Thread: Yeah! FedEx delivered my kicker.

Default Yeah! FedEx delivered my kicker.

the 2017 Tohatsu 9.8 electric start is replacing the 97 8 hp Honda manual start. The 9.8 hp I think will handle the Lund 1875 crossover better with the wind we have here in Colorado. Any way need to get it on after this storm passes, and this snow melts. We need the snow bad, so no problem for me. Will post some pix later.
    CHPERDUE
    God does not subtract one minute of life for the hours spent fishing.

Congratulations ,a new kicker can make a world of difference.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Default Safety issues for me.

Thank you. I decided to up grade to an electric start with the longer shaft because I am no longer a young Hoss. Pulling on the starter rope is a lot more difficult these days than 10 years ago. I have to stand on the rear deck and it is a scary bent over trying to start the manual Honda. It will be nice to just push the button and go trolling. I have the iTrol and a PowrTran remote steering for it. I'm happy to have the safety of staying off that rear casting deck while bent over pulling that start rope and falling into water or back into the boat deck.
    Can't wait to get on the lakes.
    CH

That should be a great little motor. I have the merc 9.9 pro kicker on my 1775 crossover and it has been great so far.

Great decision you made. I had a Tohatsu motor carrying the Mercury brand for years. It ran like a champ but also was a pull start. I parted my ways with it when I sold my boat. My upgrade now saves my shoulder for reeling.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone, I sure hope so. I think the electric start will be well worth it, plus the little extra power.
    Thank again .
    CH

You'll love that motor! Every time I read a thread like this, I wish I was limber enough to kick myself in the .... "backside" because I got cheap and ordered a pull start; ALL that money I spent on my dream rig and finally when it came down to a pull start VS electric I got cheap?? Lesson learned....

Default I hear you fellow fisherman.

I no choice for me, last year I had a full hip replacement, and 2 years ago I had a torn rotator/bieceps tendon repair. So me being held together by bailing wire and hey wire, I just can't pull on a sluggish Motor when it's 38 deg. at 9800 ft here in CO. Besides that water is to cold to go for an 0 dark thirty swim.
    CH

Default Got her done

I got the Tohatsu 9.8 mounted and rigged up with the iTroll and the PowrTran python remote stearing. Gas line and every thing ready for the trip to the lake. Heading up to 11 Mile Res. to try the Kokes 1st week of May. Here are few Pix of the new kicker/electric start.
    CH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0379.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	8974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0381.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	8975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0382.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	8976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0383.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	8977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0384.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	8978  

Really nice set up!

Thank you now I hope I can catch some fish to make it worth the extra money. I spend a lot time by myself fishing with just my dog.
    CH

Looking good! Just curious why you wanted to have the remote steering vs just connecting it to the other motor? I am assuming that you are going to be at the helm while trolling anyways so that you are near your itroll controller and fish finder etc. I'm just wondering, mine is connected to the other motor and I have not had any problems with that set up.

Nothing beats a newer 4 stroke kicker, night and day difference with our newer Mercury 9.9, can go 2-3 days of trolling on 2 gallons or so. And make dang sure you are only running ethanol free in that beauty or she will hate you soon enough, see your local carrying gas stations here http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CO

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo307 View Post
    Looking good! Just curious why you wanted to have the remote steering vs just connecting it to the other motor? I am assuming that you are going to be at the helm while trolling anyways so that you are near your itroll controller and fish finder etc. I'm just wondering, mine is connected to the other motor and I have not had any problems with that set up.
    Hi
    Good question. My boat does not have hydraulic stearing. So after a day cranking the big motor and the kicker around in the Colorado wind, it wares on you. I fish a lot by myself and when reeling in a catch I'm not at the helm. To up grade to hydraulic stearing is more than just the remote stearing cost at the time. I have the Lawrence HDS 9 with wifi and paired to my iPad so I can see my depth finder from where ever I am in the boat I can even change setting with the iPad. I have an HDS 7 up front for when I am on the terrova bow mount electric motor so I can see it even up there in front of the wind shield while casting. My wife bought me this boat last year for my 66th birthday and she said rig it the way you want. So.
    I fish about 4 days a week now from ice off the lakes until the ramps close in oct 31. Then I fish the flat land lakes on warm days until ice off the mountain lakes. Oh and the iTroll gets moved to where ever I am, it has long cord and I just take it with me. I use the hunt mode a lot so, not much fiddling with it.
    CH
    Last edited by COfisherman; 04-20-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Ok that makes a lot of sense. I didn't even think about not having the hydraulic steering. When I am using my kicker I ordinarily will have the terrova in as well so I just use the kicker for propulsion and the terrova for steering and minor speed changes (cruise control to account for wind gusts) via the Ipilot link remote so I don't do a whole lot of steering with my kicker. I do have the hydraulic steering on my main motor as well.

I wish I could fish 4 days a week! One day maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgehunter View Post
    Nothing beats a newer 4 stroke kicker, night and day difference with our newer Mercury 9.9, can go 2-3 days of trolling on 2 gallons or so. And make dang sure you are only running ethanol free in that beauty or she will hate you soon enough, see your local carrying gas stations here http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CO
    Oh yea. Use nothing but ethanol free gas in my boats. I buy from the south marina in Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Pillips66 and now Lake Gorge again. I also use the Mercury fuel cocktail recommend by Don (a dealer). Every thing seams to run good with it.
    1oz Mercury Quick Care/5gal fuel
    1oz Mercury QuickLeen/5gal fuel.
    And if stored over 30 days Mercury Quick Store(it has no alcohol)
    CH

Quote Originally Posted by COfisherman View Post
    Oh yea. Use nothing but ethanol free gas in my boats. I buy from the south marina in Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Pillips66 and now Lake Gorge again. I also use the Mercury fuel cocktail recommend by Don (a dealer). Every thing seams to run good with it.
    1oz Mercury Quick Care/5gal fuel
    1oz Mercury QuickLeen/5gal fuel.
    And if stored over 30 days Mercury Quick Store(it has no alcohol)
    CH
    I try to spread the word whenever I can, they just added 3 more pumps in our area alone so I hope they are coming back. As for the additives, you may want to do a search to see if they are just selling you rebranded SeaFoam or Techron Complete at a higher price.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgehunter View Post
    I try to spread the word whenever I can, they just added 3 more pumps in our area alone so I hope they are coming back. As for the additives, you may want to do a search to see if they are just selling you rebranded SeaFoam or Techron Complete at a higher price.
    i have never ran non eth in my boat and in my trolling motor , my boat fuel tank is the fuel source for my kicker , just sayin

on a brighter note fedex just dropped off my new captains chairs ,cant wait for the weather to turn to install them