 of those as they were under 12". Keepers were between 14" and just a nose over 16". Included landing 2 doubles which is always fun! Used the usual gear: ford fenders, dodgers, hoochies, and spinners. White spinners and chartreuse spinners proved to be the most popular. For one pole, used my downrigger to fish between 40' and 60'. Used long-lining with 6oz weights on the other 2 poles. Ended up getting most of the hits on the long-line poles which were down in the low to mid 40-foot range. We initially got a few hits right away (one 16" keeper) just off the Curlew ramp. Then nothing for the next couple of hours. Went down to Lime Cr and even further south with no hits. Saw plenty of boats doing the same thing. Almost none ever going for their nets. We then went back to the Curlew area and just south of it and the bite finally turned on a bit, but still slow. All-in-all, only saw 2 fish netted the whole day (other than those netted in my boat :) ). Talked to one guy who caught 5 on Mon and only 1 on this day. So it seemed like it was pretty slow for everyone. We did work hard for the ones we got, especially in the heat. Good thing for my canopy! Still a great time, as it always is fishing for Kokanees. And from the pic, you can see they are turning pretty fast, changing color, with the males changing shape and getting a kype.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kokes_AndR_July.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	9498

KokaneeKevin
    2004 Tracker Targa V16: beige w/ green trim and green canopy, 75hp 4-str Merc.

Default 7-21-18

Hi guys I'm new to the board. Fished Anderson for the first time on July 21. Fished from 7am-8pm with my father. We were fishing 45' and 30' using green Dodgers and orange spinners with pink corn. Both of our first kokanee ever and we took home 11 ranging from 14"-17". Mostly trolled left of curlew ramp at 1.2mph. I had my leaders at about 20" I think 10" might of been better and maybe troll at a faster speed 1.4-1.6 might have been better.

So we went up to Anderson for my birthday yesterday. We managed to bag 15 fish by 2 p.m. it was actually really slow bite. It took us a long time to find them and we only found fish in one 50 foot circle and would either double or triple up every time we passed over it. Talk to a couple other people one group didn't catch any and the other boat only got two. They are really starting to show. Most of them had blotchy pink on them and three of them were pretty much entirely pink about to go completely red. That was probably my last trip cuz I don't see very much longer until they start going up the Stream. I was stacking to downriggers each one with a pole at 60 ft and 50 ft and we are catching them on all four. Orange wedding ring and orange hoochie where the hot tickets. DePaul that did the best tattoo in Orange hoochie and a rainbow colored Dodger
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

Does anyone know if the fish have turned red yet and started running up stream? Im bent on getting a red one on the fly.

Also, does anyone have any flies they have had success with in the past? Im going to start with egg patterns, egg sucking leaches and purple/ red streamers.

Default Anderson Kok Killer

We fished AR yesterday by the mid lake area and got into several schools of 2 yr fish. We landed about 15 with several Kings and Trout mixed in. All fish taken 35-60' on Dodgers and Pink Hoochie or Orange Wedding Rings.

That is great news, thanks for the report with tackle and depth. This is very helpful to us that have not been able to get up much this year!

Default Anderson Kok Killer

Also fished the Dam and caught small 1 yr fish before the kings and trout moved in.

Default Chinook

How old are the Chinook at Anderson Ranch? I can't remember when they were first stocked but maybe 2 or 3 years ago?

Has anyone caught any that weigh 10# or better?

They have been stocking Chinook in Anderson yearly fron 2013. If you go to historical stocking reports at Idaho fish and game you can check out numbers and dates if you are curious. A friend in my boat caught a 7 lb a couple years back on Kokanee gear that was a lot of fun! By the way my friend kept the fish he caught to eat and was not impressed. I could only guess at the growth rate , although there have been talk of big fish being caught. Good luck!

Default Chinook

We caught a chinook several years ago that was exactly 10 #. I was using the same gear I fish for kings with on the coast. There was a gap in plantings, and I am thinking next year should produce some good fishing for them. I haven't heard anything about the current size of them. By the way, the chinook we caught was every bit as good as our ocean-caught fish, if not better. Mike

Lightbulb Big Chinook

The Chinook caught at Anderson are as good eating as those caught on the Oregon coast?

WOW!

Is the flesh colored a deep orange, almost red, like the coastal fish?

The ones I caught at Anderson have all been juveniles and light colored flesh.

I may have to change fishing tactics and catch some adult fish.

I just returned from the Oregon coast where I caught a 30 and a 36 inch King/Chinook.

They are super good table fare and smoke really well too.

I don't think color has anything to do with flavor. One of the most prized chinook is the white king or chinook. True, it is hard to beat the ocean-caught king, but if salt water had a lot to do with flavor, we wouldn't all be spending as much time as we do fishing for kokanee. Certainly as least as good, if not more so, than their ocean brothers, the sockeye.

Caught a few big red spawner kokes last Sunday and they ate absolutely deliciously as straight BBQ fare. Fishing was pretty slow for us but we did get some action. Caught several 14" Chinook. We heard a wild rumor about a crazy catch count of third year fish deep so we tried but I couldn't get a bite below 81ft. We marked vast numbers of fish at 80ft and also along the bottom 109ft to 179ft at the deepest I found but I'm not going to lose my equipment so we didn't drag bottom as was reported to be the way to get em. All of our koke action was again right at 50ft to 56ft even though we marked way more fish deeper. I haven't spent any time close to the damn so maybe it's deeper there and that was where these guys were fishing. (?) Or it was a fishing story.......

Default Chinook

I have salmon fished in Oregon and Washington for years and love eating salmon. That's what got me started kokanee fishing. Early this year i finally caught a couple of chinook at Anderson Ranch and was excited to get them cooked. I was really disappointed in the flavor, very bland. Since then I have been releasing any chinook I caught. I guess I will have to try keeping another one to see if I change my mind about the flavor.

Maybe the flavor of them changes when they get to the size where they begin feeding primarily on larger kokes? Just a thought. Mike

My experience is similar to Snowman's. I used to live near the coast, and always looked forward to catching and eating ocean fresh chinook salmon. A couple of years ago my wife caught a 23" (approx) chinook at Anderson Ranch. When we filleted it we noticed that the meat was white, not pink. We barbecued it like a normal chinook, and found that it tasted (at least to us) more like a trout than a salmon. We also caught and kept a couple of 14" chinooks earlier this year. When we ate them, they again reminded us more of trout than salmon. Not bad, but definitely not as good to us as a kokanee or ocean chinook.
    White 18' Hewescraft, 115 and 8 hp Yamaha

Interesting. My large chinook was just as pink as the kings I catch at Sekiu every year. Now I'm even more confused!! Mike

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast