Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canning Kokes

Quote Originally Posted by Kokaholic View Post
    Ok then. So I will catch my kokes this year. Bring them home, Can them, only take some to the lake if I'm going to be in Utah, not Wyoming and then I will be ok.
    Hold on there buckaroo. Because I haven't heard from Utah on this yet, you have that backwards. Wyoming doesn't have any regulation about bringing canned fish into Wyoming. I don't know what the stance of Utah is on this issue - yet. Can 'em at home and take 'em to the field in Wyoming; they don't care. But hold off, for now, bringing them into the field in Utah until I get a response back from Utah.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Port1965 View Post
    Would one of you guys be so kind as to lend me their canning recipe/procedure on canning Kokane?
    Checkout this thread and let me know if there are any questions, more than willing to help.

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...s-Instructions
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Default Some thoughts on canning

Thanks for the link to that canning thread. The patty recipe looks inviting but I don't think my bride would like them that spicy (I would love it). I'd like to point out that the pressure you maintain during the canning process is altitude dependent. The higher the altitude is that you are doing the canning at will determine the amount of pressure you will need. I live at 4,200 fet MSL and the pressure I can at is 13 psi. The time does NOT change with altitude. My canner book says 100 minutes is required for fish in pints. I use pint and 1/2 pint jars and always cook at 13 psi for 100 minutes. One person in the other thread mentioned 90 minutes which I believe is incorrect. Check the instructions that came with your cooker to be sure.

Bones - it is not necessary to remove the 'y' bones from any fish that you can. The pressure process crystallizes ALL the bones and they are not detectable when eaten after the canning process is completed. Yes, even the heavier rib bones. Gone.

Smoking - I have a Bradley smoker and I do not have the cold smoke attachment (but will have later this year). After 2 hours in the smoker, the fillets are very soft and difficult to handle/manage while putting the flesh into the jars. Cold smoking should be a much better way to go in this regard.

Seasoning - Almost any dry seasoning spice will work in the canning process; pick your poison. Start with a 1/2 teaspoon in your first batch and see how it turns out. If it wasn't enough, increase by 1/2 teaspoon in future batches until it reaches your taste preference. While my book says DON'T add liquids, I have experimented with some thick liquids such as ketsup and Catalina dressing. I plan to try some Russian dressing in the future. I use 1 Tablespoon in pint jars.

Let me end by telling you to follow the general guidelines in your cooker owner's manual for time and pressure as well as preparation. If you inherited your Grandmothers canner and there isn't any manual, call the Mfg company (if they still exist) or go on line for general instructions available form several Federal, State, or local government agencies. Your local extension service would be a great place to start.

One of my favorite uses of the finished product is to open the jar and drain out the liquid. Place the contents in a mixing bowl. Add some mayo to make the mixture just like the tuna fish your Mother used to make. Then add at least a 1/4 cup of finely chopped celery and a 1/4 cup finely chopped onion. Finally, add some Dickinson's Pepper & Onion Relish to taste; I use a HEAPING spoon full. Mix well and serve with your favorite crakers or make sandwiches with it. I'm hungry just thinking about it.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Just a reminder for those that are not familiar with Utah/Wyoming regulations who plan to visit Flaming Gorge there is a sticky posted on this board but not this thread.

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...ng-Regulations
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Quote Originally Posted by dubob View Post
    Hold on there buckaroo. Because I haven't heard from Utah on this yet, you have that backwards. Wyoming doesn't have any regulation about bringing canned fish into Wyoming. I don't know what the stance of Utah is on this issue - yet. Can 'em at home and take 'em to the field in Wyoming; they don't care. But hold off, for now, bringing them into the field in Utah until I get a response back from Utah.
    Hence why i was posing the question. We have had a lot of talk back and forth, just kinda ensuring as we go. Patiently waiting.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Default Can we just go catch some kokanee now?

I finally got to talk this morning to a LE Officer at DWR HQ in SLC. His thoughts on this subject are that it is perfectly okay to take canned (bottled) fish from home with you on fishing trips. If you were in a situation where a LE Officer came to your campsite to check you for possession compliance and found you had canned fish at your site, then the LE Officer might ask a few questions to verify that they had in fact been canned at home prior to that trip. Inspection of your RV/camping quarters might ensue to determine that you don’t have canning equipment (pressure cooker a/o a case of canning jars) with you.

The Officer I talked to admitted that he takes home processed venison with him on his own deer hunting trips on a regular basis and viewed the taking of home processed fish as falling under the same allowed practice.

So the bottom line for both Wyoming and Utah is that you CAN bring home canned fish with you on your fishing/camping trips. They will NOT count against your possession limits. Makes perfect sense to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12