Thread: Hook discussion

Default Hook discussion

I am new to this site so I apologize in advance if this is a tired theme. Years ago my Dad was tired of loosing fish and started using English hooks, which really helped reduce the loss of fish before the net. Obviously, it did not catch on commercially, though the two-hook set-up seems to be popular; I never found it actually improved my catch. I am curious if anyone else has utilized English hooks. Admittedly, I am old school and still use wedding rings as opposed to squid...just never had much luck with the new stuff.

I prefer a single hook and typically redo any double hook rigs I purchase by snelling on a Mustad beak hook. Size 2 I believe as I am still big box purchased a good while ago. I fish the Gorge and Strawberry and have not noted increased fish loss with the single hooks, and in fact believe that the loss is less on larger fish as the heavier gauge wire tends to tear less. Also, doesn't seem to be any less hook ups as judged by rod bounces or false releases. They are certainly easier to remove from fish (and net), especially if release is your intent. Also, it is much easier to avoid damage to the line and knots with these hooks when removing them.

Overall, simplifies the whole operation for me without any detriment. Your milage may vary especially for smaller fish.
    Last edited by smokepoles; 07-07-2017 at 03:32 PM.

I've gone to a snelled double hook rig using a size 2 drop shot hook above a size 4 drop shot hook. I find most of the fish bite the #2, and often times the #4 swings around and hooks them in the side of the face. I think the thinner wire of the drop shot hook doesn't tear as big a hole, and the second hook penetrates easier. My hook to land ratio this year has been really good probably better than 80% for the year and 20 of the last 22 hooked. It may be that the fishing gods are just screwing with me and I may loose 20 of the next 25, but I'm sticking with the drop shot hooks until then. I use a rubber basket in my net so tangles there aren't much of an issue and I keep pretty much everything that goes in the net since the mortality on released kokanees is very high - even if you keep them in the water and don't touch them, the stress of fight in the warm surface water leads to the death of most released kokanee in the summer months.

Matzuo Sickle Hooks for me. I like the shank length for tying with clumsy fingers. I'm also switch to #2 hooks for easier fish release.

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Matzuo Sickle Hooks for me. I like the shank length for tying with clumsy fingers. I'm also switch to #2 hooks for easier fish release.

I have to agree about the sickle hook, I've pretty much switched all my single hook set-ups to them, I offset any that are straight in line from manufacturer. I find them to be awesome for herring set-ups using octopus sickles.Bob R

I can third the Matzou sickle hooks. I tie my own double hook leaders using #4`'s
    Works well for me.

Can someone please tell me why my sometimes my pics rotate? Maybe how to fix?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by calkoke; 07-14-2017 at 01:02 AM.

Pictures taken on a phone camera will almost always show rotated. Either hosting the picture first or editing it to reverse rotation is the only ways I've seen to fix.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDaveMT View Post
    I've gone to a snelled double hook rig using a size 2 drop shot hook above a size 4 drop shot hook. I find most of the fish bite the #2, and often times the #4 swings around and hooks them in the side of the face. I think the thinner wire of the drop shot hook doesn't tear as big a hole, and the second hook penetrates easier. My hook to land ratio this year has been really good probably better than 80% for the year and 20 of the last 22 hooked. It may be that the fishing gods are just screwing with me and I may loose 20 of the next 25, but I'm sticking with the drop shot hooks until then. I use a rubber basket in my net so tangles there aren't much of an issue and I keep pretty much everything that goes in the net since the mortality on released kokanees is very high - even if you keep them in the water and don't touch them, the stress of fight in the warm surface water leads to the death of most released kokanee in the summer months.
    Have you ever used the Mustad Double Wide Dropshot Hook? I was wondering if it works as well as the Gamakatsu Split Shot/Drop Shot Hooks; or better perhaps.
    Old ('79) Chrysler tri-hull with Minn Kota bow mount and Penn manual downriggers.

I've used both the Gamakatsus and the Mustad double wides with good success. I haven't compared the two to see if one works better than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDaveMT View Post
    I've used both the Gamakatsus and the Mustad double wides with good success. I haven't compared the two to see if one works better than the other.
    Thanks. It's time to tie up some new leaders and my catch ratio is low so I thought I'd ask.
    Old ('79) Chrysler tri-hull with Minn Kota bow mount and Penn manual downriggers.

Default Treble hook stingers?

Anyone tried treble stingers?

Default Treble stingers

Yea had a mate use them at Wickiup they sure worked BUT,a big BUT he managed to put a stinger in his finger not once but twice there dangerous,they really work