Thread: THE REEL

Default THE REEL

Ok guys I did the Velocity Salmon Extreme!
    Now whats your thoughts on the best reel? I like the Okuma line counter reels but??
    Let me know I appreciate it!

Default Lablover

My choice is Daiwa ACC Dept line counter Degitial

I like the Okuma clod water CW153d line counter
    for lake trout I like Abu Garcia ALPH20LC

I also have a Velocity Salmon Xtreme, I'm using a Velocity black ops with it but am partial to Okuma reels. Using 2 Okuma Magda Pro MA30DX on a couple of blue Whuppin' Sticks and 2 Okuma Convector 15 on Lamiglass red koke rods. Love the Okuma's, one of the cold water series is on my list
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Default Reels

I've pretty much switched to all Okuma Coldwater 153's on my Koke rods , worked fine for one 14 lb laker too! The drag on them are very precise, I'm sure there are better reels, but the value is good on them, however, it probably means more to have confidence in the equipment than having the most expensive. But that's just my opinion. Just remember the drag tightens up as more line is being pulled off the reel,the leverage gets closer to the center, good luck.
    [SIGPIC]

If a Shimano Tekota 300 is out of your range, the Coldwater low profile linecounters are getting great reviews from guys that fish them on a regular basis.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Default Reels

I've been using the Diawa 17 (ADP17LCB) reels on my kokanee rods for the last couple of years and have no complaints. They work smooth and the drag is good. This year at the ISE, I talked with the owner of the Velocity line of reels and picked up a couple of the Velocity Rincons. They (and the Black Ops) do not have a line counter, but one pass over and back on the line guide equals 10 feet of line going out so its somewhat easy to determine how far out you've set your lure. I'll be running 2 Diawas and 2 Velocitys this year for a side by side comparison.

I've tried the Cabelas line counter reels and find them to be very shoddy in quality and performance; in other words, they're junk and I would stay away. I have no experience with the Okumos, but talking with a couple of different stores that sell them, I've been told that the return rate on them is higher than with the Diawas.

The Diawa 17s can be had for around $70 locally. The Velocitys are around $100 to $120 for the Recons and about $130 to $150 for the Black Ops. Both were being sold at the ISE for at or just under $100. The MAIN difference between the 2 Velocity reels is the Recon has 6 ball bearings and the B. O. has 10. Both are very smooth compared to my Diawa 17s.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

I am a little bias to Okuma stuff since I can get them for pretty cheap. I am now running the cold water low profile on all of my kok rods and the cold water 203 on all of my laker rods. They are great!

Default Reel choice

I did own one low profile Okuma all in all I like, except I didn't like gear ratio vs Dawias model 15. I did pay just about half the amount for the Okuma vs Dawia. I had a friend pick up a Velocity raptor kokanee rod for 53.00 I was very impressed. Nice rod.