Thread: Recommend a rod for trolling trout, salmon and walleye

Default Recommend a rod for trolling trout, salmon and walleye

I have a Cannon Mini-Troll downrigger I'd like to try out this year.

Any recs on a good rod for trouts and walleyes to use with it?

Most fish will be 10-15 inches and I will be trolling small spoons and minnow cranks.

Thanks

i've had no problem with using my velocity blue rods for all those fish , but i did pick up a salmon extreme this year to try.
    Last edited by mtncat1; 05-31-2017 at 05:53 PM.

We have the classic glass rods by Lamiglass, not too expensive, nice rods. Bob R

Best budget rods I have found are the Whuppin Stick at Cabela's in ML weight http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...ref=prd1311143 I have 4 of them because they are very kid-proof and have been happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgehunter View Post
    Best budget rods I have found are the Whuppin Stick at Cabela's in ML weight http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...ref=prd1311143 I have 4 of them because they are very kid-proof and have been happy with them.
    They used to also have them in 8' and I bought 2 for Wiper and Walleye fishing. I've looked for them again ever since and can't find them anymore. Very sad. That is a Hell of a price on them right now.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    They used to also have them in 8' and I bought 2 for Wiper and Walleye fishing. I've looked for them again ever since and can't find them anymore. Very sad. That is a Hell of a price on them right now.
    I bought all of mine on sale, you really can't find a better rod for the money, my "koke in the boat" rate nearly doubled when I picked them up. I think you may have posted about the 8 footers in that thread a few months back on BFT, it's really a shame they stopped selling them because those had an even lighter blank. Eventually I will buy some "real" koke rods, but still recovering from new electronics and a new boat in the past year.
    Last edited by gorgehunter; 06-02-2017 at 09:49 AM.

So I can use the whuppin stick rod with a downrigger?

Quote Originally Posted by smokysteelhead View Post
    Yup, you can use pretty much any rod with a downrigger setup.

I have a Vance's spiral wrapped rod that I really like - light enough to enjoy kokes, but enough backbone to reel in a 5 pound + walleye or trout. I like the spiral wrapped guides, but it's not for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDaveMT View Post
    I have a Vance's spiral wrapped rod that I really like - light enough to enjoy kokes, but enough backbone to reel in a 5 pound + walleye or trout. I like the spiral wrapped guides, but it's not for everybody.
    I also have a couple of Vance's spiral wrapped in the 7' version that I have been very happy with. They have proved versatile for downrigger fishing for kokes, trout, and even lakers (at least up to 15 lbs) They also serves well trolling for wipers and walleyes.

Quote Originally Posted by smokysteelhead View Post
    you can use any rod you want, but a soft rod with not much backbone and 7' or longer will work best with downriggers. these rods allow you to load the rod so you can see the bite and get a better hook set out of the clip. plus a nice soft rod will help you land more kokanee .

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mtncat1 View Post
    you can use any rod you want, but a soft rod with not much backbone and 7' or longer will work best with downriggers. these rods allow you to load the rod so you can see the bite and get a better hook set out of the clip. plus a nice soft rod will help you land more kokanee .
    I second this statement, I would recommend a glass rod....like 7.5' Lamiglas (around 80 bucks) or the new (old school) Eagle Claw Featherlight Kokanee Casting Rods...they're like 30 bucks.

I found a Berkley trout dough series rod 8' in length ultra light at Walmart for $35. I use 2 of them and have had no problems so far.