Thread: Gel coat repair?

Default Gel coat repair?

This is probably better suited for the boat and trailer forum, but I thought I might get more traffic here. I had a run in with my buddies Thunderjet anchor roller at the end off last season. It blew about a 2"x2" chunk of gel coat off the side of my boat. It took it right down to the fiberglass. The fiberglass seems intact its not soft or damaged. It also spidered the gel coat in about a 6" radius of the impact. Does anybody have a good gel coat guy? I made my best attempt at a repair but it looks pretty gnarly. I don't think backboard messes much with gel coat. I'm willing to travel to Utah if anybody knows of a good shop.

Thanks
    Mike
    The Experiment Requires That You Continue!

I know that there are some in the Ogden/Salt Lake area as when I was Googling for repair on my aluminum boat, all the hits were places that did fiberglass boat body work and repair. A lot of RV's are now fiberglass and gel coat so checking with a couple large RV dealers might also give a reference for whom they use.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Thanks for the suggestion SuperD!

Found a local body shop that does gel coat repair. Going to give them a shot.

West Marine has many original mfg colors of gel coat ,not hard to do it yourself .

I repair my Clackacraft drift boats gel coat after each season. It is very easy. I buy the gel coat in a tube. I first use wet sandpaper to smooth things out, then apply the gel coat. After it dries, I again use the sandpaper to smooth it out. You have to look really close to find where the repair is.
    08 20' Rogue Marine Pro Steelheader
    5.7 MPI Jet
    2 Cannon Mag 10 DR.
    Lowrance HDS 8
    16' Clacka Craft
    16' Fish Craft Cat

Comments here regarding difficulty are correct. If it is just scratches in the Gel Coat you can do the job if you want to save some money. Color matching is the biggest issue. Check with your boat manufacturer, mine offers gel coat repair kits that are color matched to year, model and color.
    Good luck!
    K