Thread: What’s everyone’s best modification you have done to your boat.

Default What’s everyone’s best modification you have done to your boat.

Probably my most worthwhile addition is the troll master throttle control I love how it can change speed by the 1/10 of a mph. Next would be the switch to electric downriggers.
    [SIGPIC]

Last year I added some new side-guides to my boat trailer, stronger , taller and adjustable. This year I'm replacing some of the LED trailer lights with some better ones and also adding a Prop guard to my kicker motor. Hoping to do a good cleanup of the boat .
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

​ Hey Saltrunner , your going to love that TrollMaster Controller.
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

I really like my auto deploy/stow trolling motor. I just gotta get the nerve up to launch and spot lock the boat while I park the truck.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I've added a bow mount 101 ripe tide open up so much more fishing opportunities, and up graded my electronic to a Garmin 741s with downview ,chirp, very happy with the results.

New travel cover and rear curtain. Oh, also enjoy the elevated rod holder that goes in the seat pedestal hole on rear deck

I completely gutted out the interior of my boat replacing the vinyl floor w/marine plywood and side carpet. Had new side curtains made for cold weather use and screen curtains for nicer weather use. Also had a complete travel cover from windshield to back of transom. New paint job for exterior this summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7220001.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	9328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1275.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	9326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1281.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	9327  
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

WOW, now that is a ton of work and it looks great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
    WOW, now that is a ton of work and it looks great!!!
    I'm really pleased on how it turned out. I would say the hardest part was the sides after old carpet came out. Scraping the old carpet glue was a real pain and took about 2 days on each side. But in the summer when temps soared to heated levels gave me plenty of time to make it look right. I will be doing the prep work, applying corrosion control-the dirty part of sanding, some minor body work and a good friend is going to paint it.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Fantastic!!! Hope you have it ready soon for spring fishing!

I won't be missing any fishing. Timing for summer weather and a 2-3wk shutdown where I'll be ready for fall time
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    I'm really pleased on how it turned out.
    Very nice, Roger.

All I plan on doing with mine is replace battery for starting and running fishfinder. Of course, boat is only three years old. I left a light on and it completely drained the things while sitting for a couple months last summer. The AGM battery never came back. Shame, as it was a size 31 lightly used because the guy I bought it from had originally intended it to also run a trolling motor. I prefer a separate battery for that and have done so. Thus, I'll go smaller and save 25 lbs in the rear of this small fishing boat.

Default Dual sonar/ GPS set up

Looks very Nice Roger, beautiful work. Adding some electronics to mine!

Pics adddedClick image for larger version. 

Name:	3D0ECAB1-1B12-48AA-B65C-0F8D53FA88E5.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	9330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9A716B7F-0419-40C6-A526-96A668185639.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	9329
    Last edited by Kokaholic; 03-03-2018 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Add photo
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

I keep adding little things such as interior lighting, replacing some wires. Not enticed with buying a bow mount motor but not ruling it out either. Battery expense has gotten rediculas and I'm not fond of the idea of a 3 battery system like most are. Have my eyes set on an onboard charging system. Too much maintenance pulls away from fishing time. I'm getting to where my shoulders & knees at times can't keep up.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel

Answering a question on another forum reminded me of this modification to my boat and it had to be listed here as one of my top.

https://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/...ghlight=Eating

Roger your interior turned out great. I was impressed with it when I fished with you a couple of times last year. Ross your new enclosure and travel cover turned out great as well (glad I could help with some photos of mine for your canvas guy).

Nothing too extravagant on my boat lately just added a Drotto boat latch and a spot light for running after dark. I am looking at adding a trollmaster and vessel view mobile soon. Might need to sell some tackle I don't use to pay for it though to get it by the wife without her knowing . With a baby on the way I am sure I won't be adding anything new for some time.
    2016 Lund 1775 Crossover XS aka the "Play N Hooky"

You will never stop adding to the playinhookey Ryan!!👍

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo307 View Post
    Might need to sell some tackle I don't use to pay for it though to get it by the wife without her knowing . With a baby on the way I am sure I won't be adding anything new for some time.
    Congratulations Ryan on the new addition. A future hunter & fisher in the making. Training day soon to begin.

If wifee only knew of hidden investments a real treasure in the boat she could make a small fortune selling them off and she might say keep the boat 'DEAR'. My advice is HIDE THE HUNTING GEAR.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel

At the end of last season I upgraded my bowmount trolling motor to a Motorguide Xi5 with Pinpoint GPS and the anchor lock feature. Only played with it a couple times and mainly with the anchor lock feature. It does a lot more than that. I need to re-read the manual and really run it through its paces this year and take advantage of all it has to offer. The anchor lock should be nice for vertical jigging.

Quote Originally Posted by WYCOangler View Post
    At the end of last season I upgraded my bowmount trolling motor to a Motorguide Xi5 with Pinpoint GPS and the anchor lock feature. Only played with it a couple times and mainly with the anchor lock feature. It does a lot more than that. I need to re-read the manual and really run it through its paces this year and take advantage of all it has to offer. The anchor lock should be nice for vertical jigging.
    Have had mine for 2 years and love it. Only thing I do not like is the remote, it catches on reels and other stuff sometimes when bending over, eventually it broke the tab off where the key ring goes through so I had to drill a hole to put the ring through. You are going to love the programs for lazy S/Z and other turns you can use via your fish finder, if you have a Lowrance unit anyway.

My best upgrade this year was a new prop, went from a 15 to 17 pitch and picked up 3-4 mph on my top speed.

Quote Originally Posted by WYCOangler View Post
    Similarly, I put on a Minn Kota Terrova with I-pilot this spring. Best thing I ever did. Can now troll in a strong breeze with no stress at all. Didn't think there was a way to make fishing for kokanee more fun, but this does. Quiet, No exhaust, and the GPS autopilot is like having a designated driver who is always paying attention. I love it.
    Old ('79) Chrysler tri-hull with Minn Kota bow mount and Penn manual downriggers.

Quote Originally Posted by KokaneeJoe View Post
    Similarly, I put on a Minn Kota Terrova with I-pilot this spring. Best thing I ever did. Can now troll in a strong breeze with no stress at all. Didn't think there was a way to make fishing for kokanee more fun, but this does. Quiet, No exhaust, and the GPS autopilot is like having a designated driver who is always paying attention. I love it.
    We troll using the 4-stroke kicker for forward motion and the bow mount for steering, always a plus when you can digitally set a speed and stay there. And of course the anchor feature for jigging is priceless when it keeps you within 5 feet of your original spot.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgehunter View Post
    We troll using the 4-stroke kicker for forward motion and the bow mount for steering, always a plus when you can digitally set a speed and stay there.
    A lot of guys do that, personally, I prefer the peace and quiet of all electric. I can fish all day on it and recharge overnight. Kicker generally gets reserved for days that there is a stiff breeze.