Thread: Time to upgrade: kokanee reels

Default Time to upgrade: kokanee reels

Finally picked up a little better boat so it is time to upgrade my koke rods and reels. In my mind, and please correct me if I am wrong, I would like a small level wind reel with line counter and a "clicker button." I'm sure I am butchering my description, but hopefully what I am asking for makes sense. I have used Jared Johnson's Velocity reels in a buddy's boat and really liked them but would basically like that reel with a line counter. I really like the small size of those reels. Please let me know if I am up in the night or if you have something better to recommend for me. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverslinger View Post
    Finally picked up a little better boat so it is time to upgrade my koke rods and reels. In my mind, and please correct me if I am wrong, I would like a small level wind reel with line counter and a "clicker button." I'm sure I am butchering my description, but hopefully what I am asking for makes sense. I have used Jared Johnson's Velocity reels in a buddy's boat and really liked them but would basically like that reel with a line counter. I really like the small size of those reels. Please let me know if I am up in the night or if you have something better to recommend for me. Thanks!
    Up grade I just buy what you can afford. My comment line counter

I use the velocity green rods with daiwa 17lc's . I like the diawa's better then when I was using the okama's. I think the line counter is more accurate on the diawa's. The velocity rods are a prefect rod for fighting big kokes. Last year i hooked in to a 22lb carp on the gorge,the rod and reel handled the fish with no problems. . I don't you can go wrong with using any of the velocity rods.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Thank you for the replies! I really appreciate the help!

I just switched to the Okuma Cold Water Low Profile reels on my kok set ups and they have been great so far!

I have line counters on 4 Okumas, most of the time I don't pay attention to their use. Old school was you learned not use to them because they were nonexistent when I was growing up. I have 2 Ticas and 3 Velocity reels with no line counters and do just fine with my instincts I grew with which I don't have to rely on them. I do like my green Velocity rods too, they have handle everything so far that's made them bow including a couple of snags.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

One thing to keep in mind with line counters (mechanical) is that they are generally more accurate when the spool is at full capacity. If your reel isn't full, the line counter is going to overstate how much line is out. As line goes out, the same holds true (only a big deal if you have a lot of line out). Pull off 20 feet per the counter and measure it with a tape measure to see what you are actually putting out.

Mechanical line counters count revolutions and convert that into distance. I just looked at an Okuma reel and guestimated the diameter of the empty spool to be about 1 inch and the diameter of the full spool to be about 1.5 inches. Since the circumference of the spool is pi * diameter, a line wrap on a near empty spool is about 3.1 inches while the line wrap on a near full school is about 4.7 inches. That may not seem like much difference but 100 wraps at near empty is about 26 feet of line and 100 wraps at near full is about 39 feet of line. A line counter reel is going to count both as the same distance because the revolutions are equal. So as SuperDaveMT pointed out, you need to experiment to determine how full or empty a line counter reel gives its more accurate reading.

When jigging kokanee schools in the late summer where I fish, the fish are almost always at 80 ft, +/- 3 to 5 feet. We created a conversion chart showing line counter distance versus distance in the water. It worked but was cumbersome, and guests frequently forgot to make the conversion, so they fished well above or below the school. Eventually I switched to lighter weight spinning reels, pulled out 80 feet of leader and braided line, cut the 10# braid, tied in a foot of high visibility yellow braid, and put the yellow HiVis at the water to fish 80 feet deep. It easy to go up or down 5 feet and I can feel the knots on the rod eyes, so I don't even have to watch as the lure drops. I also use the same reels on faster rods for downrigger trolling and use the 80 ft marker to judge drop, etc. I have never had one of these knots break and use the same braid (but replace the leader regularly) for several years and hundreds of fish. I understand the advantages of a clicker on a bait caster for DR trolling but I like super light equipment for 20 inch kokes. We all like different things; experiment until you find what works best for you.

Good Luck

These are the smallest, lightest body linecounters that I have found to date.

https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-Accudep...a+line+counter

IMO, linecounters (for trolling) only really help by letting you know how much farther the fish is out before you have to yell at the netter.
    Last edited by SuperD; 04-26-2017 at 01:59 PM.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Default Thank you!

Wow! Again, thank you everyone for taking the time to offer your detailed replies! This has been a ton of help! I will get the new set ups bought and will return the favor helping out the next guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverslingeer View Post
    Wow! Again, thank you everyone for taking the time to offer your detailed replies! This has been a ton of help! I will get the new set ups bought and will return the favor helping out the next guy!
    I'll be switching to a Okuma Cold Water Low Profile reel soon. I think it's a good decision.
    Last edited by HankCole; 10-27-2021 at 02:00 PM.