Thread: Gorge this weekend

Default Gorge this weekend

Planning to hit the gorge this Friday and Saturday ( probably sleep in the boat or truck one night ) was just wondering if others on here were going to be up there, always nice to compare notes on what the fish are taking, I run on channel 16, I also usually monitor channel 69 on the Marine radio, give us a shout, I have no problem telling what is or isn't working for me. Will probably launch at anvil, but that could change depending on recent reports. Good luck!
    [SIGPIC]

good luck and be careful it's still pretty cold up there .

Looks like perfect timing, we are finally going to get some nice weather!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
    Looks like perfect timing, we are finally going to get some nice weather!
    Good luck hope you don't get run over, I just came home from 3 days at the Gorge there was a lot of boats Friday be a lot more Sat
    Koke fishing is good. you see a lot of lakers on the fish finder downriggers down 20 to 40 ft the bigger ones are at 30 and 35'
    so if you use have 4 lines out start out with 20 30 35 and 40' down

Default Gorge

Liketrolling you were re correct about the number of boats! We launched at Lucerne, and made a couple passes around the swim beach area, really did not graph very many fish, wasn't able get any lakers interested so we headed up lake, we ended up near the ranch, caught a few kokes nice size but not the flaming gorge size we usually get, but they really we're in the fighting mood and fun to catch, didn't keep any as we were staying overnight in the boat, we also caught dozens of laker pups in the same area most at around 65 feet on just a small white spoon, as evening came we went up lake and found a small cove and anchored for the night, was back at the ranch as it was getting light with plans to get our kokanee limits and head back down to try for a large laker, but the kokes had different plans, we fished until almost noon and ended up with 5 nice kokes but not as big as the usual gorg kokes and we kept two 20 inch laker pups, we probably caught 60 or more lakers nothing over 24 but had ahold of a couple that felt a lot bigger, ( my fish story ) the wind stated to come up so we headed back to Lucerne wind really picked up by the time we got there, the Wyoming game and fish were checking for reciprocal stamps and life jackets so be prepared for that, if you go, oh yea I tried out a shuttle hawk for the first time, I had wondered if the worked as advertised, well mine sure did for the three times it stayed on the wire on the forth trip it came back to the surface and I missed grabbing it and just kind of strummed the downrigger cable and it flipped off, I had only purchased one because I wanted to know if it really worked, im going to order two more and figure out a better way t secure it to the cable good luck to all!
    [SIGPIC]

I use a rubber band like he shows here on the shuttle hawk, a few years ago on you tube a guy had a better way but I cant find that video now. I think he drilled a hole in the shuttle and used a BARREL SWIVEL WITH INTERLOCK SNAP are a DUO-LOCK SNAP over the down rigger cable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4DoOpcp8uw
    I don't like the release that comes with it I put another release on

I don't use the shattle hawk a lot any more because I have 4 downriggers but I used to use them so much that the downrigger cable would wear the plastic tab off, so I started gluing a piece of light tin to reinforce the tab

just found this
    http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...rmanent-repair
    Last edited by liketrolling; 05-07-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Default Shuttle hawk

I also have four downriggers but I don't like using the forward mounted one on the kicker motor side, it make me nervous when its windy an pushing my boat sideways the cable and line gets pretty close to the prop, I like using that mounting location for the side planer mast, that's why I wanted to try the shuttle hawk, mine did not have a rubber band, I ordered a pair today and will be modifying them as well, I didn't like the release that came with it either, I put a mini Scotty release on it, worked great for the short time I used it :) I'm will remember to use your trick to keep the line from cutting into the plastic, thanks for the good ideas!
    [SIGPIC]

one other thing I never use the stop that they give you
    two things I do to stop the Shuttle hawk where I want it, watch it go down on you fishfinder, are use a line counter reel, lock the reel and it will hold right their with a good bent in your rod

with 3 people in the boat you can have 6 lines down 4 maybe 40' for kokanee and two down maybe 80' for lake trout. if you get good at this you don't get your lines tangled.

Default Shuttle hawk

I use line counter reels, when you are running that many lines do you try to keep the same setback and depths to avoid tangles it try to stagger them all? BTW liketrolling you are a great wealth of knowledge, thanks for helping us less experienced guys...
    [SIGPIC]