Thread: controls forward or not for new kicker?

Default controls forward or not for new kicker?

As I become more distinguished, (read that as old), I am planning on switching from my manual start / lift kicker with a steering rod to my Main, to an electric start / lift kicker. The question is whether to put all the controls forward, or just continue with the steering rod and have the option of running the kicker from the rear. The difference would be having to lower, start, and adjust throttle from the back, or not. Any input would be appreciated.

A couple of factors come to mind. Do you fish by yourself very often? I tend to fish with a buddy or my wife and much prefer the controls at the helm but that still requires a steering rod connected to the main motor. If you fish by yourself quite a bit, I'd think that the tiller control might be more convenient. Also, on an electric trim motor there is a button at the motor and the helm to raise/lower the motor. Personally, I feel like the tiller handle is always in the way at the back of the boat. My throttle and ignition for the kicker is at the front.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Carlz , a lot of us have had this same delema. I myself use a Remote-Troll unit with a cable and toggle switch to steer my kicker which has remote throttle control like the main motor. So all of my motor controls are up front at the by the driver, I prefer this setup over the Tiller handle. This way I don't have to touch the kicker at all.
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

Default Kicker input

I have all my kicker controls at the helm. All I have to do for the kicker is pump the primer bulb before I launch. I like it all by the helm so other folks can have the back of the boat when landing fish. Also, having a seat and the fish finder there makes a more comfortable day for me. It's nice to lower the kicker and let it warm up as I get to my fishing spot before I shut down the main.

Bill

how are your forward controls mounted? stacked, or duplicate?

Default Mounting

Quote Originally Posted by carlz View Post
    Mine are duplicate. The main is forward and the kicker is a couple feet or so behind it. Not saying in the heat of the moment I've grabbed the wrong one, haha.
    Last edited by Williep99; 02-13-2017 at 10:28 PM.

My previous boat was a manual pull start kicker mounted on a remote troll that was controlled anywhere in the boat, also a manual tilt. My current boat kicker is electric start, tiller handle, power tilt and connecting steering rod to main. All controls to kicker are at the motor which there is a 5yr difference of when kicker was an ad on later. As soon as I weed thru my process of modifications in a priority status I have it in the bucket to do a conversion for up front controls. But this is one way of saying I've moved into the technology from hand crank windows opting to power windows. Not disappointed in the way it turned out at all.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Stacked. Having to reach in weird areas to grab the throttle doesn't make sense to me.

I would think that stacked would be the way to go, however, I am considering a Yamaha kicker, and was told that if I do so, I cannot have stacked controls for a Honda main, and a Yamaha kicker, or am I being led down the garden path?

I wasn't aware that the throttle control was brand specific. Can you post a picture of your current controls?

I myself prefer to have the controls staggered from each other, that way they don't stick out so far .
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

It is the standard Honda remote, to the best of my knowledge, Also, how do you like the T8, it is one of the options for a kicker,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0551[1].jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	8866  

need to review before I post upside down pics

Yep, that is a different control body from the Yamahas.

Last edited by SuperD; 02-14-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Gentlemen
    Thanks for your help. I have decided to go with the Yamaha kicker, with front steering and possibly forward throttle in the future depending on how it works out
    Carl

As I become more distinguished, (read that as old), I am planning on switching from my manual start / lift kicker with a steering rod to my Main, to an electric start / lift kicker. The question is whether to put all the controls forward, or just continue with the steering rod and have the option of running the kicker from the rear. The difference would be having to lower, start, and adjust throttle from the back, or not. Any input would be appreciated.
    Have a 8h Yamaha with separate controller and love it have a rod connected to main motor for steering can stay under top in nasty weather when I get ready to blast back to my starting point just power tilt up motor start main motor and off I go hope this helps