Thread: New ROD

Default New ROD

Hey Guys-
    As the season quickly approaches I am hoping for some input???
    Here's the question what do you feel is the best Downrigger rod for lake trout?? I'm currently using a Velocity rod w/ okuma reel for Kokes and absoletly LOVE it! It's the Hybrid I believe and I can honestly say my catch rate/ in the boat rate has increased immensely! The rod set's great and with the length and play in the rod they just DONT come un buttoned.... So I guess If I could find a rod with these kinda of results for macs I would be well pleased!
    BTW I have brought into the boat 20lbs macs with this velocity...... Just want something with a bit more backbone

Hi lablover , Hey I was looking for the same type of rod last year for Lake Trout fishing at Bear Lake. I was using a Cabelas Whupp'in stick and broke it. ( My Fault ) I ran into Rob Chambers at Cabelas and he told me that I should try one of his 9 ft Salmon rods by Velocity, I'm sure I glad that I did. It loads and releases just like the Koke rods. I really like this rod. Just my 2 cents.
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

Dan beat me to it. The Velocity salmon rod will fit your needs perfectly. It has a nice limber tip with some backbone at the bottom for leveraging a big fish.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

And....... if you come down to the ISE show here in SLC, will have some great deals on those Salmon rods and we can get you equipped. March 16, 17, 18, 19th at Southtown center.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokaholic View Post
    And....... if you come down to the ISE show here in SLC, will have some great deals on those Salmon rods and we can get you equipped. March 16, 17, 18, 19th at Southtown center.
    I need a new rod I'll be coming down to ise to check them out
    I just know stuff...

So I generally buy my stuff from Rocky Mountain Tackle but I don't see the 9ft salmon rod listed??

​lablover , use this link- www.fishvelocity.com . You can find it there .
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

Guys Thanks for all the great info!!! So is it the "Salmon Xtreme" rod ??

Yes, thats it. two lengths of 9' or 9'6" will have both at the show!.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    So I generally buy my stuff from Rocky Mountain Tackle but I don't see the 9ft salmon rod listed??
    I have 2 of the JJ signature red koke rods, 2 of the green Velocity koke rods, and 1 of the 9' Velocity Salmon Xtreme rod all from RMT. I do have 2 of the Whuppin sticks I use at Bear L along with the Velocity Xtreme. Been kicking it around to pick up one more Xtreme for a while. I like having rods in pairs.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF