Thread: Advice on positioning of rod holders

Hybrid View

Default Advice on positioning of rod holders

I am getting ready to install folbe rod holders on our new boat, we have scotty downriggers with the rod holder on the boom. My thought is that the folbe is for the stacking rod, or when flatlining, or possibly as the primary rod holder as the folbe is a superior holder when just running one set-up on that side. I am thinking that the mount should be behind the downrigger towards the back off the boat. Any thoughts? Also will install ball babies, or should I go with the Scotty clips for the boom or both? Any thoughts are appreciated. Also, does anyone use backing on downriggers when loading braid? I am going with the scotty 200lb. test at 300 ft Bob R

Default Bob r

I changed over to folbes about 4 yrs ago replaceing my scottys, I love the folbes, I run 4 cannon DR as you mentioned I use the boom mount on the DR.I set my rod holders close to my seats for quick pick up. These are behind my DR. I cant help as didn't switch my DR to braided line cable works great for me. I do use the extensions on my folbes. I think you will enjoy the results with the switch over.

Bob, are your only downriggers at the back or do you have any on the sides? If it was me, I'd put the bottom rod in the Folbe and the top rod in the Scotty holder. The location other holders would to the right of the downriggers on the starboard side and to the left of the downriggers on the port side.

Braid is pretty thin, I'd leave 100' of my wire on as backing.
    Last edited by SuperD; 01-27-2017 at 07:17 PM.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

The scotties are on either side of our boat (20 ft. Duckworth). They are about 24" to 28 " ahead of stern. We have the off-shore bracket for motors (150 and 9.9 hp yamis). I thought that I could use the folbe as primary holder as you suggested. Extensions sound like a good idea, are they sturdy enough for salmon fishing in the salt? I have some lovely rod leashes we bought years ago, gives me a little peace of mind, esp. with newbies. How are you tying braid to wire? Hopefully will give you all some American Lake reports when weather and fish warm up.Hopefully Merwin will improve this year, last time we fished it was with Kokonuts (Richard) who was a great host. We had only fished it a couple of times ourselves in the flatback Old Town canoe with the 4 H.P. which is certainly limiting when the wind picks up. We are hoping to return the favor later this year. Bob R

I use 1/16" crimping sleeves to make my ocean leaders and my tethers for downrigger release clips. I bet it can work for downrigger cable to braid. Search crimping sleeves on amazon to see what I'm talking about.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    I use 1/16" crimping sleeves to make my ocean leaders and my tethers for downrigger release clips. I bet it can work for downrigger cable to braid. Search crimping sleeves on amazon to see what I'm talking about.
    I'm already there, been making my own release lines for freshwater for years, have a good crimping tool. I'll try it and look for other options as well ,I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks to all for advice, see you out there. Bob R

Default Folbe mounts

I too switched to Folbe a few years back, takes folks a few practice releases to understand the operation. I have a Lund with a wide gunnel and mounted 3 flush mounts per side and one on each rail in the front. This let's me move them around dependent on fishing position without much thought. They're awesome rod holders.