Thread: prediv=ctions for the season

Default prediv=ctions for the season

So, where are we at on the cyclic koke cycle? A couple-three years ago there was sort of a double blip highs, and that seemed to predict well the outstanding fishing we experienced.

I predict the lake will look like coffee for prime time May / June fishing. It is already off color but the fishing was great. There is so much snow that hasn't even begun to melt yet. Fontenelle reservior which feeds the Gorge was muddy from end to end last Saturday. They are releasing huge amounts of water from fontenelle to make room for the runoff. There is still 160% of normal snowpack in the mountains in the upper green valley. When it gets going, it could be ugly. Hope for a cool, dry spring !!

Good thoughts, JL.

I've had some good June fishing there for sure, but seems we've only been able to work in July/August trips the last couple years. This year planning June 19-22 from Lucerne. Does the coffee stay thick all the way down there, or thinned/settled by then? Also, it is fairly late in June, so expect major run off will be finished.

Tight lines.

I'll be there (Lucerne campground) from June 5 thru June 11. Slipped it two weeks later than last year and hoping for better weather conditions this year. And also hoping for a better bite than last year which didn't produce a 4-person limit (12 kokanee) after 5 days on the water from Sheep Creek all the way to 3 miles north of Buckboard. I think we also got 5 pup Macs total last year. Also, we'll be fishing out of my brand new ThunderJet 185 Explorer.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlaker View Post
    I predict the lake will look like coffee for prime time May / June fishing. It is already off color but the fishing was great. There is so much snow that hasn't even begun to melt yet. Fontenelle reservior which feeds the Gorge was muddy from end to end last Saturday. They are releasing huge amounts of water from fontenelle to make room for the runoff. There is still 160% of normal snowpack in the mountains in the upper green valley. When it gets going, it could be ugly. Hope for a cool, dry spring !!
    The snowpack above Fontenelle is now 183% of average, and will likely exceed 200% by the end of the next week of cold, wet weather in the forecast. I am by no means an expert KOK angler, but have found stained water to be good for Kokes.

How dirty was Fontenelle near the dam, was it fishable?

Dorado, it was dirty.. around 1 foot visibility... the whole lake was that way. There was a slight mud line in the water, but it was a temperature thing. It went from 39 to 41 ish. The break was from this sucks to this really sucks let's go home !!! They are letting a lot of water out, over 5000 cfs, to make room, but the water going in to Fontenelle will be chocolate milk for months. The Gorge fished really well on Saturday. We trolled for rainbows and lakers and had no problem finding or catching fish. Even caught a nice Kokanee on a Berkeley flicker shad. Caught some cutthroats as well. I think they are Boneville cuts ???

Default Coffee in the mornin

Just readin through this thread and lookin through the past years threads for early June tryin to get a handle on what might work for a trip the first week of June. Just hit the buy button for June 2 thru June 5 at Buckboard Crossing. My great niece graduates high school this year (been Honor Roll all year) and she really wants to go fishin with her uncle Rusty! I really wanted to hook her up with a day with Bonser for some Mack jigging but couldn't find him when lookin a couple months ago. I've been privileged enough to fish with Ashley a few times and getting on a nice Mack while jigging in deep water is the kind of thrill I really want to introduce this young lady to. I'm "fairly" confident we can get into Kokes (shoot, it's June @ da Gorge) but wonder about jigging deep for the big Macks. I'm geared up for that but will the runoff discoloration have an effect on visibility that deep? Jiggin big tubes. Some are white. Might even try big swimbaits 15 or so feet behind a ball right near the bottom but this is something I've never tried. Any ideas ya all can share would be well appreciated! Keep it safe out there all and have a great summer!