Thread: leadcore trolling setup

Default leadcore trolling setup

I am new to trolling and will be giving it a shot in my kayak for some exercise and time away from the real world. 1.5 to 2 mph is quite leisurely in my kayak, on a calm day.

I have a penn 109 reel on the way. I am from central california so the most likely use would be chasing trout and kokanee in the local reservoirs. I am planning on using 7 colors of 12 lb suffix advanced or 8 of the 15lb tufline microlead and 75 to 100 yards of braided line for backing and a 30' leader of mono. I used an estimator to get those numbers. I want those because of the smaller capacity of the reel. It will be my only leadcore set up so I wanted as many colors as practical. I'm leaning towards the tufline microlead on the off chance that I use it for salmon or stripers. tufline lists the actual breaking strength of their product in the high 40 lb range and rapala confirmed that their "70% stronger" puts their 12 lb line at about 20.

I am looking for comments on my overall set up plan and comparisons of the microlead and suffix advanced from people who've used both.

Thanks.

Sorry I can't offer advice on the lead core but I also chase kokes with a kayak. I've been using a Scotty mini downrigger with pretty fair success. The cost was around $60 plus the ball and it allows me to get to the schools with great accuracy the same as any other downrigger. Just thought I'd share another option.

I've had great success with the tuffline microlead before so I don't think that you will be disappointed in that line. I have never tried the suffix leadcore but have used a few of their other flouro lines and wasn't very happy with them. Hope that helps a little bit.
    2016 Lund 1775 Crossover XS aka the "Play N Hooky"