Thread: Skunked 6/30

Default Skunked 6/30

Hit the water about 7:30 on Friday, started between Lowe canyon and squaw hollow and trolled North to breeze hill. Then trolled across and South to skunk cliffs and back to squaw hollow. I didn't have a single bite all day! I switched gear up a lot more than usual trying to gain some interest but no luck. I didn't mark hardly any fish and the couple I did see were in 50-60ft water. I've heard the fishing has been better near the pipeline/rawlins draw. This has been one of the tuffer seasons I've had in a long time. Just can't seem to find the fish, does all the extra water have them scattered in unfamiliar places or am I just getting really unlucky? Hope other people are having better luck.

Mike
    The Experiment Requires That You Continue!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Hit the water about 7:30 on Friday, started between Lowe canyon and squaw hollow and trolled North to breeze hill. Then trolled across and South to skunk cliffs and back to squaw hollow. I didn't have a single bite all day! I switched gear up a lot more than usual trying to gain some interest but no luck. I didn't mark hardly any fish and the couple I did see were in 50-60ft water. I've heard the fishing has been better near the pipeline/rawlins draw. This has been one of the tuffer seasons I've had in a long time. Just can't seem to find the fish, does all the extra water have them scattered in unfamiliar places or am I just getting really unlucky? Hope other people are having better luck.

Mike
    Yikes, sounds like an anomaly, most are reporting good fishing. But I do feel the higher water is messing with fish habits a little, although not enough to not get a single bite. A week prior we got our limits around the same depth but were mostly between Rawlings and pipeline.

The upside is you live close enough to go back and seek revenge on those little skunks!

I'll be headed out in the morning to give it another go. Think I'll head south to rawlins and work my way to the pipeline! Hopefully I'll have a more productive report to offer!

I'll be headed out in the morning to give it another go. Think I'll head south to rawlins and work my way to the pipeline! Hopefully I'll have a more productive report to offer!
    Our best approach was to stay about 100 yards out from the crowd at Rawlings.

Thanks gorgehunter I'll give it a shot!

Thanks gorgehunter I'll give it a shot!
    Was there over the 4th and launched from Lucerne. The crowds at Rawlins from what I saw were all catching juveniles. I stayed away from the crowds and fished from Rawlins up to the cliffs above the pipeline and caught larger fish.

Default Gorge

We stayed near anvil draw 6/27 was windy by the time we got there so didn't even launch the boat, was on the water by 05:30 Wednesday, fished across from anvil point then down towards the pipeline, picked up a couple nice kokes and a couple smaller ones all were shaped like footballs,definitely eating well, and a few laker pups, went near the stateline and re rigged for lakers caught a couple around 22 inch then wife hooked into a 30 inch laker, 20 minutes later and a few pictures sent it back to grow more, Saturday my son and his friend came up, so we hit the water at 05:00 started by the pipeline didn't get a hit for the first 1 1/2 hours then by the time we trolled to the state line we had their limits of all nice kokes and a 24 inch pup, slept in Sunday and then went for a cruise to the dam fished a little in horshoe on the way back, with no success, had a wild ride back after we left the canyon as rough as I've ever been in on the gorge, Monday the 3rd was our last day to fish, so we picked up our last couple kokes they were bigger near the state line, once we got them on ice we went to Linwood bay to try the lakers again tried a few things, with no luck, finally had a taker and 25 minutes later had a 37 inch laker in the net, took some video and pictures then sent her back down, by the time we had the boat loaded the wind was back, we headed home early on the 4th.was a great trip! Can't wait to get back, one bit of information, if you go to get a reciprocal stamp and you are not in the computer, you must have the last four of your social security number, we didn't have it for my 14 y.o we were only able to keep 6 kokes didn't mean to write a novel..... good luck!!!
    [SIGPIC]

Fished on the 4th and out was amazing, fished near the pipeline and had 3 limits by 10 pink apex and squid at 60ft were awesome! Buddy's kiddo fished with since his dad had to work , he caught a bruiser!

What speed do you guys troll at the Gorge for kokanee??

Default Trolling speed

MOST fishing boats with kickers are trolling in the 1.5 to 1.7 mph slot at the Gorge when fishing for kokanee. I do notice some of the bigger pleasure boats without kickers trolling faster but they seem to catch fish anyway. I believe the trolling speed has more to do with imparting the correct action to the tackle being used; i.e., dodger/squid. Troll faster and the dodgers tend to spin rather than wobble. On the Great Lakes where they use boats up to 40 ft long and use 10" or bigger dodgers, they troll as fast as 3.5 mph and do very well. The big dodgers will handle faster speeds without spinning. The fish, regardless of species, will have no problem catching your lure at any speed you troll at.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Nothing is written in stone when it come to trolling speed. Some days my speed might be the same all day,and then their are days that the speed will vary.I usually start at 1.6 then adjust accordly. If I'm graphing fish,but not get any strikes,i might change my speed.If going to go slower i usually will go with a little longer leader between dodger and squid or lure. If going to go faster i will change my dodger,to one with a different profile. I have my RMT dodgers set to roll at 1.8.so if i want to go faster then that I will use a different type of dodger such as a gold star or a mamba type of dodger. Changing speed it just one of many things that we can do to help catch more fish.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"