Thread: Beginner boater lol

Hybrid View

Default Beginner boater lol

Just got my first boat its a 15' aluminum hull with a 1957 johnson sea horse 35 hp and i got a mercury 5 hp for trolling. I got a cannon easi troll down rigger that was givin to me it didn't have a base lol so pretty much a beginner at fishing from a boat my question is is it mandatory to have a fish finder? Also me and my friend have been trying to catch big lakers and carp lol pretty much just want to catch big fish! If i do need a fish finder does anyone have a old one laying around i could buy as well as a base for the cannon easi troll. Also any tips for using a down rigger are appreciated
    Thanks and happy to be a part of this fourm!

Default Congrats.

Hey congratulations on your first boat, My fist one was a used 12 ft King Fisher with a Sears 10hp manual start. Good old boat. Caught a lot big trout up at Lake John, CO. back in the day. You know what they say, the two happiest days of owning a boat, is the day you buy it, and the day you sell it.
    Good luck and be safe. Remember everyone with a PFD, and on all the time.
    CH
    God does not subtract one minute of life for the hours spent fishing.

Default Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Awb019 View Post
    Just got my first boat its a 15' aluminum hull with a 1957 johnson sea horse 35 hp and i got a mercury 5 hp for trolling. I got a cannon easi troll down rigger that was givin to me it didn't have a base lol so pretty much a beginner at fishing from a boat my question is is it mandatory to have a fish finder? Also me and my friend have been trying to catch big lakers and carp lol pretty much just want to catch big fish! If i do need a fish finder does anyone have a old one laying around i could buy as well as a base for the cannon easi troll. Also any tips for using a down rigger are appreciated
    Thanks and happy to be a part of this fourm!
    Without a sonar, you are fishing blind. Good used sonars can be had on eBay as well as on KSL Classifieds. You can also find the base there as well.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

You will be amazed how after you use a fish finder for a while, you will wonder how you ever fished without one!

I happen to have a very nice Lowrance HDS 5 Gen 2 sitting in my garage This is a pretty good unit, with powerful sonar, color screen and full GPS/chartplotter navigation. $300

If you are interested, send me a pm.....

Thanks for the replies those are outta my price range lol

Default Sonar

When using a downrigger you pretty much have to know how deep the bottom is or you will loose a lot of weights and gear, I use the sonar to know the actual depth the weight are running at, it changes with forward speed, and it's nice to know there are fish in the area you are in, a lot of bear lake has no structure,
    [SIGPIC]

Im out of rock springs Wyoming so ill mostly be out near little fire hole wanted to take out the boat this weekend but i havnt got the ais sticker yet