Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Lucky Peak Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

On the question of fish beginning to turn, one of the fish I caught at DW about 10 days ago had a noticeable pink hue and had a jaw that was starting to hook a bit. Also caught one on Friday at Anderson that also had the same characteristics, nearly identical. Both were males.

Default Best day this year st LP

Fished from seven till noon and Got 2 limits. At 11:45 we hit a spot and all three poles got bites. Landed 4 koks and 1 trout , lost 2 in about 10 minutes.
    Saw few fish on the finder except a steady row above 12'. Only when I trusted my finder did the fishing turn crazy.
    All fish were caught in sight of Spring Shores. Orange spinners were the choice but actually didn't put much effort in others.

Default hope not

Well I sure hope we get at least until mid August before the big ones turn and get lock jaw. I was hoping that with the apparent health, quantity and size of last years post spawn fish that we would see a mass of the really big fish this year. I want to catch a 20" kokanee at LP (and 6 would be better than 1)!!!!!!! I keep getting the 19" but can't seem to find one that breaks the mark. Only time will get those buggers stretched to my goal. I will also tell you for a meat haul 6 of the pre-spawn old fish and you really have eating versus the same 6 14 to 15 inch garden variety kokes. (funny how we use to think a 14-15 was a monster koke for LP...evolution?)

Anyway Pauli I sure hope you are getting that I'm poking some fun at you and my post was satirical.

Here is a little something I discovered on the last trips both LP and Anderson. I found out that the leader length from flash to spinner is important. Last year we caught them from 18" back to 3ft plus and it really didn't seem to be that important from setup to setup. Boy this year if you weren't back a minimum of 4ft you didn't get a sniff. Once I figured that out we started to get hit on multiple poles and the action picked up notably.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Bomb View Post
    The biggest fish from Saturday (male) had a hint of pink on just the ends of the ventral and anal fins. Maybe just a very slight hint of his jaw forming. The smaller ones 17 and under did not at all. I wonder if the spawner year fish are starting to turn or if this was an anomaly. The big fish we caught at Anderson last week showed no signs of turning yet. Anyone else seen this so far?
    ***False (No sir Ive seen nothing like that. My guess is it's an anomaly. We have only boated one that big yesterday and I don't know what sex it was. Beautiful healthy fat fish though; all of those we caught have been.)

Today with a late start 10 only landed 2 Kokanee in 4 hours. Lots of them hooked at 25 feet just unlucky at keeping them on. I'm guessing a 3 to 1 catch ratio or worse. That's using drop shot hooks and noodle rods. Most got off in sight of the boat.

*** I had to edit this post I DID NOT catch a 19 inch Kokanee (but I want to) that is awesome.
    Last edited by KokaneeJoe; 07-18-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Correction
    Old ('79) Chrysler tri-hull with Minn Kota bow mount and Penn manual downriggers.

Here is a little something I discovered on the last trips both LP and Anderson. I found out that the leader length from flash to spinner is important. Last year we caught them from 18" back to 3ft plus and it really didn't seem to be that important from setup to setup. Boy this year if you weren't back a minimum of 4ft you didn't get a sniff. Once I figured that out we started to get hit on multiple poles and the action picked up notably.
    Seriously? I caught a bunch of fish there on Friday using a 12 inch or less leader from dodger to hoochie. Anderson, that is.
    Last edited by hooknhunter; 07-19-2017 at 08:57 AM.

Default Leader length

Quote Originally Posted by hooknhunter View Post
    Seriously? I caught a bunch of fish there on Friday using a 12 inch or less leader from dodger to hoochie.
    8" leader , bend bottom of flasher a little to make wiggle more, 2 in pink squids w/ rainbow u v flash from Hoochie King. if u see my pirate flag flying. I'll give u some of my heavily scented Firecorn . Also listen to Katy Perry.
    team Zigzag

Default Uh?

I think you may have missed the part about the setup being a "flasher to spinner combo" on the leader length comment.

You had me til Katy Perry! Were you at LP on Sunday between Gooseneck and Spring Shores in the morning? There was a v-bottom metal boat that passed by a few times with a tall pole and flag setup (don't remember the actual flag). What I do remember is when they moved around that flag would whip back and forth like crazy.

I think you may have missed the part about the setup being a "flasher to spinner combo" on the leader length comment.
    Yeah. I may have missed that. Cheers.

You had me til Katy Perry! Were you at LP on Sunday between Gooseneck and Spring Shores in the morning? There was a v-bottom metal boat that passed by a few times with a tall pole and flag setup (don't remember the actual flag). What I do remember is when they moved around that flag would whip back and forth like crazy.
    Yes . Going in the am . If you smell bacon wave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2016.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	9103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2017.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	9104  
    Last edited by nepetbutler; 07-22-2017 at 04:31 PM.
    team Zigzag

A couple of you guys are being real first class jerk offs. Folks come to this site to gain information and insight to learn this skill. The less experienced folks take every bit of this info and try to put it to practical use. You need to knock it off. Go back to torturing kittens and puppies.

Pauli
    Last edited by Pauli; 07-20-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    A couple of you guys are being real first class jerk offs. Folks come to this site to gain information and insight to learn this skill. The less experienced folks take every bit of this info and try to put it to practice use. You need to knock it off. Go back to torturing kittens and puppies.

Pauli
    Pauli,

I personally am a bit on the dense side. If you are referencing something I did, you'll need to be specific, cause I have no idea what you are talking about.

Keep your hooks in the water...... :-)

a 4 foot leader from flasher to spinner!?!?!? Nice try buddy, you would never catch any koks like that. The shorter the better, 6 to 12 inches. Some people that are less experienced actually read these comments and take them to heart......so just stop that......
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

hit up LP on Monday from 6 to 11. the bite was hot for the first 2 hours, then slowed. Managed to boat 3 trout, 3 koks, and 3 chinook. Kind of odd how many chinooks we are catching this year. We got them on orange, in between 25-35 feet. Everything on the stacked lines at 15 feet were the trout. didn't catch any trout deeper than 15. probably going to hit up the evening bite tonight, and see if its better. I haven't seen any reports of evening fishing on here yet. Last year, that was when we had the best luck.

Probably gonna go to Anderson on sat. I hope they are still slammin then

Quote Originally Posted by terek View Post
    hit up LP on Monday from 6 to 11. the bite was hot for the first 2 hours, then slowed. Managed to boat 3 trout, 3 koks, and 3 chinook. Kind of odd how many chinooks we are catching this year. We got them on orange, in between 25-35 feet. Everything on the stacked lines at 15 feet were the trout. didn't catch any trout deeper than 15. probably going to hit up the evening bite tonight, and see if its better. I haven't seen any reports of evening fishing on here yet. Last year, that was when we had the best luck.

Hey Terek...

Did you trim out your boat with a new paint scheme? I thought i saw you out and about on LP on monday....but that boat had a copper/brown trim paint job. I thought your boat had blue trim.

Pauli

Hey Terek...

Did you trim out your boat with a new paint scheme? I thought i saw you out and about on LP on monday....but that boat had a copper/brown trim paint job. I thought your boat had blue trim.

Pauli
    That was a different guy. I saw him as well. Same boat, but a bit newer. I did get new canvas top and Windows done, but still the same tan color. With blue trim

A couple of you guys are being real first class jerk offs. Folks come to this site to gain information and insight to learn this skill. The less experienced folks take every bit of this info and try to put it to practical use. You need to knock it off. Go back to torturing kittens and puppies.

Pauli
    That's odd that you were seeing it here I just recently got off of the Kokanee Fishing Forum Facebook page because it's full of a bunch of douchebags but I have only seen one a****** on this actual site last year and he got kicked

On the water at 8 off at 12 with only 2 kokes and a trout. Catch ratio poor at 5 to 2. But a beautiful calm morning with few wakes.
    Old ('79) Chrysler tri-hull with Minn Kota bow mount and Penn manual downriggers.

How was the evening fish? I'm headed up tonight to see if we can catch anything...hoping I can find fish there so I don't have to drive to Anderson next week with family in town!
    "Green Guppy"- Old boat, Older motor...full fish box (I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by AkAngler View Post
    How was the evening fish? I'm headed up tonight to see if we can catch anything...hoping I can find fish there so I don't have to drive to Anderson next week with family in town!
    It was pretty slow. We started at 6, and didn't get a bite until about 7:30. I was trying every color at every depth from 15 to 30 ft long line didn't get a single bite and most of our bikes were at either 15 or 20 ft. Ended up Landing to Kokanee. Both Kokanee are starting to get a red tinge to their fins and their jaws were slightly hooking I don't think it will be long till they are red. We are headed up to Anderson in the morning as I hear the bite is still hot I want to get some in the freezer before the pink comes
    Last edited by terek; 07-21-2017 at 04:02 PM.

We didn't get any bites straight across from the marina most of them were just around the corner in between across from the marina and that little Bay down the ways

Default wow

Yep absolutely 4ft of leader spinner to flasher. No BS and I'll absolutely tell and show anyone who is ever interested what I use, what speed I fish at, what depth I get the action, and what smell I put on the corn. As a matter of fact I've even been known to hand over a complete fish catching setup to a guy in need. A guy did that for me one time on the Salmon and we instantly scored fish and since then I've kind of taken a more helping approach if people are interested. It really torques one of my buddies who is confused and thinks we are all competing for food or money. This ain't a fishing tournament and we all eat just fine so it is about FUN! There are a zillion fish in there and the couple hundred guys fishing LP each and every day make NO DIFFERENCE!

Think I'm full of it? So fish by me or sit on the road and watch me work with binocs and you will see. Black Sylvan Pontoon always with the blue cow dog (he does bite and actually owns the boat...I just work there).

Fished Thurs from 10 to 2. Caught 15, one large trout rest kokes with two guys. Then went back out in the evening and with two poles caught another 6. Fished this morning from 7:30 to 1:15. Landed 14 lost a few at the net. 3 little chinooks rest kokes. One was about a foot long and others were tiny like last year. The biggest was pretty peppy and I wish I'd hook into a really big one. Two more very nice spawners that are absolutely turning one female with lose eggs.

So every single fish were caught on a orange wedding ring spinner silver hammer blade, 48" leader off of a silver 4 blade Macks troll lite flasher (which you now have trouble finding for some weird reason ). Thurs they wanted it from 16ft to 25ft throughout the day. Today we caught everything at 11ft depth 55ft back on a DR. I was still getting hits but the boss said no mas and we had to pack it in...Booooo

Saw one metal boat with a blue top getting several hits right at the opening of spring shores and the robie creek arm. Another open white metal boat was also getting some action there as well. We got our first fish on before I could rig up my second pole. Thought it was going to be a crazy day but it was just busy enough to not be disappointing but no where near the ITS ON days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20170721_16_55_26_Pro.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	9102  
    Last edited by F-Bomb; 07-22-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Default Saturday and Sunday

We fished 8 am to 11 am Saturday and landed one Kokanee. Missed 2. Sunday fished from 630 am until 1130 am and landed 1 Koke and a pikeminnow. I didn't see a lot of boats catching but was a nice time with my boys anyway. We were fishing green and orange hoochies at 15, 20, 25 feet.

Default 3 Kok @ Lucky Peak

It was nice to meet and had a short conversation with UncleLucas this morning at Fred Meyer gas station. Glad to meet you UncleLucas.
    Fished LP this morning from 8:30AM til 2:00PM. We trolling 1 loop at Spring Shore Marina then straight to Goose Neck Bay. Nobite at all. DR from 7' ~ 35" a lot of changing lures.
    Got 1st Kok @ noon and boated 3 kok about 14", released 1 trout, lost other 6. DR at 25' pink squid + silver dodger. About 2:00PM there were few wake boats in the area so we quit.
    Hopefully we will catch Kokanee in LP until Nov like last year.

Wave to say hello to AKAngler in Spring shore Marina, I thought that were you. It was windy that time so I couldn't get close to your rig.
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

a 4 foot leader from flasher to spinner!?!?!? Nice try buddy, you would never catch any koks like that. The shorter the better, 6 to 12 inches. Some people that are less experienced actually read these comments and take them to heart......so just stop that......
    I use nothing less than 64" behind blades and in 2014 and 2015 I limited every trip and though I did not limit out every trip last year (2016), I was not skunked on any of my outings and caught 11 fish over 20".

Never thought about using a shorter leader. Dodgers are of course a different story, 6-9" max ahead of whatever.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast