Thread: Water temp monitor gear

Default Water temp monitor gear

A search of the KFF site doesn't show much in this area. So I'll start a discussion on it myself. Water temps are key to successful catch rates and vary by species. Salmon have a specific temperature range in which they are more likely to be biting. The only way to know you are in that zone is with a temperature monitoring system of some sort. And my research shows several systems that can run well over $1,000 to buy. So I'd like to hear from folks that already have a system in place on their boat and what are your thoughts.

It appears that the two most popular systems are either the Fish Hawk or the Smart Troll. Smart troll offers a system that can be used with up to 6 different probes while Fish Hawk uses only 1 probe. A smart troll system with 6 probes has an MSRP of about $2,300 (OUCH!) while the Fish Hawk with one probe is $850 MSRP. And yes, both can be found for less on Amazon/eBay. And there is a Fish Hawk system that attaches to the DR weight, lowered and retrieved, and gives you temps every 5 feet. That unit can be found for $150 or less.

If you are using either of these systems, I'd really like to hear your thoughts on their use and how satisfied are you that they were/are worth the investment.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

I have both

Hawk with one probe is $850 MSRP. And yes, both can be found for less on Amazon/eBay. And there is a Fish Hawk system that attaches to the DR weight, lowered and retrieved, and gives you temps every 5 feet. That unit can be found for $150 or less.

once you get use to using the FISH HAWK X4D WITH BLUETOOTH SMART WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY it is hard to fish with out it
    Most people say that Kokanee like temp. at 52 and 54 deg. so that gives you a starting point to put your downrigger ball (it also shows how deep the ball is)
    this year at strawberry (this time of year) we have got a lot of Kokanee at 50 deg.water temp. that is about 7 ft deeper than the 52 deg water temp.

thanks robert i think i'm going to try the 150 dollar fish hawk this year to see if it will improve my catch rate

Default Dubob

I have purchased the Fish Hawk about 3 years ago. If you believe in water temp to harvest fish then that the tool for you. You drop it down in the water column and it gives you a water temp every 5 ft. A good example you here other fisherman talk,I graphedfish all day threw everything in the box couldn't get them to bite. These are non biters, you want that 48/54 degree water. There maybe not as many fish in this zone,but these are the biters. Thus fish hawk told you these biters were at 70/80 ft. Not at 45/50.ft. worked for me numerous times, help you find that thermocline. I target numerous species Salmon in the ocean etc it has helped me alotbut some folks don't believe in water temp.

thanks mike i'm going to try it

Default Fishhawk

I bought the Fish Hawk ($150 model) late last year but never got to use it. A buddy did try it out on Flaming Gorge and reported it worked fine and gave him the temps at 5 foot intervals all the way down to 90 feet. I'm looking forward to trying it on the Gorge, Strawberry, Starvation, and Jordanelle this year. I'm putting my new Cannon downriggers on the boat this week and generally getting it prepped for this season. Hope to get it in the water next week and try the Fish Hawk at Jordanelle. Life is good!

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

so I understand, with the $150 model do you drop the probe down on your downrigger, bring it back up and then scan through the display to see the temperature at 5' increments?

Quote Originally Posted by dubob View Post
    I bought the Fish Hawk ($150 model) late last year but never got to use it. A buddy did try it out on Flaming Gorge and reported it worked fine and gave him the temps at 5 foot intervals all the way down to 90 feet. I'm looking forward to trying it on the Gorge, Strawberry, Starvation, and Jordanelle this year. I'm putting my new Cannon downriggers on the boat this week and generally getting it prepped for this season. Hope to get it in the water next week and try the Fish Hawk at Jordanelle. Life is good!
    your goning to love those new down riggers please let us know how the fishing is at the nelle .it looks like jarod was catching kokes near the dam

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDaveMT View Post
    so I understand, with the $150 model do you drop the probe down on your downrigger, bring it back up and then scan through the display to see the temperature at 5' increments?
    Zactly! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Default current product updates

--are you still using the fishawk for temp,are there other options available now?

I still use the FishHawk. Works very well and I see no need to look for a replacement. I recommend it to friends that don't monitor water temps.

Default Fish Hawk water temp

I've owned a fsh hawk temp gauge for probably five years have used it alot accurate great product. I attach it to a fishing pole drop it. The FH reads WATER TEMP every five feet. Quite the tool. How many times you heard graphed fish all day couldn't get them to bite. Wasn't in there feeding zone temp. There might be less fsh in that special temp zone but they will be biters. Hope this helps little spendy but well worth the money and all you need.

Default batter

--I guess that answered my other concern as well...life of the battery if you've used it for 5 years. Thanks.

Default Koch "Fish Finder"

I have been using this for years. I think it works fine to 100'. It was less than $50 but I cannot find listings for it anywhere.