Thread: Last trip of the 2017 season for me

Default Last trip of the 2017 season for me

So, my last trip to the Gorge for the summer is in the books. Numbers were hard to come by but we made up for it in quality and weight on the last day.

The old one fish hits 2 lures trick:

I played fishing guide for my daughter's boyfriend and his best friend. I figured beginners luck and being Koke virgins was bound to be a good sign for the day.

One of my home made spinners was the most consistent lure for the trip. It was a gold and silver spinner. The most popular depth for fish that would bite was 80'. There were a few higher and a few lower but 80 was the number.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

good looking Kokanees and thanks for the report.
    I can't tell where you were at, if you don't want to post, PM me.
    I have not fished FG sense I saw you last around the 24th
    I'm going up Tue and Wed. taking a guy, we have been trying to get together with for over a year. he does not know a lot about fishing for Kokes
    I was thinking about going to Breeze Hill. to start. and if the wind does not come up go after big lakers in the afternoon.
    Robert

Robert,
    It has been very slow everywhere up there lately. I fished close, Rawlins, Pipeline and the canyon.

nice fish....how deep were you trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus60 View Post
    nice fish....how deep were you trolling.
    Read bottom line in the post. 80' was most productive depth.

You did much better than we did, maybe we weren't deep enough though, only managed 2 kokes and 9 macs over 2 days. I was so frustrated I almost considering selling the boat!! Time to switch gears though and start chasing some elk.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgehunter View Post
    You did much better than we did, maybe we weren't deep enough though, only managed 2 kokes and 9 macs over 2 days. I was so frustrated I almost considering selling the boat!! Time to switch gears though and start chasing some elk.
    we had 6 kokes by 7:30 here is the temp down 80' this is where you need to be.
    some notes
    from fish hawk
    Species: Kokanee
    Probe Depth: 81.0 F
    Probe Speed: 0.9 MPH
    Probe Temp: 51.4 °F
    Time: 7:17 AM 8/22/2017

Notes: surface temperature 68.2 fish finder says 67.9 GPS one point 3 GPS 1.3 miles an hour we have caught 5 kokanee. bigest one 24 inches

-----------------------------------------------------------
    got 3 big lake trout the same day moved to where they were at bigest was 35 lbs
    notes from fish hawk
    Species: Lake Trout
    Probe Depth: 80.0 F
    Probe Speed: 2.3 MPH
    Probe Temp: 52.1 °F
    Time: 10:33 AM 8/22/2017
    Lat: 40.97 Long: -109.60
    Notes: surface temperature 68.8 downrigger counter is at 90 ft so we have a 10ft blow back on our ball or ball shows 80 feet on the Fish Hawk fishing on the bottom.

Hey Dave,
    Cindy and I got back from the Gorge a couple of weeks ago. We were at Buckboard for 2 weeks. The average size we could box were 3 1/2 lb, none in the 4 Lb range like 2 years ago. Started slow for us and gradually picked up as the weeks went on. Lot of color in the water when we were there, don't ever recall that. This was the first time we have been there at this time of year. Looks like a few of yours were close to that 4 lb range. Looking at your pictures, looks like you were fishing off of Haystack Buttes out of Buckboard. We drove thru Provo coming home and thought about you, that's where you moved to if I recall? Good to see your post. Next year we are planning on at least 2 trips there, probably about 8 to 10 days at the end of June and end of July. Would be great to get together with you and wife again there if possible.

Pat

Pat,
    We would have loved to have seen you guys this trip. We are actually up north of Salt Lake on in the Ogden area.
    Dave

We are always there the end of June for my birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    We are always there the end of June for my birthday.
    Do you camp at Gorge for your Birthday? We stay at Buckboard and I like to reserve 6 months in advance. We would love to meet with you while we are at Gorge.