Thread: 2018 Eastern Idaho Kokanee Fishing Report (Ririe/Palisades/Island Park Reserviors)

Default 2018 Eastern Idaho Kokanee Fishing Report (Ririe/Palisades/Island Park Reserviors)

Good luck this year. Let us know how the fishing is in Eastern Idaho.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Default Ririe

I fished Ririe from 11:30 to 3:00 pm across from the Juniper Boat ramp. I caught 3 kokanee ~12". All were caught on a flat line between 60 and 70 feet out on Kokabow in-flight trolls, yellow/gold.

Default Ririe, Palisades and Island Park Reserviors

Can any one from the area tell me where I could go to catch some kokes? I want to visit the area again but I want to fish for kokes. Any info would be Great. Thank you

Default Ririe

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Can any one from the area tell me where I could go to catch some kokes? I want to visit the area again but I want to fish for kokes. Any info would be Great. Thank you
    Earl, if you go a good place to start is across from the Juniper boat ramp.
    I fished Ririe on Friday the 20th and caught 2 kokanee both around 12". We launched from Juniper boat launch and caught both fish south of the Picnic area. Both were caught on flat lines with silver and pearl Kokabow in flight trolls with green Kokabow spinners. It was very windy with gusts to 28 mph, which made it tough to control the boat.
    We went out again this past Wednesday and only caught one fish, a 14" rainbow on an all silver flasher. It was very slow, we only had one other fish hook up and get off. It was not as windy as the week before, wind was 10-15 mph with gusts to 18 mph, but it was still tough to maintain a trolling speed below 2 mph. We trolled from Juniper almost to Blacktail and tried all kind of lure and color combinations. We varied speed and depth from the surface to around 20 feet.

Default Good Day on Ririe

Fished Ririe today with 2 friends. We caught 20 kokanee, all in the 13 to 14" range. Some fatter than others. Most fish caught in 18-25 feet of water. Almost all fish caught on small silver gang trolls. Brand did not seem to matter as long as it was silver. Orange hoochies or kokabow spinners on the end. I tried several other combinations, but that is what caught all but 2 fish. We fished from 8:30 to 4:00 and lost at least as many as we caught.

Default Decent Day on Ririe

Two of us fished Ririe on Friday. We mostly fished across from the Juniper boat launch, but we did run up stream almost to the floating outhouse. We ended up with 8 kokanee and 1 rainbow. All around 13-14 inches. Most fish were caught on a watermelon kokabow dodger with a tiger stripe gold needlefish. All but one caught on a downrigger between 40 and 50 feet. Most of the action was between 10 and 2. Quite a few people on the water for a week day, but it was pretty civilized.

Default Slow Day

Three of us fished on Ririe Thursday from 8:30 to 3:30. It was very slow. We marked lots of fish near the dam and at several locations upstream. Tried varying speed from 1.0-1.8 mph and depth from 30-65 ft along with all kind of color and lure combinations. We caught one around 11", lost another a bit smaller at the boat and released another that was only around 8". No mature fish to be had. Others we talked to seemed to be having the same luck. I thought the mature fish would be starting to change and would be pretty aggressive.