Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canning Kokes

Default Canning Kokes

Maybe this isn't a good idea after all. RAY
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	016.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	8944   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	8943   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	8942  
    Last edited by sawhorseray; 04-01-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

This is just an FYI for anybody who fishes the Wyoming side of the Gorge and it is not directed towards any one individual.

I was skeptical of the interpretation of the Wyoming Game & Fish laws by Mark Smith since he isn’t a Wyoming Law Enforcement officer. I thought it would be prudent to double check with a Wyoming Law Enforcement officer to see if what Mr. Smith said was valid. I, for one, am glad I checked. You may not be. So be it.

My contact was Cheyenne Game Warden Kristen DaVanon. I wrote him an email and told him what Mark Smith said about preserving/canning fish in a shelf stable manner in the field would remove the fish from one’s possession limit count while in the field or during transport. I told Officer DaVanon that I just wanted to verify that Wyoming Conservation Officers were on the same page in that regard. I mentioned that a lot of Utah anglers fish the Wyoming side of the Gorge specifically for kokanee and find the one day possession limit on both sides of the border to be overly restrictive. In response to my query, Officer DaVanon had this to say about fish possession limits in Wyoming.
    “Unfortunately, fish in any form will count towards your possession limit, including those that are preserved or canned. Possession limit is defined in Wyoming Game and Fish regulations as:

“Possession Limit” means the maximum number of game fish that may legally be in possession at any time and in any form. Game fish in transit or storage, including home or domicile, shall be considered in possession. Possession limits apply regardless of how many days an angler has fished.

Also remember that while in the field and in transport, fish must be kept in a manner that species and numbers can be determined. There may be different regulations if there is a size limit:

Section 5. (d) All fish possessed or transported shall be kept in a manner that species and numbers can be determined. When length limits apply, the whole body shall remain intact (gills and entrails can be removed) while in transit or in the field. Where length limits do not apply, a piece of skin large enough to allow species identification (at least one (1) inch square) shall remain on all fish fillets while in transit or in the field, except as otherwise provided in Sections 22, 25 and 32 for walleye and sauger harvested in the Wind River, Big Horn River and Tongue River drainages and Glendo Reservoir and in Section 28 for lake trout harvested in Flaming Gorge Reservoir.

Please see our fishing regulations for more information: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Reg...TIONS_CH46.pdf

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.”
    I replied back with this: Then how do you reconcile this email from a Wyoming Game and Fish Department employee written last year? It seems that you and he have different interpretations of Wyoming’s fishing regulations. I’m not trying to be difficult here, but you both should be giving advise based on the same interpretation of the law. Currently, you are not. I know of at least 2 different parties from other states that are taking Mr. Smith’s word on the matter and plan to can fish while fishing at Flaming Gorge this year to remove their daily catch from their possession limit. They plan to have a copy of Mr. Smith’s email in their possession to use as proof that this is allowed in Wyoming. I would ask that you contact Mr. Smith and come together on this so that we can abide by the laws as they are intended. Thank you.

And I got this reply back from Officer DaVanon:
    I understand your concern. However, the regulations are clear on that fish in any form count towards your possession limit. I am coordinating with Mr. Smith to make sure that all divisions of the department are providing accurate information. I apologize for the confusion this has caused.
    And finally, I thanked him for his efforts and asked him to please let me know the outcome of his coordination with Mark Smith.

I do my best to abide by all Fish & Game Laws wherever I hunt or fish. I believe that most outdoor people do likewise. I hope I’ve given you a clearer understanding of the Wyoming law as it is written and will be enforced. Tight lines to everybody and I hope all y’all have a great year on the Gorge. Take care and be safe.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Default Thanks Bob

Many thanks Bob!

There is a record number of Koke's in the Gorge this year. I guess before it said and done I will be growing gills from eating salmon.

Chasing laker's this weekend but may try shallow for the koke's and will be tipping my squids with plain yellow cut corn. (Trying to be funny here)

Thanks again!

Mike Fresh

For me, one of the disturbing affects of these regulations is that it prevents me from bringing canned Kokanee from home to eat on my trips to the Gorge. Cocktail time with some yummy Koke dip and crackers.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    For me, one of the disturbing affects of these regulations is that it prevents me from bringing canned Kokanee from home to eat on my trips to the Gorge. Cocktail time with some yummy Koke dip and crackers.
    Interesting point and I offer this for your consideration. I too can a lot of my fish at home. Its a great hobby and I never have to worry about freezer burn. I put labels on the lids identifying the contents along with the date they were canned. If I don't have any canning equipment (a pressure cooker) in evidence at my camp spot or motel, then what would be the logic in assuming they were being canned in the field during that trip? However, it would be a simple process to pose this question to the Law Enforcement divisions of both Utah and Wyoming DWRs. Would you care to do it or would you like me to pursue it? Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to have it in my camper while fishing at the Gorge or anyplace else for that matter.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Thanks Bob, interpretations of rules & regs always seem to get a little muddled. As I have read in Utah's regulation that they try to align with those states sharing the same waters as those states sharing with Utah- Wyoming/Utah, Idaho/Utah.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

So now it's considered illegal to even can the kokes at camp? Am I understanding that correctly? Doing so would make it hard to identify the species I guess. RAY
    Last edited by sawhorseray; 04-01-2017 at 05:52 PM.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

I will report back here with anything further I get from Officer DaVanon.

Bob, I want to thank you for taking the time to look into this. It's something that many of us are interested in. Years ago, my mom would can/bottle the fish that my dad and i would catch. It was nice to have them not freezer burn as you shared with yours, along with having them be available for years to come. Im going to start doing many of my fish upon returning home and have them for various occasions as needed. We appreciate your efforts and the time you have put into getting the correct answers.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Mark, I think that we should make a Gorge trip and have a canning party afterwards. I plan on canning most of my Kokes this year.

I'm checking on that with both Wyoming & Utah. Stay tuned.

Mark, I think that we should make a Gorge trip and have a canning party afterwards. I plan on canning most of my Kokes this year.
    That works for me.

It's also important to take note of this part of the regulation...Game fish in transit or storage, including home or domicile, shall be considered in possession. Possession limits apply regardless of how many days an angler has fished. It doesn't matter whether fish are in your cooler while fishing/camping, or at home in your freezer/on your shelf, you are limited to the possession limit in Wyoming (I know the same is true in Montana). Know the regulations for your state.

Default Utah

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDaveMT View Post
    It's also important to take note of this part of the regulation...Game fish in transit or storage, including home or domicile, shall be considered in possession. Possession limits apply regardless of how many days an angler has fished. It doesn't matter whether fish are in your cooler while fishing/camping, or at home in your freezer/on your shelf, you are limited to the possession limit in Wyoming (I know the same is true in Montana). Know the regulations for your state.
    Utah changed that last year and completely did away with that (some would say, me included, stupid) restriction. It wasn't ever enforced to any noticeable degree in Utah and it was removed from the Utah code. It SHOULD be removed in all states IMHO, but I agree with you 100%; if it is the law in your state, then you should respect it and obey it.

In Idaho, possession ends at your residence door step. This does not include your camper but allows you to can Kokes and not have your home invaded by an officer without a search warrant claiming to look for illegal game.
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

Quote Originally Posted by dubob View Post
    Utah changed that last year and completely did away with that (some would say, me included, stupid) restriction. It wasn't ever enforced to any noticeable degree in Utah and it was removed from the Utah code. It SHOULD be removed in all states IMHO, but I agree with you 100%; if it is the law in your state, then you should respect it and obey it.
    I'm either glad or lucky that Utah changed it because I was thinking that they could kiss my white a$$ if they were going to hold me to that restriction.

Default Oops!

I'm either glad or lucky that Utah changed it because I was thinking that they could kiss my white a$$ if they were going to hold me to that restriction.
    Me thinks I may not have been clear about the restriction being eliminated. The restriction for kokanee in possession while in the field is still a one day limit in possession while still in the field. There is no possession limit at your permanent place of residence in Utah. Since you live in Kalifornia, you will still be restricted to a one day possession limit at Flaming Gorge whether you camp/fish in Wyoming or Utah. Removing the permanent residence possession restriction in Utah only benefits residents of Utah. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1686.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	8953
    Me thinks I may not have been clear about the restriction being eliminated. The restriction for kokanee in possession while in the field is still a one day limit in possession while still in the field. There is no possession limit at your permanent place of residence in Utah. Since you live in Kalifornia, you will still be restricted to a one day possession limit at Flaming Gorge whether you camp/fish in Wyoming or Utah. Removing the permanent residence possession restriction in Utah only benefits residents of Utah. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that before.
    Bob, Dave resides here in Utah now. It still shows in teh upper right hand that he is in Sacramento. Btw, while at Willard tonight, the water temp was 53 deg. Stained water, no love!!! Washed some lures and worked out a few kinks. Im going to attach some pics of the South marina cleaning station. This thing will mow through a wiper carcas like a knife through soft butter. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1686.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	8953

i,m not sure but i think you can have a 2 day limit now at strawberry but don't quote me on that one .

Quote Originally Posted by mtncat1 View Post
    i,m not sure but i think you can have a 2 day limit now at strawberry but don't quote me on that one .
    Sorry; no! This from the 2017 Guidebook:
    Additional limit in the field
    You may possess up to two daily limits of fish as you travel within Utah—or if you leave the state—as long as you meet the following conditions:
    •You are on an overnight or multi-day fishing trip at any Utah waterbody, excluding Strawberry Reservoir or Flaming Gorge Reservoir. (At those two reservoirs, you may have only one daily limit in your possession.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kokaholic View Post
    Bob, Dave resides here in Utah now.
    That's a good thing!

Once he gets 'em home, he can keep as many as he wants to in jars or vacuum packed and in the freezer. Smoked and vacuum pack ain't to shabby either.

I will report back here with anything further I get from Officer DaVanon.
    I just got this reply from Officer DaVanon: There are no regulations regarding bringing in canned fish from Utah.

Sorry; no! This from the 2017 Guidebook:
    your right bob thanks for looking that up for me

I just got this reply from Officer DaVanon: There are no regulations regarding bringing in canned fish from Utah.
    Ok then. So I will catch my kokes this year. Bring them home, Can them, only take some to the lake if I'm going to be in Utah, not Wyoming and then I will be ok.

Default Canning Recipe

Would one of you guys be so kind as to lend me their canning recipe/procedure on canning Kokane?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast