Thread: License and Tags Online?

Default License and Tags Online?

Having fished FG twice last summer we're already booked for two nine day trips next June and July at Buckboard. Is it possible to purchase fishing licenses and the needed boat tags online in advance, or does it have to be done at the Ace Hardware in Green River?. Pautskez fire corn, bloody tuna and kokanee killer scent, red and orange hoochies, we will slay them once again. Only four more months, can't wait! RAY
    Last edited by sawhorseray; 04-01-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

As long as you stay on the Wyoming side, you can do it all online through Wyoming Fish & Game website.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Thanks for that SuperD! We stay at Buckboard CG and never get close to crossing the line except to drive down to Lucerne in the truck. There's really not a whole lot of time to waste once we get there in order to be ready to fish the next morning. Once camp is set and the boat gets a berth it's a real vacation. RAY

Purchase an AIS Decal for boat
    Motorized watercraft registered in any other state = $30 AIS decal
    https://wgfd.wyo.gov/elso/elsoaiswelcome.aspx

Wyoming Game & Fish DepartmentOnline Electronic Licensing System

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/elso/ELSOWelcome2.aspx

If you don't fish Utah side this should be all you need

you can check the cost of Utah License, then you would need a $10.00 reciprocal stamps for the WY. side you can buy this on the WY web site some times it is hard to find make sure you don't pay over $10.

Utah Hunting & Fishing Licenses

https://secure.utah.gov/hflo/main/se...l?server=serv2

Parking permit

$5 per day, $12 per week, or $35 per year (good for one calendar year (This may have changed)
    I think you need to buy this from the
    U. S. forest Service

If you have a National Parks Senior Pass it is free.

Ordered my 2017 Wyoming AIS Decal today, want to be ready to go to the Gorge at a moment's notice .
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by liketrolling View Post
    Purchase an AIS Decal for boat
    Motorized watercraft registered in any other state = $30 AIS decal
    https://wgfd.wyo.gov/elso/elsoaiswelcome.aspx

Wyoming Game & Fish DepartmentOnline Electronic Licensing System

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/elso/ELSOWelcome2.aspx

If you don't fish Utah side this should be all you need

you can check the cost of Utah License, then you would need a $10.00 reciprocal stamps for the WY. side you can buy this on the WY web site some times it is hard to find make sure you don't pay over $10.

Utah Hunting & Fishing Licenses

https://secure.utah.gov/hflo/main/se...l?server=serv2

Parking permit

$5 per day, $12 per week, or $35 per year (good for one calendar year (This may have changed)
    I think you need to buy this from the
    U. S. forest Service

If you have a National Parks Senior Pass it is free.
    Thanks for those links liketrolling, and the reminder about the AIS stamp. I've got the senior pass, gets me half price at the campgrounds too. Last year on our first trip the lady told my wife over the phone they sold fishing licenses. When we got there she said the computer was down, couldn't do it, we had to drive right back to Green River to score. RAY

Licenses and conservation stamps printed out and in the glove compartment of the boat. AIS sticker came in the mail and installed on starboard side. Ready to rock! RAY

​I got my Wyoming AIS sticker saturday , ready to rock.
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by sawhorseray View Post
    Having fished FG twice last summer we're already booked for two nine day trips next June and July at Buckboard. Is it possible to purchase fishing licenses and the needed boat tags online in advance, or does it have to be done at the Ace Hardware in Green River? I'll be bringing the pressure cooker again to can the mornings catch daily, only way to stay legal, and the stuff tastes great. Pautskez fire corn, bloody tuna and kokanee killer scent, red and orange hoochies, we will slay them once again. Only four more months, can't wait! RAY
    i really don't care what you do personally with your fish but please don't misinform people of what you can catch and keep at flaming gorge , i doesn't matter what form the salmon are in cooked ,raw, canned etc.they still count towards your possession limit. meaning you can not possess more than 1 limit of fish weather they are canned or not. you must consume the them before you can keep more . here is a cut and paste from the wyoming proclamation. once again i'm not slamming you but this is what's legal from what i read.
    Possession Limit
    means the maximum number of game fish that may legally be
    in possession at any time and in any form. Game fish in transit
    or storage, including home or domicile, shall be considered in
    possession. Possession limits apply regardless of how many days
    an angler has fished

Having fished FG twice last summer we're already booked for two nine day trips next June and July at Buckboard. Is it possible to purchase fishing licenses and the needed boat tags online in advance, or does it have to be done at the Ace Hardware in Green River? I'll be bringing the pressure cooker again to can the mornings catch daily, only way to stay legal, and the stuff tastes great. Pautskez fire corn, bloody tuna and kokanee killer scent, red and orange hoochies, we will slay them once again. Only four more months, can't wait! RAY
    I have to agree with Mtncat, You can only have three kokes in possession whether there in bottles, frozen, fresh. whatever. if you eat those three kokes each day, or give them away, then you can go out and catch three more kokes. Im not trying to rain on your parade, but thats the law the way i read and understand it.. I do also know that Wyo Game and fish watch these forums also.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokaholic View Post
    I have to agree with Mtncat, You can only have three kokes in possession whether there in bottles, frozen, fresh. whatever. if you eat those three kokes each day, or give them away, then you can go out and catch three more kokes. Im not trying to rain on your parade, but thats the law the way i read and understand it.. I do also know that Wyo Game and fish watch these forums also.
    I'm not sure which fishing website this was posted on, but it was pointed out last year that in Wyoming, if you pressure can (bottle if you prefer) your fish in the field, they are no longer considered as part of your in-the-field possession limit. After seeing that post, I contacted the Utah DWR and asked if the same was true in Utah. It definitely is NOT true in Utah. They will be part of your in-the-field possession limit until you reach your permanent place of residence (your home). If you have a vacation residence (cabin/trailer/etc.) somewhere in Utah, that does not qualify as your home for possession limit removal. But in Wyoming, their Fish & Game told somebody (in either a letter or email) that canning the fish removed them from your in-the-field possession limit. I don't have the time to research it right now, but I remember the conversation clearly.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

i really think they should allow people to keep and trans port a 2 day limit of fish due to the remoteness of flaming gorge , if they did that you wouldn't have to play games with the limits. that would allow you to keep 6 nice kokes each and 16 lake trout which are under rated as tablefair / that should be enough fish for anyone to eat .

the limit for kokanee is 3 fish in Utah or wy and you can only tranport one limit from the gorge per trip , no matter how many days you fish

Quote Originally Posted by oneanddone View Post
    the limit for kokanee is 3 fish in Utah or wy and you can only tranport one limit from the gorge per trip , no matter how many days you fish
    i know i was only saying that is what i would like them to do , it was an example of what you could keep if they would let you keep 2 possession limits 2x 3 kokes a 2x8 lake trout

Quote Originally Posted by mtncat1 View Post
    i really don't care what you do personally with your fish but please don't misinform people of what you can catch and keep at flaming gorge , i doesn't matter what form the salmon are in cooked ,raw, canned etc.they still count towards your possession limit. meaning you can not possess more than 1 limit of fish weather they are canned or not. you must consume the them before you can keep more . here is a cut and paste from the wyoming proclamation. once again i'm not slamming you but this is what's legal from what i read.
    Possession Limit
    means the maximum number of game fish that may legally be
    in possession at any time and in any form. Game fish in transit
    or storage, including home or domicile, shall be considered in
    possession. Possession limits apply regardless of how many days
    an angler has fished
    I'm not misinforming anyone! If you bothered to contact the proper authorities in a quest to be informed, as I did, then you'd know better. RAY
    Last edited by sawhorseray; 04-01-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Default I knew I'd seen that last year

I'm not misinforming anyone! If you bothered to contact the proper authorities in a quest to be informed, as I did, then you'd know better. Below is the complete email interaction between myself and Mark Smith, Assistant Fisheries Management Coordinator, Wyoming Game and Fish Department. I keep a copy in the glove compartment of my boat and also my truck. You may want to copy and print this to have on hand yourself. It certainly seemed to work in my favor last year when we were boarded by Wyoming F&G and asked what we were doing with our kokes. Your welcome. RAY

Thanks Ray. You just affirmed that I haven't lost my memory after all.

I will definitely print out that information from Mr. Smith and save it for further reference. And as for the Utah side of the lake, I called DWR last year and told them what you had found and asked if it applied in Utah. Emphatically, NO, it does not. The only time they are removed from your possession in the field is if you donate them to somebody else or get them to your permanent place of residence which will never be your RV or vacation cabin. Also, if you are camped in Wyoming, then don't ever take any of the canned fish with you to Utah (say Buckboard to Manila). As soon as you catch a fish on the Utah side you would be in violation of the Utah possession law if you had canned fish in your boat or tow vehicle.

And just for clarification, Wyoming has this in their Regulations brochure:
    DISCLAIMER This booklet is a condensed summary of Chapter 46 and many other applicable wildlife laws and other important information. This summary is in no way intended to alter content or statutory intent of those laws. If you have any questions regarding the precise language, you can view a copy of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department Statutes (Title 23) online*. Official Wyoming Game and Fish Commission Regulations are available from any Game and Fish Department offi ce and can be viewed online at wgfd.wyo.gov/regulations.
    And Utah has this in their Guidebook:
    A closer look at the rules This guidebook summarizes Utah’s fishing laws and rules. Although it is a convenient quick-reference document for Utah fishing regulations, it is not an all encompassing resource. For an in-depth look at Utah’s fishing laws and rules, visit wildlife.utah.gov/rules. You can use the references in this guidebook—such as Utah Administrative Rule R657-13-6 and Utah Code § 23-20-3—to search the Division’s website for the detailed statute or rule that underpins the guidebook summary. If you have questions about a particular rule, call or visit the nearest Division office.
    The published documents from both states are summaries and are not all inclusive and they do not cover all aspects of the law. As Ray found out, canning fish in Wyoming removes them from his in-field possession restriction. But that is NOT in the published document. And as both documents suggest, if in doubt, call DWR and discuss it with them.

Take care all y'all and may you have a great kokanee year in 2017.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

good to know and best of luck to you. but i definitely wouldn't do it there are plenty of fish to keep from the gorge that you don't have to skirt the laws to keep . but them again i fish for pleasure not to save me a trip to the grocery store but that's me .

Quote Originally Posted by mtncat1 View Post
    good to know and best of luck to you. but i definitely wouldn't do it there are plenty of fish to keep from the gorge that you don't have to skirt the laws to keep . but them again i fish for pleasure not to save me a trip to the grocery store but that's me .
    You might feel a little different if it took you a couple of days to get to the gorge rather than a few hours drive from home. Say you were camped there and caught a limit of kokes the first day. You could eat one for dinner, and then when you went fishing the second day your limit would be one. When camped there, there aren't " plenty of fish to keep from the gorge", there's just three, and smoked and frozen count. Knowing the law isn't skirting the law. You can see plenty of folks skirting the law while running smokers. Just sayin'. RAY

This thread might be headed for a hijack but I too would like to see a change in the limit regulations. More fish would be saved if they increased take limits and outlawed catch and release.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    More fish (kokanee) would be saved if they . . . outlawed catch and release (of kokanee).
    Kokanee have one of the WORST (if not THE worst) survival rates of any fish caught and released. I always change tackle and tactics after my daily limit of kokanee are in the boat. I will occasionally still hook a kokanee, but it is never intentionally nor intended. I agree 100% that it should be made illegal to intentionally do so for kokanee. Apologies to the OP for the side track.

You might feel a little different if it took you a couple of days to get to the gorge rather than a few hours drive from home. Say you were camped there and caught a limit of kokes the first day. You could eat one for dinner, and then when you went fishing the second day your limit would be one. When camped there, there aren't " plenty of fish to keep from the gorge", there's just three, and smoked and frozen count. Knowing the law isn't skirting the law. You can see plenty of folks skirting the law while running smokers. Just sayin'. RAY
    there are plenty of other fish there to keep you and you wife can keep 16 lake trout which taste great . plus all the burbot you want not to mention bass and rainbows , there are plenty of opportunities to catch and keep fish but you have to open your mind and broaden your horizons . i personally take only 1 to 2 trips there a year and it is as remote for me as it is for you . aside from the initial drive . but knowing how most people that fish buckboard they go out in the morning for a couple of hours to fish then back to camp for the rest of the day. we go out at 6 am and usually get off the water at 3 pm . and have a great time targeting other species and generally having fun . but to each his own .i hope you have a great trip this year .

I'm not misinforming anyone! If you bothered to contact the proper authorities in a quest to be informed, as I did, then you'd know better. Below is the complete email interaction between myself and Mark Smith, Assistant Fisheries Management Coordinator, Wyoming Game and Fish Department. I keep a copy in the glove compartment of my boat and also my truck. You may want to copy and print this to have on hand yourself. It certainly seemed to work in my favor last year when we were boarded by Wyoming F&G and asked what we were doing with our kokes. Your welcome. RAY

----- Forwarded Message -----
    To: sawhorseray@yahoo.com
    Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 1:36 PM
    Subject: Kokanee

Hi Ray,

In Wyoming, gamefish that are fully preserved in a shelf stable form are not counted towards a possession limit. Smoked fish would be considered as part of a possession limit while in transport. Fish that are preserved/canned in a shelf stable manner would not count towards a possession limit while in transport.

Hope this helps

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 8:19 AM, WGF Webmaster <wgfdwebmaster@wyo.gov> wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 8:45 AM
    Subject: Smoked - Canned Kokanee
    To: "wgfdwebmaster@wyo.gov" <wgfdwebmaster@wyo.gov>

I’d like to know if canned or smoked kokanee count against the “fish in possession” limit during transport , I understand it’s three fish per licensed person. We plan to fish Flaming Gorge and we don’t want to be in violation of any F&G regulations during transport back to our home state. Thanks in advance for your help. RAY

--

Mark Smith
    Assistant Fisheries Management Coordinator
    Wyoming Game and Fish Department
    office 307-777-4560
    cell 307-220-7590
    mark.smith2@wyo.gov

Well, i stand corrected. Thanks for sharing what you took the time to check into. Im not going to can them, but im guessing your coming from out of state somewhere and making the most of your trip.

I do wish that there was a two limit possession. I feel that this would save a great deal of kokes each year. I also wish that both Wyoming and Utah Game and fish folks would all get on the same page and have the gorge regs be the same lake wide. It would sure make things easier all the way around. Tight lines this year.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

I also wish they'd agree on similar laws for both states and double the possession limit. Mtncat was quite on the spot, we fish early and get off the water early, my 16' Alumaweld isn't made for the afternoon winds. C&R should definitely be outlawed at the gorge, a hooked koke is pretty much a dead one by the time it gets to the boat. We take our first six kokes regardless of size, doesn't make much difference when they're getting chopped up and put into a jar. There's also not that inclination to "improve on the size" of the days catch that seems to lead to seeing so many floaters at the gorge, which is a criminal shame. I hope y'all have a fun, productive, and safe year out there.

i usually don't fish as far north as buck board but i would say most days i don't have much of a issue with wind . but because i said that it will probably be hell while i'm there in june