Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 Dworshak Reservior Kokanee Fishing Report

Default Any one having any luck lately?

Any updates on the kokanee fishing and what you were catching them on, the approximate depth and location on the lake? Hope to make it out this week and would like an idea of where to start.

Thanks!

Default Dworshak

A friend of mine went last week
    They fished hard and tried many old spots. Caught 4, nice size but only 4.

[QUOTE=kokaneecowboy;62750]Any updates on the kokanee fishing and what you were catching them on, the approximate depth and location on the lake? Hope to make it out this week and would like an idea of where to start.

Thanks![/QUO

Fished last Friday and Saturday. Standard kokanee trolling gear, marked most fish at or near 20' deep from Indian Creek up. One guy went to Grandad and caught 10 so the fish are broadly scattered. Never marked a school, just singles, doubles, and occasional triples. Had to hunt around to find good fishing but managed limits with persistence and hours. Snubbers and rubber bands for lot's of stretch. Fish average 10-11" with one in 10 going 12-13". Nearly all boats went above Freeman Creek. Luck to ya!

Quote Originally Posted by kokaneecowboy View Post
    Any updates on the kokanee fishing and what you were catching them on, the approximate depth and location on the lake? Hope to make it out this week and would like an idea of where to start.

Thanks!
    Did you end up getting out?

Default Dworshak

Any fish being picked up by the dam? Hope to be on the water Tuesday and would appreciate any reports, depths, and gear info that anyone has to offer. Thanks

Default Merry's Bay

Friend went out last week and did well. 4 oz. 28 feet out early morning trolling at 1 mph. They were using garlic corn.

Default Grandad

Anyone having any luck up at grandad? Should be improving up that way. Just looking for a report before heading up the lake.
    Thanks

Default Grandad

Quote Originally Posted by stevec View Post
    Friend went out last week and did well. 4 oz. 28 feet out early morning trolling at 1 mph. They were using garlic corn.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim1992 View Post
    Anyone having any luck up at grandad? Should be improving up that way. Just looking for a report before heading up the lake.
    Thanks
    Got a report from Dent. My buddy went for 5 hrs and got 3. I've heard better reports around Merrys Bay.

Default Merry's Bay in mid July?

Quote Originally Posted by Elkchaser View Post
    Got a report from Dent. My buddy went for 5 hrs and got 3. I've heard better reports around Merrys Bay.
    Not likely Elkchaser. Me thinks it smells fishy ; - )

Default Grandad

Save some gas Bigjim1992. Put in at 6 this morning, off at 11. 19 at Bruce's.

Default grandad

Save some gas Bigjim1992. Put in at 6 this morning, off at 11. 19 at Bruce's.
    Thanks for the update!

Default Smaller fish

Two of us yesterday around Bruce's. Fished 6 hrs and caught 43. Almost half of them are 7 inches though. Are these like one year fish that won't spawn this year? The rest were nice 12 to 13 inch thick fish. I haven't been fishing for kokanee very long but never caught two distinct sizes before.

Default Kokes are moving up

Two of us yesterday around Bruce's. Fished 6 hrs and caught 43. Almost half of them are 7 inches though. Are these like one year fish that won't spawn this year? The rest were nice 12 to 13 inch thick fish. I haven't been fishing for kokanee very long but never caught two distinct sizes before.
    That's great, Elkchaser, that fish are still being caught at Bruces! Unusual for mid July but it probably means there's a lot of fish and they're broadly scattered.

Last Wednesday my wife & I fished Dicks, Elk Creek, and Dent Bridge and netted 20 adults in 3 hours with the bridge producing best. Thursday we headed several miles above Dent and boated 41 adults. Some friends went further up and did as well. Released several shakers (next years fish) which holds promise for next year (if they don't get flushed). We did talk to a number of discouraged fishermen though. Fish are still scattered but we hunted and found a couple areas with better concentrations. We hit a period of 2+ hours where we'd hit fish every time we marked them on the finder. Several doubles and 2
    triples. Great fun and a drop dead gorgeous setting. Best of Luck!

Default Dent

Quote Originally Posted by icelander View Post
    That's great, Elkchaser, that fish are still being caught at Bruces! Unusual for mid July but it probably means there's a lot of fish and they're broadly scattered.

Last Wednesday my wife & I fished Dicks, Elk Creek, and Dent Bridge and netted 20 adults in 3 hours with the bridge producing best. Thursday we headed several miles above Dent and boated 41 adults. Some friends went further up and did as well. Released several shakers (next years fish) which holds promise for next year (if they don't get flushed). We did talk to a number of discouraged fishermen though. Fish are still scattered but we hunted and found a couple areas with better concentrations. We hit a period of 2+ hours where we'd hit fish every time we marked them on the finder. Several doubles and 2
    triples. Great fun and a drop dead gorgeous setting. Best of Luck!
    We fished from Dent to Cranberry Cr. Today and caught 7. We were fishing 4 oz. About 40 ft out just like we have been around Bruce's. Not very good fishing for about 6 hrs. What depths and speeds are you using. Saw many folks fishing at various speeds.

We fished from Dent to Cranberry Cr. Today and caught 7. We were fishing 4 oz. About 40 ft out just like we have been around Bruce's. Not very good fishing for about 6 hrs. What depths and speeds are you using. Saw many folks fishing at various speeds.
    We were further up and fishing the same depth as you. The fish generally are moving up reservoir and deeper in the water column as July progresses. You probably noted boat traffic headed up in the a.m. and down later in the day. A little faster troll worked best for us this year.

Default Kokanee Fishing

Was going to motor up to sliver creek tomorrow for some kokanee. Sat 7/28

anyone got any reports on the fishing up that far?

thanks

Default Kokanee Fishing Saturday

All
    was on the lake at daylight and motored up to Ladd Creek and fished from there to Gold Creek. was marking lots of fish but the bite was on between 0830 and 1030; then it was over.
    got my limit and was back to the dock at noon.
    half the limit was 6/7 in (next year crop); the other half were nice 12 in with couple close to 14 in.

later

Checked out Grandad today.

I couldn't find anything to mark up there. Nothing at all. Caught a few bass.

Stopped in Reeds and marked herds of fish. Caught a bunch of 8-9 inchers. Headed home. I thought we should see some spawners. I thought wrong. Beautiful day. Nobody on the water at all.
    Gray/White Bluewater - Stop and say howdy!

Default Kokes

How many did you catch Ricks?? Thinking about going one more time next weekend.

It was around 8 or 9. Tossed them all back. They were pretty young and studly tough. We spent most of the day powering hither and yonder and then sonar trolling. Not a lot of fishing time for covering most of the lake.
    Gray/White Bluewater - Stop and say howdy!

Default Zombie Fish and other ?s

Went up to the Reeds Creek area fishing for smallmouth this past Saturday 9/22. We did ok, about 50 fish between my son and I, but nothing bigger than 2lbs. We ran up to the end of Reeds. I wanted to see if I could see any Kokanee spawning activity. We didn't look in the creek because I didn't beach the boat but there were a group of about a dozen Mergansers clustered at the mouth of the creek. As we got closer we could see that they were feasting on Kokanee that they had pulled out of the water. The fish were about 12 inches long and in various shades of dark grey/black and also dark red. We left after that since I had my curiosity satisfied.

Does anyone know what other creeks they spawn into?

Also has anyone launched at the boat ramp near Grandad bridge? I have never been up that far on the water but was curious if it worth dragging your boat up the Basin road to fish up there?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kokaneecowboy View Post
    Went up to the Reeds Creek area fishing for smallmouth this past Saturday 9/22. We did ok, about 50 fish between my son and I, but nothing bigger than 2lbs. We ran up to the end of Reeds. I wanted to see if I could see any Kokanee spawning activity. We didn't look in the creek because I didn't beach the boat but there were a group of about a dozen Mergansers clustered at the mouth of the creek. As we got closer we could see that they were feasting on Kokanee that they had pulled out of the water. The fish were about 12 inches long and in various shades of dark grey/black and also dark red. We left after that since I had my curiosity satisfied.

Does anyone know what other creeks they spawn into?

Also has anyone launched at the boat ramp near Grandad bridge? I have never been up that far on the water but was curious if it worth dragging your boat up the Basin road to fish up there?

Thanks
    Seems like most spawn in the main free flowing North fork and tributaries like Skull Creek.

We used to camp and fish at Grandad every year when we lived closer. The road through Headquarters was the best. Late July and very early August for Kokes. Good bass too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12