Thread: Merwin Lake 2017

Default Merwin Lake 2017

Wow I can't believe no one had started this thread yet LOL. Merwin has been kicking out limits or near limits for weeks now. The fish are all in the top 10 feet and biting well.
    The best areas have been around the stump farm and down by rope swing along with in front of the park. Pink and orange are the go to colors. Me and my fishing buddy have limited all but 1 fish 1 day and 5 days with limits. Water color is a bunch better than last year at this time and depending on where your at 41-43 degrees. It's been 50/50 long lines and 10 feet down on the wire. 1.2- 1.4 mph.
    Grab yourself a Koke

Thanks
    looks like I'll be heading to merwin if everything goes the right way

Default boat sinks on Merwin

Grab yourself a Koke

Default Merwin 3/12/17

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17265089_1810275392626769_3598445823492768965_n.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	8938

Name:	100_3 fg516.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	8939

Called up my fishing partner to go up to Merwin Lake and do some fishing and try and forget about all the problems from last week. (back surgery and putting down one of my champion show dogs) Right off the bat we had a blow out on my truck about 1/2 a mile from Woodland. Limped into town so I could get air in the spare and change the dam tire. Thinking this day is gonna suck we got to the lake and it was "The Bite's On" at 1 point we had fish on all 4 rods at the same time. then no bite after the 1st 15 were in the box and had to scratch out the next 4 then the last fish we needed to limit out (20 fish) took 2 good hours to get that 1 last bite. We had to lost at least another 20 we had on during the early bite too. Sling blades and pink hootchies and today's top sent was Mike's Shrimp oil on the corn.
    Also the guy I sold my sled to when I quit guiding was on the lake so that was cool hadn't seen him for years.
    Grab yourself a Koke

Question Lake Levels Question

I am considering taking a trip up to Merwin this week and noticed that the lake level is down at 228 ft right now. What is the Speelyia ramp like at this level? Is it still possible to launch a 20' Seahawk with the lake down 12' from full pool? What level does the ramp become non-useable for trailered boats? Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelie Steve View Post
    I am considering taking a trip up to Merwin this week and noticed that the lake level is down at 228 ft right now. What is the Speelyia ramp like at this level? Is it still possible to launch a 20' Seahawk with the lake down 12' from full pool? What level does the ramp become non-useable for trailered boats? Thanks for the help.
    I think the lake has been holding about that level for a few weeks. You lose a little dock usage but it is still good for launching. I put my 20 ft hewes in about 3 weeks ago no problems other than waiting to launch or retrieve the boat.

Default Water level

I fished on Tuesday and the water was about 10 feet from end of the dock. Way down from 3 weeks ago

I was out there all last week on vacation, the water level was down as far as 13 feet below full pool and the launch was usable, you had to end dock but the launch was safe (I have a twenty one footer). When we came in on Saturday the level had risen to the point that I could pull up along side of the non launch side of the dock. The water level is at 8 feet below full pool right now.
    The fishing was fairly good, we at least came close to limiting if we didn't limit every day except for the one day in was sunny then we only got two. We did the best just past the stump farm. We were using pink/orange "Tight line" Hoochies on two poles and customized Mini cut plugs (stuffed with tuna with krill/anise sent and tipped with pink "Fire corn") on the other two. All with arrow flash or deadly venom dodgers with no weight and 100 to 150 feet out. the cut plugs were out fishing the Hoochies about three to one.

I was out last Sunday. Got my limit just passed the stump Farm. Mini cut plugs are proving to be my favorites followed by ayakima tight line and flash and glow hoochit's. I was Using three quarter ounce weigh 150 to 200 feet out. Was quite windy so I had sea-socks out to keep the troll 1.2 MPH. I finally got some of the Kokanee cut plugs and rigged them just like the minis but had no luck

Default Speelyai Park is open

ALERT: This message has been updated Tuesday, May 9, 2017.
    · State Route 503 is currently open, expect delays. Please visit the WSDOT website for travel details at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/regions/southwest

· Speelyai Park is open beginning Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 5:00am. Cresap Bay Park will re-close until its formal opening May 26, 2017.
    Grab yourself a Koke

Name:	100_3606.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	9013

My fishing buddy and I had our best ever day hooking up on Kokanee today and our absolute worst day ever ever hook-up to landing in the net ratio. We were hooked up 34 times today and only manged to get 6 to the net. We still had a good time and made the best of it even though we were pummeled by the rain and hail all day. The bite was pretty even between flat line and 10 ft. on the wire.
    Grab yourself a Koke

Nice catches!